Making Ground Signal One Direction

General support questions and announcements for MS3. See also MS3 manuals.

Moderators: jsmcortina, muythaibxr

shaodome
Master MS/Extra'er

Making Ground Signal One Direction

Post by shaodome »

To activate my transbrake, it is done by grounding the 2-3 shift solenoid while in manual low. I have an electronically controlled GM 4l80e.

The button from the shifter for the brake is spliced into that same 2-3 shift solenoid signal, as is the launch control for the MS3. I THOUGHT I could use a diode to prevent the signal getting back up the line to the MS3 when the 2-3 shift solenoid is engaged during normal driving, but apparently that is not correct.

Any suggestions?
elaw
Super MS/Extra'er

Re: Making Ground Signal One Direction

Post by elaw »

What is the symptom of it not working?

If I understand your setup, it should work fine. I'm picturing a solenoid valve, one side of which is connected to +12, and the other side is connected both to the MS output, and to a switch that grounds it. I can't think of a reason that wouldn't work.
Eric Law
1990 Audi 80 quattro with AAN turbo engine: happily running on MS3+MS3X
2012 Audi A4 quattro, desperately in need of tweaking

Be alert! America needs more lerts.
shaodome
Master MS/Extra'er

Post by shaodome »

elaw wrote:What is the symptom of it not working?

If I understand your setup, it should work fine. I'm picturing a solenoid valve, one side of which is connected to +12, and the other side is connected both to the MS output, and to a switch that grounds it. I can't think of a reason that wouldn't work.
That's what I thought too!

I took a diode and my DMM and instead of testing for voltage, I tried some continuity test and I got nothing, so I'm assuming that's why it wasn't working.
DaveEFI
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by DaveEFI »

A continuity tester won't show a diode working. To check the diode you need to use the diode test function that most DVMs have. It will read about 0.6v which is the forward voltage drop of a conducting diode. The black lead is connected to the stripe (cathode) end.
Rover SD1 3.5 EFI
MS2 V3
EDIS
Tech Edge O2
London UK.