ms3/megastim beginner frustrations

For discussion of Phil Tobin's Tuner Studio software (Only about the tuning software itself, not about how to tune or firmware features)

Moderator: LT401Vette

schmalls supe
MS/Extra Newbie

ms3/megastim beginner frustrations

Post by schmalls supe »

Hi everyone, im really glad to be part of the community really seems like a great place.
Im building my ms3 v3.0 board for my bmw project and have run into some some issues.
I have the board built and it has loaded the firmware and connects to tunerstudio.
I can turn tps and 02 pot and get a normal looking reaction from the gauges. When i turn clt it only moves from about 256 to 248 degrees and mat from only 266 to 256( very high and very little change when i turn the pot through the entire range of motion). I get nothing from rpm even after fiddling with the r52 r56 pot numerous times.
Right now with just the megastim plugged power in I get the idl light on the megastim and the warm up light on the megasquirt to light up when i plug in the usb wire they turn off. I cant use the db9 port nothing happens never connects and the tunerstudio fail to detect it even though the computer does under the device manager.
I think something is loose like the microporcessor card because it does not connect when in the black case and the lights blink randomly with just a slight movement of the device.
I hope someone can understand and help me out a little.
Thank you very much for reading.
Matt Cramer
Super MS/Extra'er

Re: ms3/megastim beginner frustrations

Post by Matt Cramer »

I would first check the board for any stray solder blobs, cold solder joints, and flux residue.
Matt Cramer -1966 Dodge Dart slant six running on MS3X
5.3LS10
Experienced MS/Extra'er

Post by 5.3LS10 »

schmalls supe wrote:Hi everyone, im really glad to be part of the community really seems like a great place.
Im building my ms3 v3.0 board for my bmw project and have run into some some issues.
I have the board built and it has loaded the firmware and connects to tunerstudio.
I can turn tps and 02 pot and get a normal looking reaction from the gauges. When i turn clt it only moves from about 256 to 248 degrees and mat from only 266 to 256( very high and very little change when i turn the pot through the entire range of motion). I get nothing from rpm even after fiddling with the r52 r56 pot numerous times.
Right now with just the megastim plugged power in I get the idl light on the megastim and the warm up light on the megasquirt to light up when i plug in the usb wire they turn off. I cant use the db9 port nothing happens never connects and the tunerstudio fail to detect it even though the computer does under the device manager.
I think something is loose like the microporcessor card because it does not connect when in the black case and the lights blink randomly with just a slight movement of the device.
I hope someone can understand and help me out a little.
Thank you very much for reading.

Have you tried unplugging the daughtboard and jumping the RX and TX pins on the 40pin socket and hook a serial cable up to test the loop back? I would try this. I believe the bg assembly instructions have a procedure to do this. I have not seen it in the msextra documentation though (very easily could have missed it)

Also I am not sure for the BMW or not but do you have to update/change the default thermistor tables used? If so it is under Tools -> Unlock Calibrations -> Calibrate Thermistor Tables.

I have only megasquirted GM vehicles so I do not know if the values for the BMW have to be changed or not.

Agreed with other something might be wrong/missing.

Do you have the 2 cpu slot spacers between the one soldered on the main board and the baughterboard?

Can you check for 5v on the 6? different test spots on the 40 pin connector. If not there is a diagram in the msextra assembly instructions that show you which pins should be GND and which shoudl have 5V.
Shane
-1986 Olds Cutlass 370ci 6.0L LS3 top end, TSP 231/236 .641"/.615" 111LSA, MS3x, T56, 8.8, 4.10 Gears, Spec twin disc clutch
-2000 S10 5.3L, LJMS turbo cam, 4L80e, 8.8, S480 Turbo, MS3x
schmalls supe
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by schmalls supe »

ok thank you for the response, i believe i have found something screwy. The 40pin spacer between the daughterboard and the main board has missing pins/teeth at the one and ten position. I am getting correct readings of 5v between 1 and 2, 19 and 20 and 32 and 31. Between 1 and 16 i am only getting 11.43 it says 12v im not sure if this far off enough to warrant concern.
I guess for now i am going to order a new spacer.
Also i am not sure which holes correspond to RX and TX.
schmalls supe
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by schmalls supe »

Does anyone know where i can purchase a new ae7240-nd, the 40 pin spacer? Maybe just call diyautotune?
kjones6039
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by kjones6039 »

schmalls supe wrote:Does anyone know where i can purchase a new ae7240-nd, the 40 pin spacer? Maybe just call diyautotune?
If you don't have good luck finding one quickly, send me a pm and I will mail you one

Ken
1979 Corvette - 383 CID SBC w/ Holley Pro-Jection 900 CFM TBI, 4-85 lb lo-z injectors & Walbro 255 pump
MS2 v3 w/extra 3.4.2 Release
36-1, Delphi LS2/7 coils in wasted spark, driven by v2.0 logic board from JBPerformance
Spartan Lambda Sensor from 14point7
TinyIOX from JBPerformance
5.3LS10
Experienced MS/Extra'er

Post by 5.3LS10 »

schmalls supe wrote:Does anyone know where i can purchase a new ae7240-nd, the 40 pin spacer? Maybe just call diyautotune?
I would call diyautotune. They have been awesome anytime I needed anything.
Shane
-1986 Olds Cutlass 370ci 6.0L LS3 top end, TSP 231/236 .641"/.615" 111LSA, MS3x, T56, 8.8, 4.10 Gears, Spec twin disc clutch
-2000 S10 5.3L, LJMS turbo cam, 4L80e, 8.8, S480 Turbo, MS3x
S.Bretz
Master MS/Extra'er

Post by S.Bretz »

The radio shack by me has had a 40pin socket spacer for the last 2yrs that I have been going there to pick up odds and ends.
schmalls supe
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by schmalls supe »

alright i got one from digikey but oddly and unfortunately enough nothing has changed still the same symptoms, if i wiggle the usb cable going into the microprocessor board ill be able to change the iat and clt gauges the few degrees i mentioned otherwise they wont change. Wiggling it will also get a half rpm sync, hmm whats should i try next?
Matt Cramer
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by Matt Cramer »

Ok, just to confirm - you still do not have the RS232 port working?

When connecting with USB, can you make a list of what readings do work and which ones don't?
schmalls supe
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by schmalls supe »

correct nothing from the rs232.
from the usb the o2 and and tps are working correctly
the iat only moves from 245 to 254 degrees and the clt only between 240 and 250.
no response from rpm at all.
schmalls supe
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by schmalls supe »

is there somebody in the phoenix area willing to help me out by taking a look at my ms?
i really want to continue on with my project an could use some experienced help.
Matt Cramer
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by Matt Cramer »

If you remove the MS3 daughter card and jumper pins 12 and 13 on the 40 pin header, does it pass a serial loopback test?
schmalls supe
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by schmalls supe »

do you mean is there continuity between 12 and 13?
Matt Cramer
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by Matt Cramer »

Use the loopback test on page 140 of this document:

http://www.msextra.com/doc/pdf/Megasqui ... Up-1.3.pdf
schmalls supe
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by schmalls supe »

ok did the loopback test for the usb db9 cable it worked.
did the loopback est while jumping 12 and 13, that worked.
Still have no connection while using db9 cable in tunerstudio
Now also have no connection while using the usb ab cable in tunerstudio.
Matt Cramer
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by Matt Cramer »

Confirm you still have good 12V and 5V power.
schmalls supe
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by schmalls supe »

just went through step 24 of the board assembly manual checking the 5v and 12v pins on the u1. all he 5v were good the 12v read 11.43 however is that too far off?
Matt Cramer
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by Matt Cramer »

Voltage seems to be OK.

What if you try reloading firmware using the boot jumper?
schmalls supe
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by schmalls supe »

ill give it a shot but i am a bit confused as to what the boot jumper means