Uh oh.. Not powering up...

General support questions and announcements for MS3. See also MS3 manuals.

Moderators: jsmcortina, muythaibxr

Unheavenlyangel
MS/Extra Newbie

Uh oh.. Not powering up...

Post by Unheavenlyangel »

I recently bought the MS3 knock module and installed it into my MS3 v3.0 w/MS3X. It's in a truck with a twin turbo, full sequential v8 and it has been running fine with a "safe" tune for about 8 months while I fixed other stuff. I installed the knock module and updated to the latest firmware. After that it was running for about 5 mins it sputtered and cut off. I got no smoke and it wouldn't turn back on. No communication with my laptop. Power in and grounds ok. I took it out and took the cover off and hooked it to my megastim with a wall adaptor. I tested the pins at the 40 pin connector with the mainboard only and all of that is good. When I hook it up with my daughterboard on, it powers up for 3 seconds and dies. Then won't even do that til you leave it off for 5 mins. I looked at my solder joints for the knock module and nothing is shorting anywhere. Any ideas what to check? If I killed my daughterboard somehow I'll buy a new one but how can I make sure? Maybe steer me in the right direction. It's possible that a friend was playing with my laptop in TS. I didn't see anything obvious. Seems that wouldn't explain the non-powering issue though. Thanks for any help.
DaveEFI
Super MS/Extra'er

Re: Uh oh.. Not powering up...

Post by DaveEFI »

I'd first check the 5v supply is present all the time MS is switched on. The TPS has a 5 volt feed, so that is probably the easiest place to check with the MS installed.
Rover SD1 3.5 EFI
MS2 V3
EDIS
Tech Edge O2
London UK.
Unheavenlyangel
MS/Extra Newbie

It has 5v without the daughterboard in. When the daughterboard is in, nothing has power. Everything dies after a few seconds.
billr
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by billr »

If voltages are OK at the 40-pin socket with daughter-board (DB) out, and not OK with the DB in, then almost certainly the DB has a problem on it. Is that knock-sensor thingy added to the DB? If so, have you tried removing it? Maybe post some pictures of the DB, we may see something that doesn't look good.
Unheavenlyangel
MS/Extra Newbie

The knock module is the one DIYautotune sells. It solders onto the daughterboard on the back of where the 40 pins come through. I figured something was shorted do I desoldered it and tried again. Same outcome. I'm just gonna try a daughterboard. Maybe I got flux in or around the main integrated circuit causing a short.
billr
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by billr »

Flux shouldn't cause that kind of shorting. Why not post some pix before ordering another DB?
DaveEFI
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by DaveEFI »

Unheavenlyangel wrote:The knock module is the one DIYautotune sells. It solders onto the daughterboard on the back of where the 40 pins come through. I figured something was shorted do I desoldered it and tried again. Same outcome. I'm just gonna try a daughterboard. Maybe I got flux in or around the main integrated circuit causing a short.
Never known flux to cause a short. Reason to clean it off is it may contain or conceal solder 'spatter' Assuming you are using a good quality multicore solder.
Rover SD1 3.5 EFI
MS2 V3
EDIS
Tech Edge O2
London UK.