Cut x sparks from y events missing

General support questions and announcements for MS3. See also MS3 manuals.

Moderators: jsmcortina, muythaibxr

Nightstalker1993
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Cut x sparks from y events missing

Post by Nightstalker1993 »

Hi guys, I just realised that the Cut X Sparks from Y Events option in Launch Control/Flat Shift is missing in 1.3.2a from 1.2.4. Currently from what I gather, it now cut sparks in a random order. Because of this, now my launch control does not build as much boost as before(previously set to 5 sparks every 7 events, 1 deg retard) and also during flat shift, previously the boost does not drop(maybe very slightly) during clutch-in, but now during clutch in the boost drops and takes 0.5 seconds for the boost to climb back up again. Another thing is that now the cool popping sounds during flat-shifting is almost gone and doesn't sound as cool :cry:

If the new firmware indeed does not have the cut x sparks form y events setting, I might consider reverting back to 1.2.4 as it gives me slightly better timing in drags due to the lower loss of boost during shifts, but then again, I really really want the High Power Time Enrichment as well for safety :cry:

I think I have some old logs with the old firmware at home but currently I'm away from home but here's an image I shot previously with my phone, you can see the dip in boost is lesser in the old firmware than the new firmware. Also, you can see that with the new firmware I only build 0.15bar of boost when previously I build 0.4~0.5bar of boost on launch. Can't upload the log files here as it's larger than 1mb and the older log files are at home and I'm currently away. Here are screenshots showing the graph.

Before on 1.2.4

Currently on 1.3.2a
dontz125
Super MS/Extra'er

Re: Cut x sparks from y events missing

Post by dontz125 »

Zip your log files, to post them.
Temporarily shut down - back soon!
QuadraMAP Sensor Module -- PWM-to-Stepper Controller -- Dual Coil Driver
Coming soon: OctoMAP Sensor Module
TTR Ignition Systems
Nightstalker1993
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Ok, will do that when I reach home in a few days time, never thought of that.

Anyway, so is the cut x sparks from y events permanently removed?
Matt Cramer
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by Matt Cramer »

Nightstalker1993 wrote: Anyway, so is the cut x sparks from y events permanently removed?
Yes. The new version starts by cutting a few sparks when you reach the lower limit and then starts cutting more up to the hard limit.
Matt Cramer -1966 Dodge Dart slant six running on MS3X
Nightstalker1993
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Matt Cramer wrote:
Nightstalker1993 wrote: Anyway, so is the cut x sparks from y events permanently removed?
Yes. The new version starts by cutting a few sparks when you reach the lower limit and then starts cutting more upsetting hard limit.
Which means during flat shift events it will cut spark completely since it is above the hard limit, which is undesirable as I had demonstrated, boost is lost during the clutch in period unlike before. is it possible to reintroduce the old cut x sparks for every y event setting just like how now you have an option for close loop control to either be 'simple' or 'pid'? If possible it would be even better if the setting for cut x sparks every y event is separate for launch in and flat shift as previously when experimenting, different setting produces different results for both. some settings work better for flat shift and some works better for launch.

Please reintroduce the cut x sparks for every y event setting for the more advanced users.
jsmcortina
Site Admin

Post by jsmcortina »

Check out the latest alpha test codes.

James
I can repair or upgrade Megasquirts in UK. http://www.jamesmurrayengineering.co.uk

My Success story: http://www.msextra.com/forums/viewtopic ... 04&t=34277
MSEXTRA documentation at: http://www.msextra.com/doc/index.html
New users, please read the "Forum Help Page".
Nightstalker1993
Helpful MS/Extra'er

jsmcortina wrote:Check out the latest alpha test codes.

James
1.4 alpha? Will do few days later when I get home with good Internet connection. Thanks alot!
hardline
Master MS/Extra'er

Post by hardline »

I had gotten the best response from launch control by not defining spark cut at all and letting megasquirt handle it. It now boosts up to my predefined limit in boost control instead of just going up to about 4-5 psi and leveling off like it did when I was cutting spark.
2000 ZX2 : Sequential COP, MS3 + MS3X + TinyIOx, PWM Returnless Fuel, Flex Fuel, Variable Geometry Intake Manifold, Garrett GTX2863R .82AR housing @ 15 psi