Anti-Theft feature in MS3?

General support questions and announcements for MS3. See also MS3 manuals.

Moderators: jsmcortina, muythaibxr

Healey3000
Experienced MS/Extra'er

Anti-Theft feature in MS3?

Post by Healey3000 »

Hi,

Anyone considered building in an anti-theft feature into an MS3-based ECU? It may be something as simple as a two-pin socket somewhere out of sight but easy for the driver to get to into which a piece of hardware gets plugged in, say a specific resistor value. You could certainly do something more elaborate, such as a One-Wire memory device.

Can MS be configured so that if the resistor is not seen, it refuses to allow the car to start? I realize that this won't stop the very determined but it may at least prevent petty thieves from making off with the car.

Thanks.
nathaninwa
Super MS/Extra'er

Re: Anti-Theft feature in MS3?

Post by nathaninwa »

Maybe to simplify it a bit. Use an old school gm pickup high beam switch mounted up high on the firewall and use the alternate reqfuel setting to drop it to zero so no fuel is squirted at all and maybe use a 5 pin relay also that would cut the power to the pump amongst lots of other things, like the 12 power to the ms itself
Volvo 940, 2jzge, MS3Pro, daily
240Z, 2JZ, MS3Pro boost control
Healey3000
Experienced MS/Extra'er

Post by Healey3000 »

nathaninwa wrote:Maybe to simplify it a bit. Use an old school gm pickup high beam switch mounted up high on the firewall and use the alternate reqfuel setting to drop it to zero so no fuel is squirted at all and maybe use a 5 pin relay also that would cut the power to the pump amongst lots of other things, like the 12 power to the ms itself
That's a possibility, but I want something that does not rely on flipping a switch or two, since in theory, anyone could flip those switches. It has to require a unique element that only the owner would have.

I wonder if it's possible to take an OEM door lock remote and use that as an arm/disarm switch. You'd still need your normal key to put into the ignition but without arming first, the key would not start the car. I believe most of the older remotes use FSK/ASK transmission so it should not be too difficult.

But here's the key question (no pun intended) - can MS3 be set up to look at an I/O pin and based upon the state, allow the car to either start or not. Then, one could tack on a module of one's choice to provide the security.
gurov
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by gurov »

Healey3000 wrote:
nathaninwa wrote:Maybe to simplify it a bit. Use an old school gm pickup high beam switch mounted up high on the firewall and use the alternate reqfuel setting to drop it to zero so no fuel is squirted at all and maybe use a 5 pin relay also that would cut the power to the pump amongst lots of other things, like the 12 power to the ms itself
That's a possibility, but I want something that does not rely on flipping a switch or two, since in theory, anyone could flip those switches. It has to require a unique element that only the owner would have.

I wonder if it's possible to take an OEM door lock remote and use that as an arm/disarm switch. You'd still need your normal key to put into the ignition but without arming first, the key would not start the car. I believe most of the older remotes use FSK/ASK transmission so it should not be too difficult.

But here's the key question (no pun intended) - can MS3 be set up to look at an I/O pin and based upon the state, allow the car to either start or not. Then, one could tack on a module of one's choice to provide the security.
sure, table-switching could do that for you.

table1 = run, table2 - all zeroes
2020 BMW X3M - bm3 - stage1
1994 Supra - ms3pnp pro - j&s
nathaninwa
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by nathaninwa »

Like mentioned ve1/ve3 switch or if your table switching already do the reqfuel switch like I said, simple ground input.
Volvo 940, 2jzge, MS3Pro, daily
240Z, 2JZ, MS3Pro boost control
Healey3000
Experienced MS/Extra'er

Post by Healey3000 »

nathaninwa wrote:Like mentioned ve1/ve3 switch or if your table switching already do the reqfuel switch like I said, simple ground input.
Thanks, it does sound like a straightforward approach.
arran
Master MS/Extra'er

Post by arran »

This is what I did, it works:

http://www.msextra.com/forums/viewtopic ... 31&t=53836

I used the car alarm immobiliser function to drive an MS3 digital in low. I used table switching to VE3, all zeros, and required fuel to 0.
What would actually be better is a car "mobiliser" function, so that if the alarm is disabled or destroyed the car won't go. The alarm is needed to "enable" the engine to run.

Arran
RX7 Series 2 13B Turbo. Megasquirt 3 with 3X Expander and V3 CPU. Firmware 1.4.1
Knock module, twin EGT, real time clock, WBO2, full sequential fuel and spark
http://web.aanet.com.au/arran