5.4 L Lightning Conversion to MS3/extra help

General support questions and announcements for MS3. See also MS3 manuals.

Moderators: jsmcortina, muythaibxr

Tyler Townsley
Helpful MS/Extra'er

5.4 L Lightning Conversion to MS3/extra help

Post by Tyler Townsley »

I am putting a 2001 5.4 Lightning into a 1965 Fairlane. I am using a GT500 Mustang supercharger. It is a clean install with no Ford ECM stuff. Initially I have some questions on the sensors. I read somewhere that Ford uses floating ground sensors vs the GM ground sensors. I plan on using the built in MS MAP but have questions on the Ford TPS, IAC, and IAT sensors and how should they be wired, The same questions re the crank and cam sensors. Grounds are another question, should I use the same engine ground for all sensors or use more than one ground location for various sensors, I plan on using COP and sequential injection. Also what is recommended to make sure I do not have noise problems the various sensor ckts. I have the MegaSquirt-III Engine Management System w/PCB3.57 with pigtail and the factory engine wiring harness. I am using an aftermarket wiring harness for the rest of the car so I could use some tips in that regard too.

http://thepandatrap.com/gallery/65-Fair ... wap?page=1

Thanks.

Tyler
elutionsdesign
Super MS/Extra'er

Re: 5.4 L Lightning Conversion to MS3/extra help

Post by elutionsdesign »

Have you looked at the manuals? They contain the wiring schemes, http://www.msextra.com/doc/pdf/MS3baseV ... re-1.3.pdf. In short, all the sensor grounds go back to the ECU, then the ECU grounds to the engine block.

I've done Ford and Chevy sensors, just follow the manuals and you'll be fine, I never found any differences between them. Looks like a cool project!
Graduate of EFI University.

I build, repair, install and tune Megasquirt systems in North Dakota and beyond!
wes kiser
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by wes kiser »

The Ford IAC is a PWM valve, and the 3.57 board will handle this out of the box.

Since you are re wiring the entire engine, it doesn't really matter what you have heard regarding sensor grounds. The Fords i am familiar with all share a common sensor "signal return." This gets terminated at the "sensor ground" MS wire, and all are tapped together. If you have no real interest in retaining pieces of Ford harness, it may not be a bad plan to install GM coolant and intake temp sensors, (easier to get new plugs, cheaper, always the default on a firmware reflash), but this is in no way necessary.

The Ford coils are "dumb" coils. This means you will need to use an external ignitor. DIY sells one, or you could use two 4 channel Bosch modules if you prefer OE stuff you can get at a part store or junk yard.
http://www.microsquirt.info/Bosch_211.htm

Wire per MS3 documentation. I posted the link to the microsquirt page simply because that came up in a web search and listed applications.
86 Rx-7, swapped to 2.3 ford turbo (BW EFR 6758), ms3/ms3x sequential fuel /waste spark, ls2 coils
88 Tbird 2.3t, Microsquirt Module (PIMP), TFI ignition
Tyler Townsley
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by Tyler Townsley »

Will the MegaSquirt-III Engine Management System w/PCB3.57 run COP for all 8 coils from a 2002 ford V 8 without any changes. I do not want to run EDIS 8, I want to fire the coils from the MS. I have the 8 output lines but I am not sure the output will fire the coils or do I need some kind igniter board? Everything I read is geared to wasted spark modules or the EDIS 8 module. A component/wiring diagram would be very helpful. IE what do I need to do on the 8 COP outputs to fire these coils?

Thanks

Tyler
prof315
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by prof315 »

Tyler Townsley wrote:Will the MegaSquirt-III Engine Management System w/PCB3.57 run COP for all 8 coils from a 2002 ford V 8 without any changes. I do not want to run EDIS 8, I want to fire the coils from the MS. I have the 8 output lines but I am not sure the output will fire the coils or do I need some kind igniter board? Everything I read is geared to wasted spark modules or the EDIS 8 module. A component/wiring diagram would be very helpful. IE what do I need to do on the 8 COP outputs to fire these coils?

Thanks

Tyler
Ford COPs of that vintage need an ignitor of some sort. I would recommend 2 DIYAutotune Quadspark boxes. http://www.diyautotune.com/catalog/quad ... p-481.html
Linfert Performance/321 Motorsports
SCCA 2019 SM National Champion Crew Chief
SCCA 2023 FP National Champion Tuner/electrical engineer
100s of MS systems built installed and tuned
Support the developers!
DaveEFI
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by DaveEFI »

Tyler Townsley wrote:I am putting a 2001 5.4 Lightning into a 1965 Fairlane. I am using a GT500 Mustang supercharger. It is a clean install with no Ford ECM stuff. Initially I have some questions on the sensors. I read somewhere that Ford uses floating ground sensors vs the GM ground sensors. I plan on using the built in MS MAP but have questions on the Ford TPS, IAC, and IAT sensors and how should they be wired, The same questions re the crank and cam sensors. Grounds are another question, should I use the same engine ground for all sensors or use more than one ground location for various sensors, I plan on using COP and sequential injection. Also what is recommended to make sure I do not have noise problems the various sensor ckts. I have the MegaSquirt-III Engine Management System w/PCB3.57 with pigtail and the factory engine wiring harness. I am using an aftermarket wiring harness for the rest of the car so I could use some tips in that regard too.

http://thepandatrap.com/gallery/65-Fair ... wap?page=1

Thanks.

Tyler
In general, sensors like ATS and CTS will have two terminals if isolated ground. Those which ground via the block, only one. Most designed for injection will have two. Those which only drive a gauge on the dash can be one.
Rover SD1 3.5 EFI
MS2 V3
EDIS
Tech Edge O2
London UK.
Tyler Townsley
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by Tyler Townsley »

[quote="prof315"][quote="Tyler Townsley"]Will the MegaSquirt-III Engine Management System w/PCB3.57 run COP for all 8 coils from a 2002 ford V 8 without any changes. I do not want to run EDIS 8, I want to fire the coils from the MS. I have the 8 output lines but I am not sure the output will fire the coils or do I need some kind igniter board? Everything I read is geared to wasted spark modules or the EDIS 8 module. A component/wiring diagram would be very helpful. IE what do I need to do on the 8 COP outputs to fire these coils?

Thanks

Tyler[/quote]

Ford COPs of that vintage need an ignitor of some sort. I would recommend 2 DIYAutotune Quadspark boxes. http://www.diyautotune.com/catalog/quad ... p-481.html[/quote]

Ordered 2 spark boxes, thanks. There is so much information out there that I just got sidetracked on what I needed to use.

Tyler