BMW S62B50

General support questions and announcements for MS3. See also MS3 manuals.

Moderators: jsmcortina, muythaibxr

ragepower
Experienced MS/Extra'er

Re: BMW S62B50

Post by ragepower »

Any suggestions???
Matt Cramer
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by Matt Cramer »

The knock data is sent over a SPI bus and does not generate an analog voltage.
Matt Cramer -1966 Dodge Dart slant six running on MS3X
ragepower
Experienced MS/Extra'er

Post by ragepower »

I know it. I had read the knock chip datasheet. If I had understood how it works, MS sent a signal to knock chip trought int/hold to set the knock window I think. So to test it, I disabled the knock feature on ts. And I used the programmable output to test it, but the js 11 didn't react, it stay at 0 v. The led outputs which are used on spi bus reacted. What is the cpu pin to test the continuity directly on the cpu chip pin?
ragepower
Experienced MS/Extra'er

Post by ragepower »

Problem founded and solved. :yeah!:

The problem was the PJ7/JS11 which in connected to int/hold didn't had any signal, it was a problem with the soldering on CPU pin, problem solved, and the knock gauge started working. :yeah!:
ragepower
Experienced MS/Extra'er

Post by ragepower »

Hi again

Today I was on dyno for do some tune after trying to solve some problems like noise problem (improving grounding). Before it could "stop" the dyno at 6000rpm because the noise was making MS do get "lost sync", now this only happens at 7000rpm when the engine is "braking".

But a problem I thought was the tune know it seams that is another problem. I have a "step" on dyno chart at +/- 5800 rpm. I had changed all it might cause this problem. Vvt tables, ignition table,...

Since I have now knock module working and tested (dyno test at 3500 rpm fixed, 20% knock @ 25º ignition advance , 70%knock @ 50º ignition advance), I have analysed it, the knock gauge reached 100%, it that the knock cylinder #8 causing this. I changed the coils to test, no change. The spark plugs are new (changed yesterday).

What suggestion?
ragepower
Experienced MS/Extra'er

Post by ragepower »

Dyno chart
AbatelliCristian
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by AbatelliCristian »

I see your log and msq. The timing ing table is abnormal. In partial tps 40° is high and in the log I see cil8 knock, but this is not problem for power.
I think the power problem is for incorrect VVT intake table. Normaly, the engine not have need the interpolation for change VVT angle. For understand this concept you can make a uniform table. Example: in the dyno you use all table 50degress, then 40 degress, then 30 degress...... at and you can see where is the max torque at "X" degress. I attach photo for example.

The vvt table, in rpm breakpoint not have need the interpolation when you change the degress. Example in my photo line orange and green. My engine have need orange line (40 degress) a 6000 rpm, but a 6200, my engine have need line green (20 degress). My table is 6100rpm-40degress, 6200-20....

Sorry for my poor english....

Regards
Cristian
ragepower
Experienced MS/Extra'er

Post by ragepower »

I understand what are you saying. But I think it isn't related with vvt table. I attached the tune file, before all changes on dyno and it has the same problem. Besides that, on the last tune file, I found the oem ecu values and it has the oem vvt tables and ignition table. After I use them, that step on dyno chart is exactly on the same spot.

I analysed tune to check if there is some change at 5800 rpm and nothing.

I tried to fix the dyno at 6000 rpm and the max power I get was 300 cv. Since that knock on cylinder#8 can be replicated on road, I can set the vvt for like 30 degrees to all rpm range to see if that happens.
AbatelliCristian wrote:I see your log and msq. The timing ing table is abnormal. In partial tps 40° is high and in the log I see cil8 knock, but this is not problem for power.

Regards
Cristian
If you check the dyno test log file, you can see that the spark advance is like 25 degree (wot) when the knock increase.

Could be something with the hardware? The coils and the spark plugs can't be since I switched coils to see if the problem changes from cylinder. And the spark plugs are new. And the problem is always in the same cylinder.

Could be something with BIP that could create a "wrong" spark?
AbatelliCristian
Super MS/Extra'er

If the problem is the spark (and you have some missfire) you should see some "spike" AFR.
ragepower
Experienced MS/Extra'er

Post by ragepower »

AbatelliCristian wrote:
If the problem is the spark (and you have some missfire) you should see some "spike" AFR.
So what could cause knock in only one cylinder?
dontz125
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by dontz125 »

ragepower wrote:So what could cause knock in only one cylinder?
Mechanical damage in the cyl. Incorrect spark plug (wrong heat or wrong extension). Heavy carbon buildup. Incorrect squish machining. Incorrect part selection (higher-compression piston, longer con-rod). On 8-12 cyl engines, miswiring the plug (a plug on a 4-cyl 180 deg out of phase will just sit there and look at you :lol: ).
Temporarily shut down - back soon!
QuadraMAP Sensor Module -- PWM-to-Stepper Controller -- Dual Coil Driver
Coming soon: OctoMAP Sensor Module
TTR Ignition Systems
ragepower
Experienced MS/Extra'er

Post by ragepower »

Just to test, today I did some road test:

1st - normal
2nd - injection semi sequential , ignition normal
3rd - injection normal, ignition wasted cop

The knock didn't change.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/38r1feii4lgdd ... g.rar?dl=0

Any suggestions?

I'm running out of ideas

EDIT: it was on flat road. Something is happening at 6600 rpm
AdeV
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by AdeV »

Faulty injector on #8 causing lean conditions?
ragepower
Experienced MS/Extra'er

Post by ragepower »

Today a couple more test.

First test
Something strange, when was warming up the rpm start to be unstable with steady TPS.

Second test

I did a road test, I had lost sync report (reason 2), but when I remove the laptop usb cable it didn't happen (3rd test)

I know that the afr are a bite high but my priority is to solve the lost sync fisrt.

Maybe the lost sync problem could cause the step problem dyno chart.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/d8j607lqja49e ... 0.zip?dl=0

Any suggestion?

Adjust the vr pot with a scope could help?
AbatelliCristian
Super MS/Extra'er

make composite log during lost sync
ragepower
Experienced MS/Extra'er

Post by ragepower »

AbatelliCristian wrote:make composite log during lost sync
Here you have.

Today was rainning and I couldn't do ir on road test. And only on reving, the lost sync appear at 7200rpm. On the other day, on a road test, it as on 6600rpm.
ragepower
Experienced MS/Extra'er

Post by ragepower »

Here is the tooth log during lost sync.

EDIT: Forget unstable situation, it was the over run fuel cut was triggering. problems solved
Matt Cramer
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by Matt Cramer »

That tooth log does not capture anything that should cause a loss of sync. If a loss of sync happened while that log was running, turn off all noise filters.
Matt Cramer -1966 Dodge Dart slant six running on MS3X
ragepower
Experienced MS/Extra'er

Post by ragepower »

Matt Cramer wrote:That tooth log does not capture anything that should cause a loss of sync. If a loss of sync happened while that log was running, turn off all noise filters.
I turned off all noise filters and done a quick test. The loss of sync is still there.

On monday I will so more tests, there are some information that would be useful for diagnose the problem?
ragepower
Experienced MS/Extra'er

Post by ragepower »

Here there are the log (composite and tooth) on rev limit when I have lost sync.

A couple more details that lead me to a grounding problem.

1st the led outputs (shift light, temp alert, acceleration signal) when are off, they have a little bright. I did a video. And they blink the fan kick in or in rpm transition.

https://youtu.be/173uYToDSDc

2nd the battery voltage gauge on TS is reading when the engine is running and measuring on battery it was 14,7V. If it had a 0,1v difference between TS readinf and multimeter reading was OK but this seams to me a bit too much.