Upgraded to 1.3.2, engine catches but won't start

General support questions and announcements for MS3. See also MS3 manuals.

Moderators: jsmcortina, muythaibxr

Dennis930
Experienced MS/Extra'er

Upgraded to 1.3.2, engine catches but won't start

Post by Dennis930 »

Background: Had my Porsche 930 running good on 1.0.2, then last fall the clutch had a catatrophic failure. Just recently pulled the engine for the clutch repair. While I was in there I rewired MS3 + MS3X main cables at the engine to eliminate the old style relay board. I upgaded the firmware to 1.3.2 and checked all injector outputs, all spark outputs, idle valve, speedo, boost and ran the fuel pumps using the test modes in TS. I checked the TPS range and it was the same as before. I ran a tooth composite log and everything synched OK.

So, now trying to start the car, the engine catches quickly but as soon as WUE and ASE are enabled the injector pulswidths go to zero and the engine won't start as can be seen on the attached datalog. The "engine" status in the datalog says that WUE and ASE are enabled but there are no pulsewidths. It does not loose synch during this event. I have checked all my settings in TS but can not find anything that would cause this. I would appreciate any help on this.

Thanks,
Dennis
Porsche 930 3.0 Slantnose
MS3/MS3X Sequential Injection & Spark, MS Knock, Dual plug, LS2 coils, Siemens 55 lb/hr HiZ injectors, ALM-ADV Wide Band,
Carrera Intake, Extrude honed, Ford 70mm Throttlebody, GTX3071R Turbo
Matt Cramer
Super MS/Extra'er

Re: Upgraded to 1.3.2, engine catches but won't start

Post by Matt Cramer »

It looks like the barometric correction curve is going to zero. The way barometric correction is implemented changed and you need to check those settings.
Matt Cramer -1966 Dodge Dart slant six running on MS3X
slow_hemi6
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by slow_hemi6 »

Each firmware comes with Release Notes. Upgrading and not reading these Release Notes is a sure fire way to trouble and disappointment.
Find the Manuals up top under Quick links: Manuals. :RTFM:
Cheers Luke
Dennis930
Experienced MS/Extra'er

Post by Dennis930 »

Thanks Matt and Luke. I did read the release notes and changed the calibration settings from 147, 14.7 to 0, 0, but I neglected to change the barometic correction table values to 100% from 0%. I will reset and try again tomorrow.

Thanks,
Dennis
MS3/MS3X Sequential Injection & Spark, MS Knock, Dual plug, LS2 coils, Siemens 55 lb/hr HiZ injectors, ALM-ADV Wide Band,
Dennis930
Experienced MS/Extra'er

Post by Dennis930 »

I reset my baro corrrection table and now I am getting injector pulsewidths after the engine exceeds 600 canking RPM's. But it wil still not start. It catches and dies. I have made no changes to my previous crank, wue or ase which worked before 1.3.2. I did change to open loop idle control because the code has changed for closed loop. I read some of the manual and I think I may have spotted a problem.

When cranking the engine the "not synched" light never goes from red to green in TS, not even a flicker. But I think the composite log shows that it is synched. So if someone could take a look at the composite log to see if it is OK or not that would be great. All the datalogs of my attempted starts do not show a sync loss.

Thanks,
Dennis
slow_hemi6
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by slow_hemi6 »

It's in the release notes.
10. Two TunerStudio dash indicators have been renamed:
Not Synced -> Not RPM Synced
Half-sync -> Half-RPM sync
You will need to re-load you dash (right-click on a blank area of the dash
select Load/Save, then Load dashboard, then Accept) or update manually.
Find the Manuals up top under Quick links: Manuals. :RTFM:
Cheers Luke
grom_e30
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by grom_e30 »

10. Two TunerStudio dash indicators have been renamed:
Not Synced -> Not RPM Synced
Half-sync -> Half-RPM sync
You will need to re-load you dash (right-click on a blank area of the dash
select Load/Save, then Load dashboard, then Accept) or update manually.
from the release notes did you try this?
1990 bmw 320i daily driver with m20b25 ms3 sequential fuel, 380cc injectors, d585 coil near plug, home made cam sync, launch control, fan control, vss, homebrew egt logging what's next????
Dennis930
Experienced MS/Extra'er

Post by Dennis930 »

I reloaded the dashboard and the "rpm not synced" light now turns green when cranking the engine. That means the engine is synching properly. So, I guess I need to look at something else to see the why the engine will not start. I looked at some old datalogs where the engine started right up with the same settings for crank pulse, wue and ase, since I did not change any of these settings for 1.3.2, but did not see anything that stood out. I have attached a datalog of attempting to starts today. Tomorrow I will recheck timing, but that should not have changed. Any ideas?

Thanks,
Dennis
grom_e30
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by grom_e30 »

it looks like it dying as soon as it changes to sequential, you could try switching to semi sequential fuel and wasted cop, and if it stays running then i think if you change the poll level to low it may run sequentially.
1990 bmw 320i daily driver with m20b25 ms3 sequential fuel, 380cc injectors, d585 coil near plug, home made cam sync, launch control, fan control, vss, homebrew egt logging what's next????
Dennis930
Experienced MS/Extra'er

Post by Dennis930 »

grom,

Thank you for your help. I checked timing today and it was right on the money. I tried to start today, but the same thing, catches but won't continue to run. I tried semi-sequential as you suggested, but had the same outcome, it will not start. I increased ASE to see if that would help, but no go. I reloaded the program to see if that had an effect, but no difference. I connected the timing light while trying to start to see if spark was staying the whole time, which it was (I did this to verify all my power relays were staying energized after the crank mode ended). Tomorrow I will pull the plugs to see what they look like. Next I will try leaning things out if the plugs look too wet.

-Dennis
jsmcortina
Site Admin

Post by jsmcortina »

Did you try Wasted COP?

James
I can repair or upgrade Megasquirts in UK. http://www.jamesmurrayengineering.co.uk

My Success story: http://www.msextra.com/forums/viewtopic ... 04&t=34277
MSEXTRA documentation at: http://www.msextra.com/doc/index.html
New users, please read the "Forum Help Page".
Dennis930
Experienced MS/Extra'er

Post by Dennis930 »

James,

I tried wasted spark this morning and it will start and run, but very badly. It is missing badly. I need track this down. It will not start if I go back to COP sequential.

Thanks,

-Dennis
grom_e30
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by grom_e30 »

Did you try 'wasted spark' or 'wasted cop'?
Dennis930
Experienced MS/Extra'er

Post by Dennis930 »

grom,
I figured out I needed wasted COP. So, now it runs good with this setting. What do I need to do get to run in sequential? Change the poll level?

Thanks,
-Dennis
grom_e30
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by grom_e30 »

im not totally sure as never used poll, but i would guess either changing the poll level setting, or adding 360deg to your tooth1#.
Dennis930
Experienced MS/Extra'er

Re: Upgraded to 1.3.2, engine catches but won't start (Corre

Post by Dennis930 »

I changed the poll level from "high" to "low" and now it runs in full sequential. I do not know what changed from version 1.0.2 to 1.3.2, but my old settings would not work for this. Or maybe my rewire changed the output level of my hall sensor for the cam. Anyway, everything is good now. I thank all responders for your help.

-Dennis
grom_e30
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by grom_e30 »

lot has changed in the f/w over that time glad you got it sorted.