No crank signal from Nippondenso CAS

General support questions and announcements for MS3. See also MS3 manuals.

Moderators: jsmcortina, muythaibxr

J_Jones
Helpful MS/Extra'er

No crank signal from Nippondenso CAS

Post by J_Jones »

Good evening all. I have been trying to figure this out and just can't track down the problem. I have checked and double checked my wiring and can't find an issue: I am grounded as per the manual and both signals from the CAS are shielded (the 24 tooth sensor and ground are wired up using the shielded, clear double wire provided by DIY and the sensor reading the single cam tooth is ran in it's own shielded cable and both shields are connected right before the hit the ECU which then go to pin 2). Setup is a 2JZGE with Nippondenso 24-1 CAS using a v3.0 board with MS3X as well. Crank input going to the main board, cam input going to MS3X.

Connections inside: JP7 on MS3X is not jumpered, tach select jumpered to VRiN, TSel jumpered to VROUT, both pots turned 7 counterclockwise. Other wiring that shouldn't have any effect: JSJ to S12C, IAC1A to JS0, IAC1B to JS1, IAC2A to JS2, IAC2B to JS3, S12 on main board to C-leg of D1 on MS3X.

I am including a composite log and a sync error log. You can see that the cam signal is coming in, but nadda from the crank.

I can't seem to find anything goofy with my settings and just not sure where to go from here. Thoughts or suggestions?

Thanks for reading!
Jeremy
Matt Cramer
Super MS/Extra'er

Re: No crank signal from Nippondenso CAS

Post by Matt Cramer »

Is this a V3.0 or V3.57 board?
Matt Cramer -1966 Dodge Dart slant six running on MS3X
J_Jones
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by J_Jones »

V3.0 board
elutionsdesign
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by elutionsdesign »

You need a 5V pullup on the megasquirt side of the tach in.
Graduate of EFI University.

I build, repair, install and tune Megasquirt systems in North Dakota and beyond!
Matt Cramer
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by Matt Cramer »

Are you sure? 2JZ should be a VR sensor and not need a pull up.
Matt Cramer -1966 Dodge Dart slant six running on MS3X
J_Jones
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by J_Jones »

Thanks for the help. A 5v pullup is easy enough to add, I just never saw anything about this in the documentation for a VR sensor. I had been following this: http://msextra.com/doc/ms3/ignition.html#vrv3. Are you saying that I should be following this?: http://msextra.com/doc/ms3/ignition.html#vrv3pull
J_Jones
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by J_Jones »

Still not sure on adding a pullup resistor since it is a standard VR sensor. I also can't find anything on anyone ever doing this for a Nippondenso CAS. Not sure...

I have been thinking about this more and have pretty much assured myself that my wiring is good. I figure that since the cam sensor and the crank sensor share a common ground and the cam sensor is coming in well, then it would make sense for the crank circuit to be good too. I checked the wiring at the CAS and it looks good, I checked the wiring at the DB39 connector and it looks good, shielding looks good--> External Wiring isn't the problem.

I will remove the ECU again when I get home tonight and check internal connections to make sure that all of the soldering is good. I also have a jimstim and will check out the rpm again while I have it on the bench, but rpm looked good when I did the initial testing after assembly.

This was the first board that I assembled myself, so that could be the problem. Anyone know where I can find the specific circuit and components to double check relating to the crank input?

Besides that, I can only think that I have a setting incorrect somewhere. Thoughts?
elutionsdesign
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by elutionsdesign »

Oops, my bad, I just saw CAS and figured it was one of the mitsubishi optical ones.
Graduate of EFI University.

I build, repair, install and tune Megasquirt systems in North Dakota and beyond!
J_Jones
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by J_Jones »

Resolved: User error in assembly. For some reason when it said "r57 isn't used" I read it as "r47 isn't used". So I removed r57 and put in r47 and it synced right up. Runs great!