12v power OK but ECU lifeless

General support questions and announcements for MS3. See also MS3 manuals.

Moderators: jsmcortina, muythaibxr

DaveEFI
Super MS/Extra'er

Re: 12v power OK but ECU lifeless

Post by DaveEFI »

Since you have already proved both the cam and crank signal inputs to your MS by using your JimStim, I'd say it must come down to a sensor itself, or its wiring. Or perhaps a pot setting on the VR input - if one were 'on the edge' the slightest change in the VR output might just stop it working.That's assuming your software is correctly set for your configuration - I'll leave that bit for others.
Rover SD1 3.5 EFI
MS2 V3
EDIS
Tech Edge O2
London UK.
billjam
Experienced MS/Extra'er

Post by billjam »

Towed the car home yesterday so it is a bit easier to work on now.
Checked flywheel sensor gap and it is 1mm as it should be.
I tried to start engine but it just mis-fired and popped and banged a bit, so there is spark, but its just not happening when it should be.
I haven't done anything to the car since I tried to run some logs about a week ago. At that time, the logs were blank.
Seeing as how I now had some spark activity, I decided to run another tooth log which is attached. This time it has data, but I'm not sure what it is telling me.
MSQ attached as well.
MS3X on a Porsche 3.6L engine with Triumph Daytona ITBs, Toyota COPs (12) and sequential injection.
billjam
Experienced MS/Extra'er

Post by billjam »

Does the tooth log give any clues to the problem?
MS3X on a Porsche 3.6L engine with Triumph Daytona ITBs, Toyota COPs (12) and sequential injection.
DaveEFI
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by DaveEFI »

billjam wrote:Does the tooth log give any clues to the problem?
No, but it clearly shows one.
Rover SD1 3.5 EFI
MS2 V3
EDIS
Tech Edge O2
London UK.
billjam
Experienced MS/Extra'er

Post by billjam »

I'm stuck here guys.
Does the log give any clues?
Is the tooth log just reading the crank sensor?
What about the cam sensor, is there a way to log this?
jsmcortina
Site Admin

Post by jsmcortina »

That tooth log suggests that half of the teeth on the wheel aren't triggering the sensor - I counted 27 teeth before the very long "missing tooth" gap.

Loggers are in the manual
http://www.msextra.com/doc/pdf/html/Meg ... 3-295.html

James
I can repair or upgrade Megasquirts in UK. http://www.jamesmurrayengineering.co.uk

My Success story: http://www.msextra.com/forums/viewtopic ... 04&t=34277
MSEXTRA documentation at: http://www.msextra.com/doc/index.html
New users, please read the "Forum Help Page".
billr
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by billr »

That crank wheel and sensor are in the bell-housing with the flywheel? Have you visually inspected things back there? Since this all started when the engine was revved up high, I'm wondering if something didn't physically break in there.
billjam
Experienced MS/Extra'er

Post by billjam »

jsmcortina wrote:That tooth log suggests that half of the teeth on the wheel aren't triggering the sensor - I counted 27 teeth before the very long "missing tooth" gap.

Loggers are in the manual
http://www.msextra.com/doc/pdf/html/Meg ... 3-295.html

James
I checked that section of the manual, thanks for the link.

Nothing makes sense with this problem. Without actually changing anything, I have had the ECU not responsive to TunerStudio, then producing blank logs, 60-33 logs!, and even running for a few seconds. Very frustrating.
The sensor was a bit dirty when I checked it on the weekend, but just oily film and clutch dust, nothing magnetic that might affect its performance. I presume that if it is producing impulses, it is OK.
The sensor gap was OK, but I only checked it in one flywheel position.
As billr suggested, maybe something's come adrift - loose flywheel? Hard to image, but it could create some of these issues.
I will try and check that, but access is very limited.

I was looking for a picture of the flywheel and sensor and found this one of flywheel getting torqued. The sensor is at 2 o'clock - with blue note attached to self to "adjust" in case I forget it.
eng assy 121b.jpg
clutch 15c.jpg