Vehicle speed sensor question from the new guy.

General support questions and announcements for MS3. See also MS3 manuals.

Moderators: jsmcortina, muythaibxr

BigWorm32218
MS/Extra Newbie

Vehicle speed sensor question from the new guy.

Post by BigWorm32218 »

I'm picking up a Ms3x this weekend and just doing research right now. I found a autometer sending unit that bolts directly on to my transmission.

Is it really as simple and sending this square wave signal into a designated input and setting up the parameters and have a working VSS ?

I also want to do a 2nd VSS from the factory front wheel abs tone ring and sensor for traction control (car no longer has ABS) but I assume that signal will need to be modified to be used ?

http://static.summitracing.com/global/i ... s/1168.pdf
dontz125
Super MS/Extra'er

Re: Vehicle speed sensor question from the new guy.

Post by dontz125 »

Sometimes, it really is that simple. The units you've shown would be set up as Digital, Driveline, 16 teeth. The input port, final drive ratio and wheel size would be up to you.

The second VSS would be set up as Digital, Wheel, plus however many teeth on the tone ring. Assuming your ABS sensor is a Hall device, no real modifying would be needed. If it's a VR sensor, then you'll need to condition it.
Temporarily shut down - back soon!
QuadraMAP Sensor Module -- PWM-to-Stepper Controller -- Dual Coil Driver
Coming soon: OctoMAP Sensor Module
TTR Ignition Systems
BigWorm32218
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by BigWorm32218 »

My car is a 2000 Ford Mustang, Im pretty sure the OEM front abs sensor is a VR 2 wire sensor, is the Dakota Digital an acceptable "conditioner" is is there a different /better/easier way to use the OEM abs sensor and tone ring.

thanks in advance
nathaninwa
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by nathaninwa »

I've used the DD sgi-5 box with good results. I've since moved to the jbperf dual vr board and feel it's less noisy and not as laggy to respond. Google the 2.1 dual vr board
Volvo 940, 2jzge, MS3Pro, daily
240Z, 2JZ, MS3Pro boost control
BigWorm32218
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by BigWorm32218 »

nathaninwa wrote:I've used the DD sgi-5 box with good results. I've since moved to the jbperf dual vr board and feel it's less noisy and not as laggy to respond. Google the 2.1 dual vr board

that's a nice piece, do they make the external one for dummies- basically a wire pigtail with signal in and signal out labels- im pretty weak when it comes to wiring and soldering.
nathaninwa
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by nathaninwa »

The dual vr board is meant to mount inside a megasquirt case. He has 2 options, a 12 and 5 volt unit. I have the 12v model and it's just wrapped up in some tape under the dash. Yes you have to solder, but the board is clearly marked what is what
Volvo 940, 2jzge, MS3Pro, daily
240Z, 2JZ, MS3Pro boost control
BigWorm32218
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by BigWorm32218 »

nathaninwa wrote:The dual vr board is meant to mount inside a megasquirt case. He has 2 options, a 12 and 5 volt unit. I have the 12v model and it's just wrapped up in some tape under the dash. Yes you have to solder, but the board is clearly marked what is what

OK- thanks