Help with problems on startup checklist!

General support questions and announcements for MS3. See also MS3 manuals.

Moderators: jsmcortina, muythaibxr

TURBOSNAKE
MS/Extra Newbie

Help with problems on startup checklist!

Post by TURBOSNAKE »

I'm having problems with my startup checklist. I don't see the correct tooth logger signal - logging seems to occur for only a few seconds, then stops. I Used a handheld oscilloscope to check the output at the crank trigger wheel sensor, and it seems to be okay. The logging indicator that scrolls across the screen stops after only a few seconds. I've attached the necessary files for analysis, and here are the particulars:

Ford 408W V8 with 36-1 crank trigger wheel and hall effect sensor and MSD 85801 Distributor modified as 1-tooth cam wheel with original VR sensor.

I've upgraded to 1.3.2 firmware and 2.6.04 Tunerstudio software. I'm hoping someone can help. My buddy who has a MS2 on his Mustang and has some experience and me, a newbie, are both stumped...

Best regards, Jim
TURBOSNAKE
MS/Extra Newbie

Re: Help with problems on startup checklist!

Post by TURBOSNAKE »

It might help to point out that the data logging function worked correctly on the JimStim, but the last time I checked it it was running 2.4.1 firmware and about two updates back of TunerStudio....

Jim
Matt Cramer
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by Matt Cramer »

Try adjusting the VR trim pots for more sensitivity.
Matt Cramer -1966 Dodge Dart slant six running on MS3X
TURBOSNAKE
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by TURBOSNAKE »

I pulled the MS3/MS3X back off the car and bench tested it again with the JimStim, and the data logger seems to be working well now. I can see the 36-1 tooth crank wheel sensor and the cam position now.
Crank trigger: 35 pulses, one missing, 35 pulses, and so on.
Cam position sensor: 1 pulse every other 360 degrees of crankshaft revolution

Now I'm in a much better position to resume testing, as i know the MS is working correctly. If I have a problem, it could be with either setting the VR trim pots (Thanks for the tip, Matt!) for more sensitivity or wiring. I'm off on vacation in the morning for a week, so I won't be able to post any results until October 11th.

Thanks,

Jim