Need help, I'm having sync loss reason 72?

General support questions and announcements for MS3. See also MS3 manuals.

Moderators: jsmcortina, muythaibxr

V6_CIVIC_EK
MS/Extra Newbie

Need help, I'm having sync loss reason 72?

Post by V6_CIVIC_EK »

Hi everyone,
I'm from upstate New York and I've looked a the different forums for quite a bit to see if I can find some answers to my issue. Even though I've found some similarities to the same problem I'm having I still can't find enough info to figure out the problem.

I currently own an MS3 Pro it's hooked up to a 2005 Acura TL V6 engine 3.2 series J32A3. Engien is completely stock and it has 270cc size injectors as it comes from factory.
car turns on and for the most part it runs great. I just can't get to rev past 5,800RPMs. Also at start up I have to open TPS about 5% in order to keep RPM a little elevated and prevent the engine from shuting off all the way until it reaches about 180*F. While looking at data on Megalog Viewer, I noticed it would lose sync anything past 5000RPM. Also there is a lot if timing error variance and it reads sync error 72, which I can't seem to find any information on as to what error 72 indicates. I'm attaching the MSQ tuning file and the Megalog Viwer file both at start up and while running. I'd appreciate some guidance and some answers to see if I can finally have my baby up and running 100%. Thanks a million!
jsmcortina
Site Admin

Re: Need help, I'm having sync loss reason 72? (MS3-Pro)

Post by jsmcortina »

As well as the MSQ (tune) and MSL (log) please record and upload a "composite log" of the sync-loss happening from the Ignition Loggers - that will give us more to go on.

James
I can repair or upgrade Megasquirts in UK. http://www.jamesmurrayengineering.co.uk

My Success story: http://www.msextra.com/forums/viewtopic ... 04&t=34277
MSEXTRA documentation at: http://www.msextra.com/doc/index.html
New users, please read the "Forum Help Page".
V6_CIVIC_EK
MS/Extra Newbie

Re: Need help, I'm having sync loss reason 72?

Post by V6_CIVIC_EK »

Hey James, sorry I took so long to reply back. After my last post I had to move, me and my wife bought a house and so everything was a mess, I had to store my project car in my buddy's house in the mean time and was so busy with the new place that I didn't really have time to play again with the car. Anyway, here are two files from the composite loggers... one at cold start (where there's also a lot of sync loss while car reaches about 160*F) and the other one while driving and taking the RPM to where the sync loss occurs. Hope this gives you enough data to see what might be happening. Thanks.

- John
Matt Cramer
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by Matt Cramer »

I'm not seeing any loss of sync flags in those composite logs, sorry.
Matt Cramer -1966 Dodge Dart slant six running on MS3X
V6_CIVIC_EK
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by V6_CIVIC_EK »

Matt Cramer wrote:I'm not seeing any loss of sync flags in those composite logs, sorry.
I just posted what James asked me to post. I don't know what I'm looking at when I see these composite logs, I thought whatever the issue was with the car it would reflect there. But here are these files from Megalog Viewer and MSQ tune. I thought I had attached these on my first post but I don't see them there... I don't know what happened. Hope this helps, and if it doesn't, some suggestions as to what I should do or where else I can look for answers would be appreciated. Thanks.

- John.
slow_hemi6
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by slow_hemi6 »

Matt Cramer wrote:I'm not seeing any loss of sync flags in those composite logs, sorry.
last frame of first page of while driving there is a missing crank trigger. It shows 7 7 7 instead of 15 7.
Find the Manuals up top under Quick links: Manuals. :RTFM:
Cheers Luke
V6_CIVIC_EK
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by V6_CIVIC_EK »

[/quote]last frame of first page of while driving there is a missing crank trigger. It shows 7 7 7 instead of 15 7.[/quote]

Hey Luke, what does missing crank trigger indicate? faulty crank sensor, any timing issues?
slow_hemi6
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by slow_hemi6 »

If I was you I would use the Sync Error logger from the list of high speed loggers in tuner studio. This logger only saves when sync loss happens and displays the triggers that preceded sync loss. That would give a better idea if it is the same problem each time.
Cheers Luke
V6_CIVIC_EK
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by V6_CIVIC_EK »

slow_hemi6 wrote:If I was you I would use the Sync Error logger from the list of high speed loggers in tuner studio. This logger only saves when sync loss happens and displays the triggers that preceded sync loss. That would give a better idea if it is the same problem each time.
I will try that and post logs. Thanks Luke.
V6_CIVIC_EK
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by V6_CIVIC_EK »

Here's a Sync Error Log I took today while drving and bringing the RPM up to where sync error accurs.Thanks.
slow_hemi6
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by slow_hemi6 »

For some reason when it gets up to that rpm it is loosing the 8th trigger after the real missing trigger. I don't know enough about your engine to say whether it is a sensor gap issue, an issue with the wheel or something simple like the MS pot adjustment not being quite right or even the need for some resistance to be added to the input. Is it a VR or a hall?
Cheers Luke
V6_CIVIC_EK
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by V6_CIVIC_EK »

slow_hemi6 wrote:For some reason when it gets up to that rpm it is loosing the 8th trigger after the real missing trigger. I don't know enough about your engine to say whether it is a sensor gap issue, an issue with the wheel or something simple like the MS pot adjustment not being quite right or even the need for some resistance to be added to the input. Is it a VR or a hall?
Engine is Hall...
V6_CIVIC_EK
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by V6_CIVIC_EK »

V6_CIVIC_EK wrote:
slow_hemi6 wrote:For some reason when it gets up to that rpm it is loosing the 8th trigger after the real missing trigger. I don't know enough about your engine to say whether it is a sensor gap issue, an issue with the wheel or something simple like the MS pot adjustment not being quite right or even the need for some resistance to be added to the input. Is it a VR or a hall?
Engine is Hall...
Hey Luke, so I've done some reading and asked some questions and it seems like my engine is not Hall it is VR. I've also found out I have a 12-0 crank trigger and a 36 teeth cam. It seems I need to run full Sequential for my set up, but I believe what's causing my sync loss at higher RPM's is the belt stretches and and cam signal is not happening withing the same amount of teeth every time.

Now, on my ignition settings I have "Honda/Acura" as my Spark Mode. If I switched to "Toothed Wheel", I don't see the option for my wheel arrangement which is supposed to be "single wheel no missing tooth"

How about some pot adjustments?

Thanks...

- John