Boom, Out Go The Lights...

General support questions and announcements for MS3. See also MS3 manuals.

Moderators: jsmcortina, muythaibxr

dragbug
Experienced MS/Extra'er

Re: Boom, Out Go The Lights...

Post by dragbug »

Ashford or anyone else in the helpful mood, attached is my latest log and msq. I appreciate any help given. Thank you!
1966 Mustang Fastback
302 HO,Trick Flow TW 170 heads, Headers/dumps, MS3
ashford
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by ashford »

map bins on the ve table really need to be changed my home computer does't have the licenced version of ts so that makes it a bit harder to do. open your ve table in 2d and click on the box between x and y axis bins , it has aright angle arrow in it. start with 15 in the bottom add 5 till 80 then 90 then 100. so far it seems all of your issues are tuning ve issues and it is so much easier to do it in person that remotely. i don't think any ve value should be above 100 in your case. and yes 9afr is stupid rich. from that log there may be enough injector left to run the engine up now. knock down ve where it is above 100 and sort of follow what veal has changed beyond the bins it has tuned, the lower kpa area <30 where decel occurs will need manual tuning as afr updates stupid slow in that area.
dragbug
Experienced MS/Extra'er

Post by dragbug »

ashford wrote:map bins on the ve table really need to be changed my home computer does't have the licenced version of ts so that makes it a bit harder to do. open your ve table in 2d and click on the box between x and y axis bins , it has aright angle arrow in it. start with 15 in the bottom add 5 till 80 then 90 then 100. so far it seems all of your issues are tuning ve issues and it is so much easier to do it in person that remotely. i don't think any ve value should be above 100 in your case. and yes 9afr is stupid rich. from that log there may be enough injector left to run the engine up now. knock down ve where it is above 100 and sort of follow what veal has changed beyond the bins it has tuned, the lower kpa area <30 where decel occurs will need manual tuning as afr updates stupid slow in that area.
Thanks ashford! I initially didn't want to make changes to the bins until I was sure the other changes I made worked ok so I will make the change as suggested. I will also lower everything above 100 down to a more reasonable number.

About following what VEAL has changed...sometimes the changes don't make sense. When I use VE analyze it sometimes wants to change certain bins the opposite of what I would have thought when looking at the logs. That is one of the biggest reasons for my reluctance to make changes. I try to study the logs to figure out how to make changes on my own but I honestly don't really know what to look for. When someone says to smooth out the VE table, what exactly does a smooth VE table look like? I know to eliminate the high peaks and low valleys but when I looked at the VE table you smoothed out for me, I still saw a lot of peaks and valleys. I would really like to lean how to tune myself but I am a visual learner, reading it doesn't work for me lol.

I appreciate the help you and others have given. Your suggestions have made the biggest positive changes so far. I don't expect you to get me dialed in perfectly especially since I am not paying you for your time and advice. I just want to get it reliable and smooth and you have certainly helped in that.
1966 Mustang Fastback
dragbug
Experienced MS/Extra'er

Post by dragbug »

So I noticed my idle AFR is around 11.5. I tried lowering the fuel in those bins but there is little to no change happening. I think I remember seeing this issue for someone else but can't find it. Is this possibly an issue of to big of injectors now or something else?
1966 Mustang Fastback
ashford
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by ashford »

you need a reduction in dead time try .4 or .3
dragbug
Experienced MS/Extra'er

Post by dragbug »

Ok, when I do that, it's going to make the table really lean so how much do I increase the whole table by?
1966 Mustang Fastback
ashford
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by ashford »

dead time affects short pw afr more than greater pw. i would just adjust at idle and taper adjustment out to higher kpa.
dragbug
Experienced MS/Extra'er

Post by dragbug »

Cool. I will give it a shot. Thanks!
1966 Mustang Fastback
dragbug
Experienced MS/Extra'er

Post by dragbug »

I tried using .4 dead time. The car started surging really bad so I tried adding fuel to the idle bin area which didn't seem to help I scaled the whole table by 1.5. This helped get the car to idle but anything above idle caused a bad surge. The idle still is hovering about 11.5 AFR and no amount of fuel adjustment made any different to the AFR at idle. It would sometimes shoot into the 13's for a sec then fall back to the high 11's. I didn't try .3 but something tells me that won't make any difference. I can try it though if you think it could but I am getting the same AFR when I have it at .65 as I do at .4.
1966 Mustang Fastback
billr
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by billr »

Is this still the SBC TBI unit, and you have raised fuel pressure from the normal 9-15 psi up to 40+ psi? You really need to test for dead-time, it may not even be consistent with the FP that much higher.
dragbug
Experienced MS/Extra'er

Post by dragbug »

billr wrote:Is this still the SBC TBI unit, and you have raised fuel pressure from the normal 9-15 psi up to 40+ psi? You really need to test for dead-time, it may not even be consistent with the FP that much higher.
That would be correct. From my research across the web, raising the fuel pressure is a very popular practice for the TBI injectors. I have not seen any ill effects from others doing it. I would think that if others have had no idle issues, I shouldn't either but...I do have bad luck lol.

I know that raising the pressure can and will affect dead time which is why I initially lowered it from 1.0 to .65 which has improved just about everything ....except the rich idle. I do know that the fuel pressure (according to the calculator) now puts the injectors in the 400 hp territory and my car probably doesn't have more than 250-300 at the flywheel. Hence why I initially thought maybe I have to much injection for idle. But Ashford suggested dead time. Like I said, maybe it needs lowered even more? Or maybe I should drop the fuel pressure down to around 30-35 psi?
1966 Mustang Fastback
slow_hemi6
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by slow_hemi6 »

I know its not related well because you have delphi injectors, but I ran my tbi which had bosch injectors at 36psi and it worked really good.
Find the Manuals up top under Quick links: Manuals. :RTFM:
Cheers Luke
dragbug
Experienced MS/Extra'er

Post by dragbug »

What dead time were you using? I know it would be different from these but just curious.
1966 Mustang Fastback
slow_hemi6
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by slow_hemi6 »

Yes very different no doubt. Those were about .9mS if I remember correctly. That was a v2.2 main board with separate flyback board and pwm settings to suit.
Find the Manuals up top under Quick links: Manuals. :RTFM:
Cheers Luke
billr
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by billr »

Was this a new, from a reliable vendor, TBI unit? If used, have you considered that one of the injectors is simply bad?
dragbug
Experienced MS/Extra'er

Post by dragbug »

billr wrote:Was this a new, from a reliable vendor, TBI unit? If used, have you considered that one of the injectors is simply bad?
Yes, used. And yes, I have considered that. I don't know enough about injectors to know what a bad one would act like but I would think I would have far more issues then a simple idle issue if an injector was bad. But like I said, I don't know.
1966 Mustang Fastback
billr
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by billr »

Flowing those injectors would answer a lot of these "what ifs". I know it seems like more of a chore than you want to do, but again urge you to do so. I really feel it will save you a lot of time and frustration.
dragbug
Experienced MS/Extra'er

Post by dragbug »

Point taken lol
1966 Mustang Fastback
dragbug
Experienced MS/Extra'er

Post by dragbug »

Just an update. I lowered the fuel pressure from 43psi to 30 psi and that seems to have helped. I have control over my idle again. I updated the req fuel and generated a new VE which ended up being way to lean across the board. Ran auto tune for a bit and then manually adjusted my fuel table. As always, lots of adjusting to to do but so far things are working well. Thanks as always to those that offered help. I am sure I will have note questions lol.
1966 Mustang Fastback
dragbug
Experienced MS/Extra'er

Boom, Out Go The Lights...

Post by dragbug »

Over the last couple weeks I have been having an issue where the car acts like it just shut off. It is a split second. I managed to capture it in a log and have attached it. The sync loss happens only once during this log and it doesn't happen every time I drive the car but it has happened a total 3-4 times. I have yet to see any consistencies from one time to another. The first time it happened I was on the interstate doing about 70-80 and fully warmed up. The last 2-3 times the car wasn't warmed up yet and I was doing about 35 MPH. I don 't see anything that screams of the cause but maybe someone with better knowledge will see it. FYI, ignore the AFR reading, it seems my TunerStudio is corrupted once again when it comes to the AFR in the logs. It only affects the log files, not actual readings. I attached my current tune as well just in case. Hopefully someone can figure it out.
1966 Mustang Fastback