no RPM signal

General support questions and announcements for MS3. See also MS3 manuals.

Moderators: jsmcortina, muythaibxr

pkm123
Helpful MS/Extra'er

no RPM signal

Post by pkm123 »

Please help. I have a MS3X. I'm using a Ford 36-1 wheel as a crank trigger, and a vr sensor on a single tooth cam wheel for a cam signal. I wired the crank vr to the shielded black-white pair on the wiring harness and the cam to cam input. When I crank the engine, the tooth logger shows no activity. I checked the jumpers and the pots and they are set as in the docs. I have a MSD distributr and CDI for ignition, but I don't use the vr sensor on the MSD. While trouble shooting, I attached the MSD vr sensor to the shielded pair, changed the setting to reflect this change, and still got nothing on the tooth logger. Is there something wrong with my settings, or do I have a bad board? Thanks in advance. Project file is attached
billr
Super MS/Extra'er

Re: no RPM signal

Post by billr »

Is the mainboard a V3.0 that you built, or a factory-built V3.57? I assume you don't have a stim to try this with, right?
pkm123
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by pkm123 »

The board is a factory built board. I tested it with the megasquirt stimulator , not the jimstim. I could not test it in 36-1 mode.
billr
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by billr »

With a pre-built board it is unlikely you have a bad one. Post a run log, and whatever you get for a tooth log, even if the screen is looking blank. I'm surprised the stim won't give a "36-1" signal, that is such a common and reliable mode. Can you post a sketch of your wiring for the crank sensor, and pictures of what the wheel and sensor actually look like and are mounted in relationship to each other? I don't mean to put you through a lot of hoops, but do want to convince you this can be solved with a systematic trouble-shooting approach. We often see threads here where folks get frustrated; trying to avoid that!
pkm123
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by pkm123 »

Solved. VR sensor wired backwards. Log file attached.
Thanks for your effort