Anyone tried the ALM Wideband controller?

General support questions and announcements for MS3. See also MS3 manuals.

Moderators: jsmcortina, muythaibxr

Healey3000
Experienced MS/Extra'er

Anyone tried the ALM Wideband controller?

Post by Healey3000 »

Hi,

This product looks intriguing. It uses the latest Bosch LSU4.9 sensor and their CJ125 ASIC, making for a very compact board that could be mounted within the MS3 enclosure. Since it's a 4.9, it does not need calibration, per the Bosch literature.

Anybody here tried it? Would it be a hassle to interface with MS3 from a calibration standpoint? One has options for analog output as well as CAN. Would MS3 handle the CAN option? In single unit quantities it's $199, a little more than the LC-2 but seems worth it.

Here's the link: http://www.ecotrons.com/products/wideba ... alm-board/

Thanks.
Last edited by Healey3000 on Fri Nov 21, 2014 4:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
dontz125
Super MS/Extra'er

Re: Anyone tried the ALM Wideband controller?

Post by dontz125 »

I'm pretty sure their CAN and the MSCAN are not the same. With sufficient info, you could probably have a MS3 set up to talk to it.
Temporarily shut down - back soon!
QuadraMAP Sensor Module -- PWM-to-Stepper Controller -- Dual Coil Driver
Coming soon: OctoMAP Sensor Module
TTR Ignition Systems
Baxsie
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by Baxsie »

So what would it take to get the ALM talking to the MegaSquirt by CAN or serial?

Analog should be easy, since it has two analog outputs, but it would be fantastic to have a reliable digital interface.
MS3Pro in Air-Cooled VW 2085cc
KenAdkison
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by KenAdkison »

I'm replacing a old LC1 and moving to an Ecotrons ALM-ADV WBO2 to MegaSquirt MS3.
I have not been able to find a example of a CAN based WBO2 working on MegaSquirt. I don't seem to find any online documented examples of CAN based WBO2 to MegaSquirt

Please reply if this has been done as I would not like to reinvent the wheel. So far I don't see a road blocks it could be somewhat easy or very hard.
I also bought an Arduino, CAN-shield and a Bus-Pirate to help resolve anything that goes wrong and to work on a second gauge project.

Ken
MGB full sequential and closed loop
http://www.adkison.name/mgb
Last edited by KenAdkison on Fri Dec 25, 2015 8:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
MGB MS3/MSX full sequential and closed loop with cross flow head
Ken Adkison
Shelton Washington
dontz125
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by dontz125 »

KenAdkison wrote:I'm replacing a old LC1 and moving to an Ecotrons ALM-ADV WBO2 to MegaSquirt MS3.
I have not been able to find a example of a CAN based WBO2 working on MegaSquirt. I don't seem to find any online documented examples of CAN based WBO2 to MegaSquirt

Please reply if this has been done as I would not like to reinvent the wheel. So far I don't see a road blocks it could be somewhat easy or very hard.
I also bought an Arduino, CAN-shield and a Bus-Pirate to help resolve anything that goes wrong and to work on a second gauge project.
There are numerous examples of LC-1 and SLC WBO2 controllers communicating with jbperf's IO-Extender (and the Tiny-IOx) via serial (LC-1) or I2C (SLC); the IOx then transmits the data to the MS via CAN. This is an established way of doing things; while the MS2 requires a bit of a kludge to use the CAN EGO data, that kludge is now a standard part of the MS2 code. The MS3 incorporates the data far more seamlessly, and allows up to 16 WBO2 sensors (12 in the 1.5 series) without taking up any CAN-ADC slots.

This is the first example I've seen of a WBO2 controller that has an integral CAN ability. Actually integrating that ability into an MS project is beyond my competence ...
Temporarily shut down - back soon!
QuadraMAP Sensor Module -- PWM-to-Stepper Controller -- Dual Coil Driver
Coming soon: OctoMAP Sensor Module
TTR Ignition Systems
racingmini_mtl
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by racingmini_mtl »

Ken,

There are quite a few setups running CAN based WBO2 controllers that use my IOx or TinyIOx. But this is done using the MS CAN protocol which the ALM doesn't understand so this can't be done directly in the same manner. You'd have to use the CAN receiving feature, know what identifier and format the ALM uses and then calibrate the raw data.

Also, I had a look at your web site because I was intrigued by the crossflow head on your MGB. I saw your old video about the original 5-port setup where you mention that this is unusable. Actually, it is usable and it is actually done by some people on the Mini engine (A-series instead of B-series but still a 5-port engine) using either an MS2 or an MS3. The trick is to use the correct injection method and timing and have O2 sensor on at least 2 of the 3 exhaust branches (one of which is on the center branch). This way you can monitor the inner and outer cylinders and adjust injection timing and fueling to have an even AFR all around. There an old example here: http://jbperf.com/sequential/Fuel_Injec ... eries.html

It doesn't matter now that you have the 7-port head but that might be useful information nonetheless.

Jean
jbperf.com Main site . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . jbperf.com Forum
KenAdkison
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by KenAdkison »

Jean,

I am very impressed by this injection of the Mini. I got my 5-port BMC motor to run and drive (sort of) and then realized how difficult it would be able to tune it and gave up on the idea.
The project you site, took up a difficult challenge and found thoughtful solutions. I am impressed.

I bought the CAN based WBO2 thinking the MS CAN would be more generic.
Thank you for presenting your TinyIOx project. I was unaware of it and it gives me some clues as to how to get started with MS CAN interfacing.
I have a lot of catching up to do reading this and other documentation once I absorb it all, I'll post me next step once I figure it out.
At worst case, it seems that I may need to build a J1939 spec CAN to MS Spec CAN translator. That is at least unless you would want to build it? If you did I would buy it. . .

Ken
MGB MS3/MSX full sequential and closed loop with cross flow head
Ken Adkison
Shelton Washington