engine wont switch off

General support questions and announcements for MS3. See also MS3 manuals.

Moderators: jsmcortina, muythaibxr

steve4179
Helpful MS/Extra'er

engine wont switch off

Post by steve4179 »

hi im having a little trouble with my ms3x its been switching on and off fine until recently when now it starts fine but I can switch the ignition off and take the key out and it keeps running!! I can pop the earth off the battery and it keeps running, the only way I can turn it off is thru a switch ive got wired to the coil for use as an immobiliser, ive changed all of the relays and checked all the connections and they all seem fine, any ideas anyone???

cheers in advance
steve
DaveEFI
Super MS/Extra'er

Re: engine wont switch off

Post by DaveEFI »

Don't disconnect the battery ground with the engine running - there's the possibility of the alternator producing far more then 12 volts and turning your MS into toast.

It sounds like a relay is holding on by getting volts from somewhere other than its switch. Impossible to guess at without a circuit diagram of the entire car, and MS installation.
Rover SD1 3.5 EFI
MS2 V3
EDIS
Tech Edge O2
London UK.
steve4179
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by steve4179 »

Its an old car (78 capri) that had alot of electrical gremlins chances are the ignition barrel or the place on the original fuse box that i took a live for the relay from has gone south
Barton
Master MS/Extra'er

Post by Barton »

use ONLY switched 12v to power all the relays, inyectors, coils, idle valve, etc etc tec connected to the ms, I'm sure your problem is there.
Megasquirted engines: 4g63, k24a2, b16-b18, duratec, ecotec, fiat 8v-16v, modular 4.6 32v, 1fz-fe, fiat 5cil 20v, Opel corsa, G54B, VW AG, 2ZZ-GE.
https://www.facebook.com/Bartonefi
instagram: @bartonefi
kjones6039
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by kjones6039 »

Barton wrote:use ONLY switched 12v to power all the relays, inyectors, coils, idle valve, etc etc tec connected to the ms, I'm sure your problem is there.
Very good advice! Voice of experience here........ I once had a 'run on' condition in which the cooling fan acted as a generator and wouldn't let the engine shut down. All caused because I, in my infinite wisdom, decided to vary from the manual just a little bit. BAD idea! Stick with the recommended wiring in the manual religiously!

Just the old guys 2 cents.......

Ken
1979 Corvette - 383 CID SBC w/ Holley Pro-Jection 900 CFM TBI, 4-85 lb lo-z injectors & Walbro 255 pump
MS2 v3 w/extra 3.4.2 Release
36-1, Delphi LS2/7 coils in wasted spark, driven by v2.0 logic board from JBPerformance
Spartan Lambda Sensor from 14point7
TinyIOX from JBPerformance
slow_hemi6
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by slow_hemi6 »

You sometimes get an issue in old cars when you change them to internally regulated alternators where the alternator keeps the car alive. Generally a diode rather than a bridge across the old ext regulator plug fixes the problem.
Find the Manuals up top under Quick links: Manuals. :RTFM:
Cheers Luke
Nightstalker1993
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by Nightstalker1993 »

I actually encountered something similar last year when I was running an MS2.

Was burning a tune file my friend sent to me via MsDroid over Bluetooth to the MS2 and the firmware got corrupted, showing me 16k RPM and other wacky readings with the engine off. The ECU refused to turn off and my ign was clearly turned on even with my key out, suspected my turbo timer was faulty and even after removing the turbo timer the ECU was still switched on. After reflashing the MS2 and disconnecting/reconnecting the ECU, the problem was solved. Honestly no idea what caused it though until today....
steve4179
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by steve4179 »

The wiring diagram has been followed and the relay is powered up by an ignition live taken from the original fuse box that powers a new fuse box that powers ms3, injectors, fuel pump, lambda, coil, and something else that i can't remember right now, its been working fine for ages then i had an issue with the fuel pump relay not switching the pump on so i changed that and then it started doing this so i assumed that the power relay had died to and changed it and double checked all wiring and it still runs on!
DeadStiff
Experienced MS/Extra'er

Post by DeadStiff »

Turn the ignition on then off, then start pulling relays until the MS turns off. Then inspect how the offends relay is wired.
MS3+X on 73 Karmann Ghia ignition only with LS2 truck coils firing in sequential, fuel next.
2333(103*70) Type 4 with DTM also sitting in living room just need exhaust.
steve4179
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by steve4179 »

so done a few electrical tests and it turns out the place on the original fuse box that I took the ignition live from is now somehow still getting about 8 volts once the ignition is switched off and the engine is running which seems to be just enough to keep everything going, im gonna pull the bay loom and check for any damaged wires that could be feeding the ignition some power, short of that ill put the power relay on a switched live instead of ignition

cheers for everyones help