MS3 and MSD digital 7

General support questions and announcements for MS3. See also MS3 manuals.

Moderators: jsmcortina, muythaibxr

vinnysnova
Helpful MS/Extra'er

MS3 and MSD digital 7

Post by vinnysnova »

I am doing a 427ci ford w/twin 76's. It has a crank trigger and a msd digital 7 on it now for ignition, was just wondering what my best option is for ignition control. Should I keep the msd or go another route? Any suggestions would be a big help, I'm used to the LS COP setup's and not sure what the best option is for this one.
jsmcortina
Site Admin

Re: MS3 and MSD digital 7

Post by jsmcortina »

See what others think, but you might consider parting out the MSD7 and letting Megasquirt fully control your ignition. If going that route I'd fit a standard (e.g. 36-1) trigger wheel and a cam sensor and go full sequential and coil on plug. Either with LS coils on IGN1A.

James
I can repair or upgrade Megasquirts in UK. http://www.jamesmurrayengineering.co.uk

My Success story: http://www.msextra.com/forums/viewtopic ... 04&t=34277
MSEXTRA documentation at: http://www.msextra.com/doc/index.html
New users, please read the "Forum Help Page".
phoenix3d
Experienced MS/Extra'er

Post by phoenix3d »

Yeah I agree with James here...

MSD works.. Okay.. But you'll be adding more complications into the mix when something goes upside down...

There's a reason we call them "My Spark Died.." :?

LS1 coils or IGN1A :D .. For Sure!!...
vinnysnova
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by vinnysnova »

How would you do the cam sensor?
billr
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by billr »

What does your existing dizzy trigger wheel look like (pictures!)? There may be several ways to get a cam signal from there, or you can get a cheap OEM dizzy and cut it down for fitting a sensor, or you can add a "flying magnet" to a cam sprocket/pulley for a Hall sensor to detect. Do you have rocker arms for the valves? I think a sensor could be used to detect one rocker. Did this engine originally have a cam-operated mechanical pump? I'm sure there is a way to detect that action. Are you running wasted-spark? There is a way to get a "cam signal" from the coil driver with no actual CMP sensor. (GM S-series Saturns do this).
vinnysnova
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by vinnysnova »

I will waterjet a 36-1 wheel to fit the balancer. I am also going to mod a old distributor to plug the hole and drive the oil pump, thought maybe I could use that for the cam signal. I just want one tooth on the cam wheel rite? At TDC? Sorry for the stupid ?'s, I am used to the easy LSX stuff ;)

P.S.
My personal car is a twin 66mm stock 5.3, MS3X that made 716whp popfarting because I had it way rich trying to be safe. I tuned it in and with a tight stall (no psi at launch) it went 10.90@140mph in street trim getting 19mpg on the hwy. in a 3200lb 1962 nova.
billr
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by billr »

If you are going to cut down a dizzy, just using it for oil-pump drive, then that mod can also provide for a neat and easy cam sensor. There are several threads here on doing that, with different makes of engines. I don't think you want the single cam tooth at TDC, but am almost certain that you do not want it to be at the same time as the missing tooth on the crank wheel. Since you are doing this "from scratch", I suggest making the cam wheel a "half-moon". It doesn't have to be exactly 50:50, but more than a narrow single-tooth will probably be easier to work with.
vinnysnova
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by vinnysnova »

Thanks a lot, I will look at the other posts on moding the dis.
vinnysnova
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by vinnysnova »

$_21.jpg
Would something like this work? I'm thinking put the top off this onto the old dis from the 427.......