Hello and help question

General support questions and announcements for MS3. See also MS3 manuals.

Moderators: jsmcortina, muythaibxr

anti carburetor
MS/Extra Newbie

Hello and help question

Post by anti carburetor »

Greetings!
Over the past two years I've been playing with my MS-3 project and have encountered a snag and would like the benefit of the experience here.
The short version is after changing an ignition coil (IGN-1) and a hall sensor the MS will not achieve sync while cranking. This engine had been running with a different hall sensor so I am confident of the software settings. I can remove the wheel assembly from the engine and spin it by hand and get a perfect sync. I am convinced that the starter is introducing 'noise' that interferes with sync.

There are settings in Tuner Studio to address noise. I would welcome some initial settings to attempt to solve this.

Ignition only using:

36-1 wheel
hall sensor
MS-3 without sequential

Thankssomuch!
grom_e30
Super MS/Extra'er

Re: Hello and help question

Post by grom_e30 »

it sounds feasible, can you post logs
1990 bmw 320i daily driver with m20b25 ms3 sequential fuel, 380cc injectors, d585 coil near plug, home made cam sync, launch control, fan control, vss, homebrew egt logging what's next????
anti carburetor
MS/Extra Newbie

grom_e30 wrote:it sounds feasible, can you post logs
Ummm, with no sync would there even be a log to examine? I did verify that the starter is causing the sync problem. Once I changed the starter to a different model the cranking sync was normal. Unfortunatly I need to use the starter that causes the problem. How can I trap the noise? Capacitor somewhere in the circuit perhaps?

Ideas please.
grom_e30
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by grom_e30 »

you can capture composite and tooth logs that record the signals from the crank signals ect under the 'diagnostic & high speed loggers' tab then you can see if its picking up noise usually manifests as extra teeth or if its missing some signals.
1990 bmw 320i daily driver with m20b25 ms3 sequential fuel, 380cc injectors, d585 coil near plug, home made cam sync, launch control, fan control, vss, homebrew egt logging what's next????
anti carburetor
MS/Extra Newbie

grom_e30 wrote:you can capture composite and tooth logs that record the signals from the crank signals ect under the 'diagnostic & high speed loggers' tab then you can see if its picking up noise usually manifests as extra teeth or if its missing some signals.
Gotcha. I'll fool with that the next time I get a chance.
Thanks!
Matt Cramer
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by Matt Cramer »

You mentioned it's an IGN-1; what are you doing for an ignition module? The IGN-1 requires a coil driver; the IGN-1A does not.
Matt Cramer -1966 Dodge Dart slant six running on MS3X
anti carburetor
MS/Extra Newbie

Matt Cramer wrote:You mentioned it's an IGN-1; what are you doing for an ignition module? The IGN-1 requires a coil driver; the IGN-1A does not.
My blunder! It's a logic controlled coil, whichever number that is.

I attempted to get a data log but I never did find the place that it saved to on my computer. I'll give it another go when time allows. Too bad 'real' work gets in the way of 'recreational' work!

Thanks.