No steady rpm signal + no ign output with ms3x

General support questions and announcements for MS3. See also MS3 manuals.

Moderators: jsmcortina, muythaibxr

dochka
Master MS/Extra'er

No steady rpm signal + no ign output with ms3x

Post by dochka »

Hi,
I'm trying to start a Pontiac L67 buick engine V6 3800cc using ms3+ms3x and 6 D585 truck coils ( logic) like the ls1 coils;
The problem is that i can't get a steady rpm reading whatever i do with the resistor pots, and there's no spark output at all from the ms3x... RPM reading range from 244 to 150 to 33 @ cranking..If i try the spark output test, they work;
And lastly i couldn't get the pots to read rpm at all whatever i tried turning them at all...
I'm using a 60-2 crank wheel with a vr sensor(tried several ones) and the original GM cam sensor... Battery voltage is very good @12.9 V at all times because I'm using a backup charger...
billr
Super MS/Extra'er

Re: No steady rpm signal + no ign output with ms3x

Post by billr »

:msq:

Maybe tooth log and pix of the crank wheel/sensor arrangement, also?
ae86drftr
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by ae86drftr »

Dochka do you have a JimstimX? If not I highly recommend it however, If you want some more help you could post an MSQ and we could go from there.

Wubba Lubba Dub Dub!!! oh. yea...

1985 Toyota Corolla 20V 4AGE MS3X Seq. Fuel/Spark...

1990 Eagle Talon TSi AWD 4G63 MS3X Seq. Fuel, Batch Spark...
dochka
Master MS/Extra'er

Post by dochka »

ae86drftr wrote:Dochka do you have a JimstimX? If not I highly recommend it however, If you want some more help you could post an MSQ and we could go from there.

Nice Nickname AE86 drifter, i own an ae86 myself :)
i'LL DO NEXT TIME, YEP I OWN A JIMSTIM
dochka
Master MS/Extra'er

Post by dochka »

ae86drftr wrote:Dochka do you have a JimstimX? If not I highly recommend it however, If you want some more help you could post an MSQ and we could go from there.

I plugged the jimstim to the ecu and adjusted the resistor pots using the spare knob turn till i've got the ready box light up green when i turn the spare knob, and if i turn it from end to end i get cranking turn green also with full sync...
I unplugged the stim and put the ecu into the car's wiring, then got no connection from laptop to the ecu;
I put the ecu back to the stim and got no connection either, when i turn the stim on, the red led lightens up brightly then dies after 10 seconds...
I removed the ms3 card from the ecu then powered it up again, this time the led stayed bright..
What happened to the ms3 card ???

I rechecked everything, the ribbon cable, the socket voltages... Everything looks right :evil: :oops:
dochka
Master MS/Extra'er

Post by dochka »

billr wrote::msq:

Maybe tooth log and pix of the crank wheel/sensor arrangement, also?
Any help with my issue ?
jsmcortina
Site Admin

Post by jsmcortina »

dochka wrote:Any help with my issue ?
Other posters have been asking you to attached an MSQ and datalog.

James
I can repair or upgrade Megasquirts in UK. http://www.jamesmurrayengineering.co.uk

My Success story: http://www.msextra.com/forums/viewtopic ... 04&t=34277
MSEXTRA documentation at: http://www.msextra.com/doc/index.html
New users, please read the "Forum Help Page".
dochka
Master MS/Extra'er

Post by dochka »

jsmcortina wrote:
dochka wrote:Any help with my issue ?
Other posters have been asking you to attached an MSQ and datalog.

James
I can't connect to the ms3, i think the ms3 card is fried for some reason i don't know :evil:
Is there a way to test it or repair it ?
jsmcortina
Site Admin

Post by jsmcortina »

Try reloading firmware?

James
I can repair or upgrade Megasquirts in UK. http://www.jamesmurrayengineering.co.uk

My Success story: http://www.msextra.com/forums/viewtopic ... 04&t=34277
MSEXTRA documentation at: http://www.msextra.com/doc/index.html
New users, please read the "Forum Help Page".
arran
Master MS/Extra'er

Post by arran »

Or testing the serial comms per the build instructions:
http://www.megamanual.com/ms2/V3assemble.htm
RX7 Series 2 13B Turbo. Megasquirt 3 with 3X Expander and V3 CPU. Firmware 1.4.1
Knock module, twin EGT, real time clock, WBO2, full sequential fuel and spark
http://web.aanet.com.au/arran
dochka
Master MS/Extra'er

Post by dochka »

jsmcortina wrote:Try reloading firmware?

James
There's no connection between the ms3 and the laptop whatever i do...
I've got another Megasquirt just to compare, I connected the new megasquirt 3 to the JimStim and powered it, instant connection, I put the wheel pattern to n3 (36-1) and put 2 jumpers in the jimstim to get rpm as per the manual, and i've got rpm and i turned the rpmC and rpm fine, everything worked and the led's in the jimstim blink...
Then I uninstalled the ms3 card and put it in place of the burnt one, instant connection too, but I get no rpm whatever i do with r52 and 56...
I suspect these to be the culprit, and the difference between the 2 megasquirts is that one has MC34072AP and the other (the working one) has the LM2904N for U7
Also, the working ecu has a Blue R52, the non working ecu has both the r52 and 56 silver
billr
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by billr »

"put it in place of the burnt one"

The burnt one, when did that sneak into this thread??? Tell us more about what you have going here... What's "burnt" the MS3, MS3X, or mainboard? What version of mainboard? What did this "burning" consist of, what components? Has it been repaired? What caused the burning?

Edit: Okay, found this:
"i think the ms3 card is fried for some reason"

Is there any symptom other than not connecting to TS?
Last edited by billr on Tue Dec 30, 2014 7:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
dochka
Master MS/Extra'er

Post by dochka »

billr wrote:"put it in place of the burnt one"

The burnt one, when did that sneak into this thread??? Tell us more about what you have going here... What's "burnt" the MS3, MS3X, or mainboard? What version of mainboard? What did this "burning" consist of, what components? Has it been repaired? What caused the burning?
The ms3 card is fried
dochka
Master MS/Extra'er

Post by dochka »

billr wrote:"put it in place of the burnt one"

Edit: Okay, found this:
"i think the ms3 card is fried for some reason"

Is there any symptom other than not connecting to TS?
Yes, when i power the jimstim attached to the ecu, the power light in the stim dies after 10 seconds and you can barely see it turned on
billr
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by billr »

Okay, it sounds like you have more than one set of MS3, MS3X, and mainboard, and that at least one combination works OK. So, as you swap things around, do you have two good mainboards and only one good MS3, or is it the other way around, two MS3s that work with only one mainboard? Let's ignore the MS3X for now, until you can connect to TS, and I suggest you disconnect that from the MS3. If it is a bad mainboard, have you checked voltages on the 40-pin socket, per the manual?

Edit: I re-read the thread, it sounds like you have one MS3 that won't connect, and one that connects but you don't get an rpm reading; two kind of different problems. I get kind of confused talking about both at the same time, can we focus on one or the other? For the "no connect" one I suggest making the 40-pin socket voltage readings, but with the MS3 plugged in; let's see if the 'bad" MS3 is pulling down either the 12 or 5V supplies. For the "no rpm" one, have you posted tooth, comp, and run logs, as well as .msq? (I'll go back and look for those earlier in thread).

Edit2: No, it seems you have been reluctant to post the info requested. Why???
dochka
Master MS/Extra'er

Post by dochka »

billr wrote:Okay, it sounds like you have more than one set of MS3, MS3X, and mainboard, and that at least one combination works OK. So, as you swap things around, do you have two good mainboards and only one good MS3, or is it the other way around, two MS3s that work with only one mainboard? Let's ignore the MS3X for now, until you can connect to TS, and I suggest you disconnect that from the MS3. If it is a bad mainboard, have you checked voltages on the 40-pin socket, per the manual?

Edit: I re-read the thread, it sounds like you have one MS3 that won't connect, and one that connects but you don't get an rpm reading; two kind of different problems. I get kind of confused talking about both at the same time, can we focus on one or the other? For the "no connect" one I suggest making the 40-pin socket voltage readings, but with the MS3 plugged in; let's see if the 'bad" MS3 is pulling down either the 12 or 5V supplies. For the "no rpm" one, have you posted tooth, comp, and run logs, as well as .msq? (I'll go back and look for those earlier in thread).
How to check the voltages with the ms3 card plugged in ?

Edit2: No, it seems you have been reluctant to post the info requested. Why???
I have the main boards working okay and one ms3 card , the other is the problem;
I've checked all the voltages in the main board with no ms3 card attached and everything is in spec;
For the data logs, i don't have any..
How to check the voltages with the ms3 card plugged in ?
I posted the msq file,
What info is else needed ?
billr
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by billr »

Were run, tooth, and comp logs posted before; did I miss those? Check for voltages at the 40-pin socket, with (the bad) MS3 plugged in by probing against the side of those little sockets, you will need a fine-tip meter probe.
dochka
Master MS/Extra'er

Post by dochka »

billr wrote:Were run, tooth, and comp logs posted before; did I miss those? Check for voltages at the 40-pin socket, with (the bad) MS3 plugged in by probing against the side of those little sockets, you will need a fine-tip meter probe.
Today, I managed to start the engine by using another Megasquirt V3 board and it's MS3 daughterboard, and by using the MS3X card along..
The engine started after I set the Req Fuel to 40ms which i believe is very high considering the engine is mated with 600cc injectors and using an aftermarket fuel pump, and the VE table values are too high also... I get the "CamFault" error, but the engine started on both "sequential" and "semi sequential" modes.
How to set the crank and cam phasing relative to each other? What i have done is added a 60-2 wheel to the crank pulley and put the crank sensor approx 8 teeth before the missing tooth, but the cam sensor system is left untouched..
It ran about some 25 min, then i turned it off, but when i tried to restart the engine, it didn't fire up... No ignition and fuel output this time;
I rechecked everything, even tried the output test mode that works, and i get steady cranking rpm, but i have no outputs at all...
Last edited by dochka on Thu Jan 15, 2015 9:34 am, edited 2 times in total.
dochka
Master MS/Extra'er

Post by dochka »

billr wrote:Were run, tooth, and comp logs posted before; did I miss those? Check for voltages at the 40-pin socket, with (the bad) MS3 plugged in by probing against the side of those little sockets, you will need a fine-tip meter probe.
Here's the .msq file attached
dochka
Master MS/Extra'er

Post by dochka »

There's no output for injectors or coils while cranking...
But output test mode works fine..
I checked the voltage at the injector clip and it reads approx. 9v when on the ignition ON and ecu powered on, which should be 0v i believe ..
If i unplug the MS3X and turn the ignition switch to ON again, the multimeters measure 0v
Could it be a short in the ms3x board?