Set up Continental Flex Fuel Sensor 13577394

General support questions and announcements for MS3. See also MS3 manuals.

Moderators: jsmcortina, muythaibxr

TerrenceLP
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Set up Continental Flex Fuel Sensor 13577394

Post by TerrenceLP »

Hello,

I just wanted to make sure this will work without trouble.

Sensor 13577394 Continental Flex Fuel (long EFI quick Connect)

PINs are

VCC = Power 12v, Ignition ON power
GND = Grounded to Megasquirt
Out = Signal connected to MS3X Flex Fuel Input.

Here is my question, acording to Continental (Image below),
does the MS3X Flex Fuel Meet these requirements?
FFS01.jpg
Matt Cramer
Super MS/Extra'er

Re: Set up Continental Flex Fuel Sensor 13577394

Post by Matt Cramer »

It works just like the older GM sensors. We have one of them working on a Miata.
Matt Cramer -1966 Dodge Dart slant six running on MS3X
TerrenceLP
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by TerrenceLP »

Ok so wiring is good to go?

I haven't given it power yet, as I wont be tuning e85 anytime soon.
TerrenceLP
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by TerrenceLP »

Matt Cramer wrote:It works just like the older GM sensors. We have one of them working on a Miata.
Can you share the base settings for this sensor? 13577379 GM SENSOR

Also any good starts for a 7mgte? How much timing advance 30% more? or is table switching the way to go?
Matt Cramer
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by Matt Cramer »

They are exactly the same as with a GM sensor.

I'd recommend using table blending.
Matt Cramer -1966 Dodge Dart slant six running on MS3X
jasaircraft
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by jasaircraft »

I just installed one of these on a clients car, so we should use the GM sensor settings within the software? can this one read fuel temp? I just read about it being able to read contaminated fuel when the output frequency is between 180-190hz?
is 12v ok for vcc?
krisr
Master MS/Extra'er

Post by krisr »

Plumbing up these sensors, do they go on the pressure or return line? I've always been curious.... Especially since I'm using the fuel system from a late model Holden Commodore and the regulator/return is all in the fuel pot inside the fuel tank. The only line coming out of the pot is the pressure line to the fuel rails @ 60psi.
Sydney, Australia
1971 Holden Monaro HQ
MS3X Sequentially fuelled 400 Pontiac
matthunter1448
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by matthunter1448 »

return
jsmcortina
Site Admin

Post by jsmcortina »

matthunter1448 wrote:return
So any suggestions in this case where the return line is inside the tank?

James
I can repair or upgrade Megasquirts in UK. http://www.jamesmurrayengineering.co.uk

My Success story: http://www.msextra.com/forums/viewtopic ... 04&t=34277
MSEXTRA documentation at: http://www.msextra.com/doc/index.html
New users, please read the "Forum Help Page".
matthunter1448
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by matthunter1448 »

No sorry didn't read that part
prof315
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by prof315 »

jasaircraft wrote:I just installed one of these on a clients car, so we should use the GM sensor settings within the software? can this one read fuel temp? I just read about it being able to read contaminated fuel when the output frequency is between 180-190hz?
is 12v ok for vcc?
I don't know if it can read fuel temp but 12V works fine for vcc.
Linfert Performance/321 Motorsports
SCCA 2019 SM National Champion Crew Chief
SCCA 2023 FP National Champion Tuner/electrical engineer
100s of MS systems built installed and tuned
Support the developers!
prof315
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by prof315 »

jsmcortina wrote:
matthunter1448 wrote:return
So any suggestions in this case where the return line is inside the tank?

James
Use the pressure line if the diameter is the same or smaller (3/8" if I am not mistaken). If the pressure line is larger you could do a split and return and run the sensor on the split.
Linfert Performance/321 Motorsports
SCCA 2019 SM National Champion Crew Chief
SCCA 2023 FP National Champion Tuner/electrical engineer
100s of MS systems built installed and tuned
Support the developers!
piledriver
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by piledriver »

I'm not totaly confident the late gm sensors could take full line pressure dead headed with some pumps...
The plastic seems pretty thin, and I'm not inclined to test it to failure.

Probably OK with the typical Airtex or Walbro pumps but some Bosch roller cells can dead head ~180-200 PSI @14v.

I would put it on ~zero pressure return line if at all possible.

Non-return fuel systems are how some OEMs save a few bucks per car at your expense.

This is why you get to see modern vehicles suffering from vapor lock again after the issue was a solved engineering problem ~30 years ago.

Non-return fuel system does not improve anything in any way, and should be avoided, or better, "fixed".
Always doing things the hard way, MS2 sequential w/ v1.01 mainboard, LS2 coils. 80 mile/day commuter status.
krisr
Master MS/Extra'er

Post by krisr »

piledriver wrote:This is why you get to see modern vehicles suffering from vapor lock again after the issue was a solved engineering problem ~30 years ago.

Non-return fuel system does not improve anything in any way, and should be avoided, or better, "fixed".
I've never seen a locally made LS powered vehicle vapor lock yet nor has my own LS1 CV8Z Monaro (think 2004 Pontiac GTO) play up once, it's still running the stock OE fuel pump with 400rwhp & 36lb/hr injectors. The fuel module is such a nice compact all in 1 unit (reg/return/venturi jet to keep the swirlpot full/etc..) that's easily to service and retrofit into old fuel tanks with a simple weld in ring, retaining ring and an o-ring to seal it with 1 quick connect fitting to the rail(s) and you're away @ 4bar of fuel pressure. A draw back is the regulator is not vacuum referenced but i've overcome that in my VE table without issue. I can see both sides to this, but the 100's of thousands of these cars sold all with the same fuel system, it has to work or would be an absolute service department nightmare for GM. With todays fuel pressures, i'm surprised people still get vapor lock issues? I've personally not had one since I ran an old Rochester Quadrajet (~5psi fuel pressure).
Sydney, Australia
1971 Holden Monaro HQ
piledriver
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by piledriver »

Not GM so much.
Mustangs...

Not sure what they do different.

Could be as simple as fuel line routing.
Always doing things the hard way, MS2 sequential w/ v1.01 mainboard, LS2 coils. 80 mile/day commuter status.
jasaircraft
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by jasaircraft »

Personally I would add a return line and an easily accesible fuel filter and vaccum referenced regulator to anything i drive.
jasaircraft
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by jasaircraft »

Matt Cramer wrote:They are exactly the same as with a GM sensor.

Hi Matt,
The settings for the old GM sensor, are they the ones that appear on the flex fuel setup by default?
Im installing the short pipe version of the continental senskr on the return line of a subaru.
I was afraid i had to find out the sensor calibration (to input that on the software) by measuring an ammount of alcohol, blending it with another ammount of gasoline then looking at the frequency or something like that.

If the default settings can read the alcohol content precisely then, phew! We save some trouble work.
piledriver
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by piledriver »

jasaircraft wrote:
Matt Cramer wrote:They are exactly the same as with a GM sensor.

Hi Matt,
The settings for the old GM sensor, are they the ones that appear on the flex fuel setup by default?
Im installing the short pipe version of the continental senskr on the return line of a subaru.
I was afraid i had to find out the sensor calibration (to input that on the software) by measuring an ammount of alcohol, blending it with another ammount of gasoline then looking at the frequency or something like that.

If the default settings can read the alcohol content precisely then, phew! We save some trouble work.
The std late GM (Continental) sensor I used seems to be right on the money with defaults settings, referenced vs. a graduated reusable ~$12 E85 test tube off ebay made for that purpose.

I suggest a syringe for accurate filling of the testing tube with water and the fuel under test.
krisr
Master MS/Extra'er

Post by krisr »

I've finally got my continental sensor plumbed and wired in now. I have it in the pressure feed line and it works fine. Before it saw fuel it registered 0% ethanol, the minute I primed the pump it went to 2%. I'm using the stock settings. Hopefully I'll be able to dyno the car with e85 one day and setup proper blending.
Sydney, Australia
1971 Holden Monaro HQ
piledriver
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by piledriver »

krisr wrote:I've finally got my continental sensor plumbed and wired in now. I have it in the pressure feed line and it works fine. Before it saw fuel it registered 0% ethanol, the minute I primed the pump it went to 2%. I'm using the stock settings. Hopefully I'll be able to dyno the car with e85 one day and setup proper blending.

The firmware etc seem to blend fine, although I have yet to find much over E70ish coming out of a pump here, summer or winter. (measured with sensor or check tube)

The blend between "E85" and gas is ~seamless, but try to avoid partial fill ups getting ~e50 as it sucks gas and won't run as lean, at least for me. Gasoline (<E10) or actual >E70-85 work best. In between not so much.

Make sure you have multifuel hose.