VW Hall Sensor TCI unit (0 227 100 124) and ballast resister

General support questions and announcements for MS3. See also MS3 manuals.

Moderators: jsmcortina, muythaibxr

Ratmos
Helpful MS/Extra'er

VW Hall Sensor TCI unit (0 227 100 124) and ballast resister

Post by Ratmos »

Hi Guys,

I have done a search on the forum to try and find answers to my questions. Possibly the VW MS3/3X users could help out. Can I confirm that terminal 1 on the TCI unit (the hall sensor switching unit) does go to the -ve side of the ignition coil ? This is the terminal that I intend to provide the signal for the MSD 6BTM to fire to the ignition coil. The existing ignition has a ballast resister. I read somewhere that the MS3, MSD set up should not have a ballast resister connected. Is this correct? I'm getting close to installing the MS3 so I want to get as much right as possible with the installation. The project is MS3/3X fuel only using stock coil dizzy with MSD6BTM firing ignition and providing the boost retard. I know there is some information on the MS2 manual about VW set ups but I don't know if this also applies to the MS3. Please forgive me if these questions have been answered already. I have tried to research the subject but have not got definite information on line.

Regards
Phil
prof315
Super MS/Extra'er

Re: VW Hall Sensor TCI unit (0 227 100 124) and ballast resi

Post by prof315 »

Why on earth would you want to do things that way with an MS3? Especially on a forced induction engine? You can get a decent rpm signal from the hall effect sensor in the distributor with basic trigger mode and use MS to either fire the coil directly or to trigger the MSD. Then you can run your spark curve any way you'd like and not be stuck with something that has limited tunabilty.
Linfert Performance/321 Motorsports
SCCA 2019 SM National Champion Crew Chief
SCCA 2023 FP National Champion Tuner/electrical engineer
100s of MS systems built installed and tuned
Support the developers!
savagerocco
Master MS/Extra'er

Post by savagerocco »

Im with The Prof. Use the MSD but run the hall to the ms and have the ability to change your timing in an actual map. Why half ass it now? It literaly wont take you and more work to hook it up wiring wise to run it either way.
Brent Savage
life behind the zion curtain
90 audi RS2 20VTQ 6sp MS3, MSX COP and Sequential and now MAF
87 Scirocco 2.0 ABA 16v EIP tubular cast MSII COP
86 Audi 4K20VTQ MSII
90 Audi 90 sedan 3.6l DOHC V8TT (project car)
89 VW cabbie (bitch basket) 2.0 ABA Turbo MSII
Ratmos
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by Ratmos »

This is just the feedback I needed. Thanks guys. I had considered firing the MSD from the hall sensor directly but I had that option to also use the original feed to the negative side of the coil which comes from the VW TCI unit. I forgot to mention because I am new to MS, I am running a fuel only tune for now and then ,when I feel confident enough, add the MS ignition control. Thanks again for your input.

Phil