Trigger settings issue

General support questions and announcements for MS3. See also MS3 manuals.

Moderators: jsmcortina, muythaibxr

cukali
Experienced MS/Extra'er

Trigger settings issue

Post by cukali »

MS3 with MS3x.

2001 Nissan Frontier Engine
AEM CAS
Stock CAS
DIY CAS

ECU works fine on Stim. All systems work.

When in car it will not pick up RPMs while cranking if I use dual wheel setting. If I set to basic trigger it works.

The AEM CAS has 24 outter slots and 1 inner.
The Stock has 360 outter and 4 inner.

If I use the AEM and select basic trigger it of course says I crank at about 2000rpms. If I use the stock wheel it starts up and runs but of course with kickbacks. If I use the DIY auto tune wheel it also starts up.

BUT I want to have the dual wheel and sequential. Nothing I have tried so far as wheel selections has worked.

Attached is the msq.
Matt Cramer
Super MS/Extra'er

Re: Trigger settings issue

Post by Matt Cramer »

What problems are you having running our trigger wheel in dual wheel with missing teeth mode?
Matt Cramer -1966 Dodge Dart slant six running on MS3X
jsmcortina
Site Admin

Post by jsmcortina »

As Matt alludes to, the MSQ is set incorrectly.
You need "Dual wheel with missing tooth" NOT "Dual wheel"

James
I can repair or upgrade Megasquirts in UK. http://www.jamesmurrayengineering.co.uk

My Success story: http://www.msextra.com/forums/viewtopic ... 04&t=34277
MSEXTRA documentation at: http://www.msextra.com/doc/index.html
New users, please read the "Forum Help Page".
cukali
Experienced MS/Extra'er

Post by cukali »

The MSQ I posted is not the DIY CAS. Sorry I didnt specify that.

The trigger wheel I am trying to use is the AEM CAS. (the DIY CAS is on my other vehicle)

AEM has 24 teeth (no missing) for outer ring and one tooth inner. I had the truck running on an AEM ECU so the CAS is whats in it.
I am currently running it using the stock CAS and basic trigger.
I tried it with the DIY CAS and it wouldnt pick up the tach when set in dual mode. But yes I had dual wheel missing tooth. But the AEM wont work in dual mode either.

I believe I have to adjust my VR pots. The reason I thought my POTs were adjusted correctly was because one CAS uses the outter ring and one the inner BUT I switch the wired inputs before testing each one...so for some stupid reason I was thinking I was testing both cam and crank circuits by switching wheels....im getting old and brains not all there. Sorry for that.

I am going to go down and try adjusting the VR circuit....
cukali
Experienced MS/Extra'er

Post by cukali »

James, I just read your reply from a while back about the stock nissan CAS not have kickback problems if used properly. That it does pick up the 360deg outter slots.

If I use the outter 360 and keep the stock CAS will I lose seqeuntial? I will still try and adjust my POTs. Back 6 years or so ago I tossed the stock CAS because I couldnt prevent kick backs....although I didnt have a cam pick-up.