Question on DIYAutone IGN-1A Race Coil setup

General support questions and announcements for MS3. See also MS3 manuals.

Moderators: jsmcortina, muythaibxr

hobieboy
Master MS/Extra'er

Question on DIYAutone IGN-1A Race Coil setup

Post by hobieboy »

Hi,
I read the spec on the website but would like to know how should I set it up optimally.
The spec says: nominal dwell 3.0ms, as little as 2.5ms would work. Spark duration 2.9ms.

So, do I set Spark Duration to 2.9ms in TunerStudio? The help sign suggests 1.0ms typically so 2.9ms seems VERY long.
I seem to have ignition break up in high RPM/boost, so would it hurt if I set dwell at >4000 RPM / >150kpa to use, say, 3.3ms dwell? What value would be optimal for these coils?

thanks!
Matt Cramer
Super MS/Extra'er

Re: Question on DIYAutone IGN-1A Race Coil setup

Post by Matt Cramer »

Yes, I would use the higher spark duration value. In fact, it can help to crank up the spark duration to 2.5 times your nominal dwell; this will keep the coils from exceeding the maximum 40% duty cycle.

I would try to first check you're getting adequate power (our land speed car is using a 10 gauge wire for every 3 coils) and that your plug gap is appropriate.
Matt Cramer -1966 Dodge Dart slant six running on MS3X
hobieboy
Master MS/Extra'er

Re: Question on DIYAutone IGN-1A Race Coil setup

Post by hobieboy »

ok - I set nominal dwell to 2.5ms and tried to use dwell table to increase it to ~3.3ms.
Will increase spark duration to 3ms (I think 2.5 times would be a little too long?). But from MS perspective, does it simply mean that MS3 will "wait" at least the spark duration period before it recharges the coil?

I am using 12 gauge wire from battery/alternator directly to a "distribution fuse panel" where it breaks out into 4 fuses each supply 3 coils. The wire from fuse panel to the coil is 14/16 gauge. Sounds like I may need to rewire with thicker wire, at least from battery to the fuse panel?