How did you set up Launch control?

General support questions and announcements for MS3. See also MS3 manuals.

Moderators: jsmcortina, muythaibxr

64Vair
Helpful MS/Extra'er

How did you set up Launch control?

Post by 64Vair »

OK, I want launch control, and just wondering how everyone set it up. I have it set to use launch in on the MS3X board. I am thinking of making a bracket and putting a N/C micro switch on the clutch, so when the clutch is in, the launch in is grounded, and launch control/flat shift is enabled. I suppose I could do it with a switch, but this seems pretty easy, and would be consistent. Plus no need to ever disable it, if the clutch is in I don 't want to rev higher than launch RPM anyway. So what does everyone think? What are you guys doing? Inquiring minds want to know!
Tom :RTFM:
RIT rocks, Cancer sucks!
jsmcortina
Site Admin

Re: How did you set up Launch control?

Post by jsmcortina »

I use a pull-type bike brake light switch with an adjustable chain and a spring in the chain. I've got the switch set part-way through the bite point.

James
I can repair or upgrade Megasquirts in UK. http://www.jamesmurrayengineering.co.uk

My Success story: http://www.msextra.com/forums/viewtopic ... 04&t=34277
MSEXTRA documentation at: http://www.msextra.com/doc/index.html
New users, please read the "Forum Help Page".
64Vair
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by 64Vair »

Interesting. My clutch is a dual disc set up, and to fully disengage it, you need to put your foot about through the floor, but even a small amount of pedal travel will "loosen" the grab a bit. Hum, your idea is food for thought, thank you!
Tom
RIT rocks, Cancer sucks!
dontz125
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by dontz125 »

Be careful where you have your switch engage point, because that's also your disengage point going the other way. If the switch doesn't click until you're all the way to the floor, as soon as you back the pedal off to start feathering in the clutch the launch system will switch off.
Temporarily shut down - back soon!
QuadraMAP Sensor Module -- PWM-to-Stepper Controller -- Dual Coil Driver
Coming soon: OctoMAP Sensor Module
TTR Ignition Systems
64Vair
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by 64Vair »

dontz125 wrote:Be careful where you have your switch engage point, because that's also your disengage point going the other way. If the switch doesn't click until you're all the way to the floor, as soon as you back the pedal off to start feathering in the clutch the launch system will switch off.
"Feather" in the clutch??? Clearly you have never seen me drive LOL! I do understand what you are saying, What you describe does not concern me as much as flat shifting with an unloaded engine does. That is more my concern. Will have to play with this a bit, my concern is keeping the revs up, without over reving the motor. Since my pedal travel is pretty fast, will probably set it so when it is a couple inches or so down, launch control/flat shift is activated. When I shift I NEVER push the clutch in all the way, I just tap it with my foot and SLAM the shifter!
Thanks for your input, it is appreciated.
Tom
RIT rocks, Cancer sucks!
dontz125
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by dontz125 »

Well, yes - but you started the topic talking about launch control, not flat shifting! :D
Temporarily shut down - back soon!
QuadraMAP Sensor Module -- PWM-to-Stepper Controller -- Dual Coil Driver
Coming soon: OctoMAP Sensor Module
TTR Ignition Systems
64Vair
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by 64Vair »

dontz125 wrote:Well, yes - but you started the topic talking about launch control, not flat shifting! :D
Very true, yes I did. :mrgreen:
RIT rocks, Cancer sucks!