Engine check light/limp home

General support questions and announcements for MS3. See also MS3 manuals.

Moderators: jsmcortina, muythaibxr

Trump
Experienced MS/Extra'er

Engine check light/limp home

Post by Trump »

I have fitted an Engine Check Light and am still trying to set it up. One of my issues is the TPS. I still get an error code. I have not activated the limp home option.

While out data logging I felt that there was an issue with the accel settings. I have it set on Accel pump mode and 100% from the TPS.

On reviewing the logs it showed that I was not getting any accel effect. I disabled the engine check light, run another log, and the accel settings worked.

My reading of the manual, led me to believe that the ECL was just that, a check light and that it did not take any action other than the warning light. The limp Home option is to be used to take action on any warning.

Have I got it wrong (again) or is there an issue?

Sorry there is not msq attached, My logs and msq are on another lap top. The msq is on my previous thread on TPS/accel issues.
Triumph TR3A. MS3X, IBT, Fully Sequential Injection, Wasted spark, 60-2 crank wheel.
Trump
Experienced MS/Extra'er

Re: Engine check light/limp home

Post by Trump »

I have attached the current msq.
Triumph TR3A. MS3X, IBT, Fully Sequential Injection, Wasted spark, 60-2 crank wheel.
grom_e30
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by grom_e30 »

http://www.msextra.com/doc/ms3/cel.html if you roll down to the limp mode/limited operations strategy section 'TPS-accel is disabled in fault conditions' i think that's always the case.
1990 bmw 320i daily driver with m20b25 ms3 sequential fuel, 380cc injectors, d585 coil near plug, home made cam sync, launch control, fan control, vss, homebrew egt logging what's next????
Trump
Experienced MS/Extra'er

Post by Trump »

That is what appears to happen but not how I read it.
If that is how it happens then why have a limp mode????
grom_e30
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by grom_e30 »

TPS failure: Disables TPS based acceleration enrichment and assumes a zero TPS value.
page 123
1990 bmw 320i daily driver with m20b25 ms3 sequential fuel, 380cc injectors, d585 coil near plug, home made cam sync, launch control, fan control, vss, homebrew egt logging what's next????
Matt Cramer
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by Matt Cramer »

Trump wrote:That is what appears to happen but not how I read it.
If that is how it happens then why have a limp mode????
The idea is that if you get enough noise coming in on the TPS, it should be prevented from dumping too much fuel.

It looks as if you attached a data log and not the tune, but try raising the maximum fluxuation value.
Matt Cramer -1966 Dodge Dart slant six running on MS3X
Trump
Experienced MS/Extra'er

Post by Trump »

I understand why it would be desirable to cut accel if TPS failed but 4.36.2 Limp Mode on page 123 outlines how to set up the Limp Mode so that it would disable the accel if the TPS failed.

In my case the Limp Mode is disabled. I read that as there would be no limp mode on TPS, or any other sensor, should a failure, occur.

Does this mean that you can not use the check light if yo do not want the limp mode to activate. If that is the case, then why the option to disable it??

Attached is the MSQ.
jsmcortina
Site Admin

Post by jsmcortina »

The Sensor Checking has determine that the TPS is broken, so it stops using it. The engine doesn't go into limp mode.

As Matt says, it looks like you have the "fluctuations" setting too sensitive. When you blip the throttle at 539s in the log it triggers a fault.

James
I can repair or upgrade Megasquirts in UK. http://www.jamesmurrayengineering.co.uk

My Success story: http://www.msextra.com/forums/viewtopic ... 04&t=34277
MSEXTRA documentation at: http://www.msextra.com/doc/index.html
New users, please read the "Forum Help Page".
Trump
Experienced MS/Extra'er

Post by Trump »

OK. Now I get it..........a bit slow but I do get there in the end.

Any sensor activated in the Check Light that is detected with a fault will activate the action shown in the manual 4.36.2 The engine will not go into limp mode unless that option in Limp Mode is also activated.

My mistake was to assume that the action taken with a faulty sensor was part of the Limp Mode set up, not part of the Check Light set up. Limp mode is only the control of RPM, Boost ,etc after a failed sensor.

Correct??