PWM Fuel Pump - Solid-State Relay? Inexpensive options?

General support questions and announcements for MS3. See also MS3 manuals.

Moderators: jsmcortina, muythaibxr

goodysgotacuda
Helpful MS/Extra'er

PWM Fuel Pump - Solid-State Relay? Inexpensive options?

Post by goodysgotacuda »

I am looking for a way to PWM a Gen 5 Camaro fuel pump module [or similar] in a 70's muscle car running an MS3.

I have done some researching into adding a Ford FPDM, which may require two, to receive the control signal from the ECU and ground the fuel pump appropriately. I have also seen a mention or two in using a Solid-State Relay [SSR] to receive the ECU control and ground the fuel pump. That seems as if it would work, but perhaps suffer as a long-term solution. Another option I have found are the $250-$400 aftermarket fuel pump control modules, which seem quite pricey given what the goal is.

What have you used to PWM control a fuel pump?

Please provide as much detail as you can on your specific setup if it is something like a Ford FPDM or Chevy FPCM

Thanks !
1972 Plymouth 'Cuda - 5.7L Hemi w/T56 Magnum

MS3 Gold Box, TunerStudio MS/MegaLogViewerHD user
dontz125
Super MS/Extra'er

Re: PWM Fuel Pump - Solid-State Relay? Inexpensive options?

Post by dontz125 »

I have the parts in hand to go to prototype on a licensed uprated version (50A pump current, 125C ambient temperature) of the Madhu standalone PWM pump controller. Would you be interested in being my field tester? The price I have in mind will be FAR less than $250-400!

If you are interested, I'll send you the assembled unit; once you are satisfied, I'll invoice you for US$65 + 15 shipping. You would need to supply your own fuel sensor, either an AEM 100psi sensor, or a Ford / Bosch 3- or 4-wire unit. Note that the Bosch sensor also incorporates the MAP value, providing proper and constant dP across the injector, critical for safe and predictable boosted performance. I'd need to know which sensor you plan to use before I can ship.

Thoughts?
Temporarily shut down - back soon!
QuadraMAP Sensor Module -- PWM-to-Stepper Controller -- Dual Coil Driver
Coming soon: OctoMAP Sensor Module
TTR Ignition Systems
goodysgotacuda
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by goodysgotacuda »

dontz125 wrote:I have the parts in hand to go to prototype on a licensed uprated version (50A pump current, 125C ambient temperature) of the Madhu standalone PWM pump controller. Would you be interested in being my field tester? The price I have in mind will be FAR less than $250-400!

If you are interested, I'll send you the assembled unit; once you are satisfied, I'll invoice you for US$65 + 15 shipping. You would need to supply your own fuel sensor, either an AEM 100psi sensor, or a Ford / Bosch 3- or 4-wire unit. Note that the Bosch sensor also incorporates the MAP value, providing proper and constant dP across the injector, critical for safe and predictable boosted performance. I'd need to know which sensor you plan to use before I can ship.

Thoughts?

I would be interested, unfortunately I am not at a point to running my car off of one just yet. I will forward this to someone that may be interested.

MWPau
Master MS/Extra'er

Post by MWPau »

I use one of these with an added largeish (to220) flyback diode:
http://www.jaycar.com.au/productView.asp?ID=SY4086
Toyota Celica GT4/Alltrac with 5S-GTE stroker (2.2L I4 turbo, high CR) on E85 w/FlexFuel.
MS3 + MS3X + KnockBoard + RTC + BT + DIY CAN-IO-Board + DIY CAN Digital Dash.
goodysgotacuda
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by goodysgotacuda »

MWPau wrote:I use one of these with an added largeish (to220) flyback diode:
http://www.jaycar.com.au/productView.asp?ID=SY4086

Thank you for the input.

Can you familiarize me with the location of the diode and perhaps the unit rating for them? I am familiar with the diode function, but haven't spec'd one or added one to a circuit before.

Also, how long have you ran that setup? Does it send the pump a constant [lower] ground path or is it a square-wave PWM directly to the pump?

goodysgotacuda
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by goodysgotacuda »

bump!