Marlin Crawler VSS Vehicle Speed Sensor - 12vdc to 5vRef

General support questions and announcements for MS3. See also MS3 manuals.

Moderators: jsmcortina, muythaibxr

TerrenceLP
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Marlin Crawler VSS Vehicle Speed Sensor - 12vdc to 5vRef

Post by TerrenceLP »

Hello,

I'm looking for advice on setting up and wiring my VSS from MC to my MS3 v3.57 w/ MS3X.

MC VSS - https://www.marlincrawler.com/transfer- ... sensor-mci
Wiring info - "To troubleshoot the operation of the sensor, connect a 12 VDC power source across pins 1 (+VDC) and 2 (GND), and connect a multimeter across pin 3 (SIG) and the power source ground (or pin 2). With your multimeter set to read voltage, you will see two distinct voltage readings as you slowly rotate the shaft of our VSS: 0.8~1.2 VDC and 12 VDC. The 0.8~1.2 V reading is the nominal voltage (outputs at least this much voltage at all times), and the 12 V reading is the pulsed output signal (which occurs exactly 4 times during one full shaft rotation).The pulsating output signal (pin 3) will be the same as the input voltage at pin 1 slightly stepped down from internal resistance. If a lower voltage signal is needed, then use a relay, controlled by your vehicle's ignition ON power source, to activate a different power circuit whose voltage has been reduced through a resistor."

MS Manual - "The speed sensors system expects to receive a 0-5V pulsed signal internally at the processor.
The switch inputs 'Datalog in', 'Tableswitch in', 'Launch in' can be used for low frequency signals from a hall/gear-tooth sensor e.g. picking up from the rear or wheel studs."

So my question is this;
1. What pins should I use on the MS or MS3x?
2. What method to pull down the voltage is recommended? (Or am I reading correctly, I can wire it to a 5v source? or it needs 12v and the Signal needs to be stepped down to a pulsing 5v Ref)
3. What should I do in Tunerstudio to set up the connected sensor?

Slowed down by Wiring!

Thanks again!
Terrence P
Matt Cramer
Super MS/Extra'er

Re: Marlin Crawler VSS Vehicle Speed Sensor - 12vdc to 5vRef

Post by Matt Cramer »

This is a Hall effect sensor. It can be wired to Data Log, Table Switch, or Launch directly. They have adequate protection against 12 volts.
Matt Cramer -1966 Dodge Dart slant six running on MS3X
TerrenceLP
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Re: Marlin Crawler VSS Vehicle Speed Sensor - 12vdc to 5vRef

Post by TerrenceLP »

Rock on! Thanks!

I'll go with Datalog PIN 30 on MS3X

Glad it's easy! :lol: