Setup difference MS2 vs MS3

General support questions and announcements for MS3. See also MS3 manuals.

Moderators: jsmcortina, muythaibxr

dragbug
Experienced MS/Extra'er

Setup difference MS2 vs MS3

Post by dragbug »

Most of the DIY articles for board configurations for the different options are based on MS1 or MS2. Seems that MS3 has been around long enough that many people are using MS3 but most if not all of the tech articles do not reflect MS3. So I was wondering if the configurations referenced for MS2 v3 and v3.57 boards would be identical for MS3 v3 and v3.57 boards or will there be differences?
1966 Mustang Fastback
302 HO,Trick Flow TW 170 heads, Headers/dumps, MS3
elutionsdesign
Super MS/Extra'er

Re: Setup difference MS2 vs MS3

Post by elutionsdesign »

I guess the biggest change would be the flexibility in configuration, the MS3 provides more. For example, MS2 has four choices for a boost control pin, MS3 has 30. So they could be identical but they probably wouldn't be.
Graduate of EFI University.

I build, repair, install and tune Megasquirt systems in North Dakota and beyond!
dragbug
Experienced MS/Extra'er

Post by dragbug »

What I am getting at is if I have a specific configuration I am doing and all I can find is procedures specific to the MS2 V3 board, can I apply those exact procedures to the MS3 V3 board? Because I have found several similar situations as mine but the procedures are almost always MS2 based.
1966 Mustang Fastback
302 HO,Trick Flow TW 170 heads, Headers/dumps, MS3
dontz125
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by dontz125 »

Obviously the MS3 has options the MS2 does not, but within the limits of the MS2 most of the firmware settings are similar. If you're talking about hardware mods in the proto area and on the heat sink, the same components and circuits are used. The DIP40 pinouts are the same, with the exception of the MS2 3rd and 4th fuel channels - the bare MS3 card only has two injector channels.

Of course, once the MS3X board enters the picture, all bets are off.
Temporarily shut down - back soon!
QuadraMAP Sensor Module -- PWM-to-Stepper Controller -- Dual Coil Driver
Coming soon: OctoMAP Sensor Module
TTR Ignition Systems