Launch control settings for flames

General support questions and announcements for MS3. See also MS3 manuals.

Moderators: jsmcortina, muythaibxr

crusty_shadow
MS/Extra Newbie

Launch control settings for flames

Post by crusty_shadow »

yesterday I decided to play around with the launch control feature for the first time, im running MS3 MS3X with alpha 11 firmware.

my question is what are general setting people are using to get the nice big flames out of the exhaust? Yes I know its very hard on the turbo / engine but its still fun to show off with occasionally. so far I've been able to get the machine gun sound without any problems but I have yet to get any flames out of the pipe. this car has no cat and no muffler- just about 8 feet of 2.5" pipe coming off the turbo with a side dump. after reading around on some other posts I am using spark cut only, 4/5 ignition events, hard launch limit of 4000 rpm, soft limit zone of 200, soft limit retard of -10 deg no extra fuel added.
do I need to retard timing further or add fuel when the lauch control is activated or both? ive read around on some forums and looked at a couple .msq's and the general range of ignition timing retard is anywhere from -20 to -40 depending on the car- does that seem like a reasonable range? im looking for that "impress your friends and annoy your neighbors" setting when im out and about messing around. I will be using a more correct setting to build boost off the line at the track but I want a "fun" setting too.
wes kiser
Super MS/Extra'er

Re: Launch control settings for flames

Post by wes kiser »

While this has nothing to do with your desire to see flames, cuttings 4 spark events from 5 is not good practice. Always cut an odd number, from and odd number to guarantee the pattern rotates.

I have never actually thought about making flames (generally I try to do the opposite). My "gut" feeling is keep the "cut" percentage relatively low (like cut 3 sparks from 5 events), Retard a little further assuming COP, and ADD fuel when on the launch limiter. This will give a very HOT mixture that can't really burn until it exits the pipe and sees oxygen.

I want to go on the record as saying this is absolutely horrible for your turbo, as well as the potential safety of anything near your car. Generally the flames just happen for me on launch limiters, whether I want them to or not (I know with 100% certainty that on an inline 4 cylinder, waste spark, 4' downpipe off turbo that addding no fuel, retarding to 0 degrees, and cutting 5 from 7 absolutely results in huge/embarrasing/dangerous flame.)
86 Rx-7, swapped to 2.3 ford turbo (BW EFR 6758), ms3/ms3x sequential fuel /waste spark, ls2 coils
88 Tbird 2.3t, Microsquirt Module (PIMP), TFI ignition
crusty_shadow
MS/Extra Newbie

Re: Launch control settings for flames

Post by crusty_shadow »

ok it looks like i'll be trying 5 of 7 and 0 degrees advance with the launch control activated. thanks for the help