Shock for the Ignition driver IGBT box.

General support questions and announcements for MS3. See also MS3 manuals.

Moderators: jsmcortina, muythaibxr

KJ_Miller_Cycle
MS/Extra Newbie

Shock for the Ignition driver IGBT box.

Post by KJ_Miller_Cycle »

Hi there, So the current build is running with MS3x and 3.0 main board full sequential fuel and cop ignition. I have an upgraded coil that are dumb and so I built a ignition driver IGBT set up. The problem is that I get shocked when I touch the IGBT housing and any ground. It also does not run smooth. So The system works with smart coil, but I am having spark leakage with my built driver unit and dumb coil. Any help would be great. The ground is attached to the battery negative, the IGBT are the fairchild ones, the mounting tabs are not grounded to the housing.
Matt Cramer
Super MS/Extra'er

Re: Shock for the Ignition driver IGBT box.

Post by Matt Cramer »

Just checking - there ARE mica insulators under the IGBTs, right? If so, make sure the heat sink grease isn't shorting things out.
Matt Cramer -1966 Dodge Dart slant six running on MS3X
KJ_Miller_Cycle
MS/Extra Newbie

Hey Matt, I will give that a try and clean up the heat sink compound.
racingmini_mtl
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by racingmini_mtl »

If you're using a silver type of compound, they are usually conductive. You need to make sure to use a non-conductive type.

Jean
jbperf.com Main site . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . jbperf.com Forum
KJ_Miller_Cycle
MS/Extra Newbie

Thanks for the help... I feel foolish that I missed that my self. I got the super high spec silver compound from my dad and I guess I overlooked that Detail. I have built these several IGBT driver units and always used the white thermal compound grease. So the solution was simple clean off silver and replace with white.