1JZ GTE VVTI Install Help

General support questions and announcements for MS3. See also MS3 manuals.

Moderators: jsmcortina, muythaibxr

propav8r
MS/Extra Newbie

1JZ GTE VVTI Install Help

Post by propav8r »

Hi all-

Just got this VVTI 1J cranking and somewhat firing the other day. Really there's only one issue that I can't seem to track down, but first, the motor setup.

1JZ GTE, pretty much stock. Stock injectors. Running NA at the moment.
Crank input on MS3 harness, cam input on 3X harness. I am running sequential.
Dumped the Toyota ignition setup in favor of coil-near-plug using LS style coils

So, I can get it to crank and fire on all cylinders, but there is this wicked knock (sounds like rod knock or REALLY bad detonation), but my feeling is that it's a missed setting in the ignition. My first thought was that I had the dwell set incorrectly for the LS coils, but I verified my settings and all is well.

I can only get the motor to run for a short period of time (as you can see on the datalogs). Before, the motor was running on stock management and did not exhibit this knocking, so I'm reasonably sure it's ignition related.

I used koa's VVTI base tune here: http://www.msextra.com/forums/viewtopic ... &p=408204& and changed the settings for my ignition coils, but if y'alll could have a look over the tune and logs and see if there's something I missed, I'd appreciate it. Thanks!
slow_hemi6
Super MS/Extra'er

Re: 1JZ GTE VVTI Install Help

Post by slow_hemi6 »

It's definitly got sync loss issues. As for the knock have you confirmed the firing order and timing? Sync loss might cause miss fire or miss fire might cause the sync loss.
Find the Manuals up top under Quick links: Manuals. :RTFM:
Cheers Luke
propav8r
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by propav8r »

Quick update-the noise is definitely mechanical. We found a video of it running on the stock management (had to run on brakekleen...couldn't ever get it fuel, thus the MS install), and you can hear it loud and clear in that video. It's gnarly. All the bearings look fine though. Maybe top end, but sounds like bottom, even though it isn't.

I'll update again once we get the noise figured out. Still some polish work to do on the MS side of things.
propav8r
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by propav8r »

Just figured I'd update this thread in case anyone has similar issues.

Basically, here's a rundown of the last three months:

I've been working from a base tune I found here for the past while. Posted by Koa, I think. I've put a video just below of what was happening. The best I could ever get it to do is rev to 1800, break up a bit (losing sync), get it up to 2200 or so (running smoothly) rev it, and it would lose sync HARD at 3000.

I tried everything I could think of. Adding resistors to cam and crank sensors, playing with hysterisis, trying to get the thing to run in basic trigger mode, putting it in batch fire/wasted spark, on and on and on. I was ready to nuke the thing from orbit.

Here's the best I could get it to do before:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=84FSqgOCrLA

Ok, so this evening I took GrossPolluter's advice, threw the "base" tune in the garbage, and made my own.

Started with the MS3 example project, set it up with the correct req fuel, ignition, and vr settings as outlined by Nick ("VR inputs are ALWAYS set to rising edge on input capture on MS3X. The falling edge is the re-arm point in the wave form and never consistent with the correct edge for timing. Again, this may not immediately fix the issue but it needs to be made right before moving forward. "), turned on sequential, and cranked it up.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VnF5Ha6 ... e=youtu.be

That's with the timing and fuel tables as they come, directly out of the base project. Pretty happy, and wishing I had built my own tune a long time ago. Certainly learned my lesson on this one...it would've saved me months of aggravation.

Here's a link to my crappy base tune https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B82KG9 ... sp=sharing if anyone is interested.
3tc power
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by 3tc power »

did you put a 10k resistor on the crank sensor? a friend of mine had a similar issue and the resistor fixed it.