Misfire/timing off?

General support questions and announcements for MS3. See also MS3 manuals.

Moderators: jsmcortina, muythaibxr

velyse
MS/Extra Newbie

Misfire/timing off?

Post by velyse »

Recently replaced our coils because it appeared they were fried from another problem we sorted out earlier however now after trying to get her fired back up again, started with a bang, firing on two cylinders, checked timing with our light and, while unreliable, it was able to report that coil 1 was firing about 90 degrees BTDC.

I checked my plug wires and made sure I had everything in the right order, checked my spark outputs with the test mode and they are indeed all in the right places and sparking consistently.
My timing marks are all in the right places and the trigger wheel settings are where I left them.
Just a complete mystery and I don't even have the slightest clue what to look for now.

Attached my msq and a log file.
elutionsdesign
Super MS/Extra'er

Re: Misfire/timing off?

Post by elutionsdesign »

Well, you have to trust what the timing light is telling you. 350 degrees is a rather interesting tooth #1 angle for a 36-1 wheel. I'd go over everything again if it were me, then make the adjustments to get the timing back to where it should be.
Graduate of EFI University.

I build, repair, install and tune Megasquirt systems in North Dakota and beyond!
velyse
MS/Extra Newbie

Re: Misfire/timing off?

Post by velyse »

elutionsdesign wrote:Well, you have to trust what the timing light is telling you. 350 degrees is a rather interesting tooth #1 angle for a 36-1 wheel. I'd go over everything again if it were me, then make the adjustments to get the timing back to where it should be.
It's a custom wheel, probably didnt put it in the right place like we should have but it's been working consistently. The hall sensor is about 10 ATDC so I put in 350, I don't suppose I could use -10.0 could I? Either way I don't think that's the issue as it's been fine since day one, seems that cylinders 2 and 3 are firing and 1 and 4 are not.
I checked my spark again for the like 80th time and I get spark on all four cylinders in the right order, why the timing is off is a mystery though.

I can't seem to get the timing light to come on with any regularity anymore though, it was working fine before though.

We were getting the ECU telling us low voltage and going offline before, we added another ground strap and it's no longer saying that, I have a hunch it might not be enough ground still but it's still strange to get spark 90 degrees off.