VSS - Tableswitch connections for Formula SAE car

General support questions and announcements for MS3. See also MS3 manuals.

Moderators: jsmcortina, muythaibxr

Piachnp
MS/Extra Newbie

VSS - Tableswitch connections for Formula SAE car

Post by Piachnp »

Hello everyone, this is my first post here. I am a student from the Columbia FSAE Team (https://columbiafsae.org/) and we are using the MS3X/V3.57 on our car. Just for context, the car uses a CRB600F4i engine.
While I've been reading the manual for both MS3X and TunerStudio, I am struggling to find some detailed information on how the hardware connection would work. I am looking to implement 2 things:

1) Table switching : Idea is to switch between 2 AFR tables. One table would probably run rich for max performance, the other would be running lean to reduce fuel consumption in endurance.
TunerStudio Configuration :

Dual Fuel Enable > ON
Mode > Switching
Outputs mode & Secondary Outputs > I have no idea what this means
Input pin > Tableswitch
ALT AFR Tables > ON
Everything else OFF

As far as I can tell, I should connect a simple switch to, say, the Tableswitch input pin(gnd). However, how will I know, which table is active at the moment???? Say that the switch is floating, so there is no GND connection to the Tableswitch pin, which table is active? Grounding the input pin will switch always to Table #2 and floating will always be Table#1 ????

2) Adjustable Traction control:
I have hall sensors triggered by toothed wheels on both front and rear tires. This are powered by battery voltage (+12v), so I get square 12v signals from both the driven and non-driven wheel. Frequency on both these signals will probably not exceed 300Hz.
My idea was to connect both of these to the digital inputs on the MS3X: Launch and Datalog inputs. Will these inputs take a 12V signal or should it be 5V ?? Another concern is that the square signal probably does not go all the way to ground, will that still work ??

I know maybe some of these questions could be answered by just trying, but my time with the actual car is very limited and I want to get everything cleared up before I actually go in and start wiring stuff.
Thanks in advance for your answers
elutionsdesign
Super MS/Extra'er

Re: VSS - Tableswitch connections for Formula SAE car

Post by elutionsdesign »

Dual fuel is for another application, just turn AFR table switch to the appropriate pin. Yes, floating AFR1, grounded AFR2.

12V or 5V square wave should work, it doesn't need to go all the way to ground.
Graduate of EFI University.

I build, repair, install and tune Megasquirt systems in North Dakota and beyond!
Piachnp
MS/Extra Newbie

Re: VSS - Tableswitch connections for Formula SAE car

Post by Piachnp »

Thank you very much for your answer!