no VR crank signal / sequential / R32 VW

General support questions and announcements for MS3. See also MS3 manuals.

Moderators: jsmcortina, muythaibxr

mattgreeneva
MS/Extra Newbie

Re: no VR crank signal / sequential / R32 VW

Post by mattgreeneva »

DTA is another standalone company. They advertise their stuff for race purposes mainly.

Most of my standalone friends use DTA.. but they are also big into the racing community. I am just trying to run a motor and MS offers more options for down the road
DaveEFI
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by DaveEFI »

mattgreeneva wrote:Yeah I did read that they were clutched and I have studied up on them.

Just to be fun I pulled the sensor out and ran it over the writing in my ratchet and got some RPM out of it. It took a few times and it wasn't consistent... So I ordered a new sensor. I don't know why it "semi" worked out of the car but I am guessing maybe its worn down a little or I don't know. So once I get a new sensor in I will try it out. It was a clear sign to me that the MS was trying to read a signal and the crank sensor wasn't relaying it well enough.

Any thoughts on that or is it normal? The sensor worked on DTA.. I actually bought this motor as a swap in a running car on DTA but the wiring was sloppy and not much cable to work with and it was frayed and it didn't run very good blah blah blah

I figured maybe the running problems it had before were bad crank signal.
If you disconnect MS and connect your DVM set to AC across the VR sensor, and crank the engine, you should see something like a couple of volts. A VR sensor is basically just a coil round a core - not much to go wrong.

If you were in the UK, I'd test your MS for free. :D
Rover SD1 3.5 EFI
MS2 V3
EDIS
Tech Edge O2
London UK.
mattgreeneva
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by mattgreeneva »

Well I put the new sensor in today. Same result... No reading..

Any other ideas?

New questions... When I look at diagrams it looks like the twisted pair go to 1 wire on the crank sensor and the other wire goes to slot 1 on the board.. what is slot 1? I have two wires in the twisted pair and 2 wires coming from the crank. I am just running them together one way or the other. I dont know what the pin1 black wire is.. (both shields grounded to the block)
Picture for reference

billr
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by billr »

Pins 1 and 2 on that mainboard DB37 connector are grounds.
DaveEFI
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by DaveEFI »

You say both shields connected to the block? And they are also connected at the DB37 connector? If so, you may have committed the classic error of mixing power and sensor grounds.

Unplug MS and the VR sensor. With your DVM, check at the VR connector on your loom. Measure each pin in turn to the engine block. They should both show no circuit.
Rover SD1 3.5 EFI
MS2 V3
EDIS
Tech Edge O2
London UK.
mattgreeneva
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by mattgreeneva »

DaveEFI wrote:You say both shields connected to the block? And they are also connected at the DB37 connector? If so, you may have committed the classic error of mixing power and sensor grounds.

Unplug MS and the VR sensor. With your DVM, check at the VR connector on your loom. Measure each pin in turn to the engine block. They should both show no circuit.
The shields are not connected to anything but the block.

Paul said he is going to come by next week and take a look at it.