what sensor is best

General support questions and announcements for MS3. See also MS3 manuals.

Moderators: jsmcortina, muythaibxr

uncommoncents
MS/Extra Newbie

what sensor is best

Post by uncommoncents »

hello all.

I was wondering what the best sensor is for the ms3 is (cam trigger wise) hall,vr,optical. I am currently thinking of changing of going to a hall due to the fact i am have massive problems with my vr sensor. Matt at diyautotune has been helping me with my vr sensor problems and doing a great job, but i am getting the feeling that another type of sensor could be way less trouble. thank you all
DaveEFI
Super MS/Extra'er

Re: what sensor is best

Post by DaveEFI »

VR sensors are the most common and the most reliable. They are little more than a coil of wire. If you are having problems, it's likely down to other factors like the VR input not being correctly adjusted, or the wiring etc picking up interference, assuming the sensor is ok and correctly positioned. A hall effect produces a more consistent signal since it has internal electronics, but those electronics also make it less reliable, since it usually positioned where it will suffer extremes of heat.

Either will do the job - it's really your choice.
Rover SD1 3.5 EFI
MS2 V3
EDIS
Tech Edge O2
London UK.
uncommoncents
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by uncommoncents »

thanks for your input Dave. I went with a hall effect
Matt Cramer
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by Matt Cramer »

We generally favor Hall effect sensors as they produce an on/off signal with no changes in intensity with RPM. VR sensors change voltage with RPM and it can be a challenge to read at both low and high RPM.
Matt Cramer -1966 Dodge Dart slant six running on MS3X
Martin01
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by Martin01 »

Hey guys,

I need your help pls, on my megasquirt 3 the ouptut voltage on every single PWM output chanel is only 0-1.5V.
What I need is 0-5V. Is there an option in the megasquirt software to turn the PWM-output voltage from 0-5V?
Thank you very much!
HyBriDe TEkkEN
prof315
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by prof315 »

Martin01 wrote:Hey guys,

I need your help pls, on my megasquirt 3 the ouptut voltage on every single PWM output chanel is only 0-1.5V.
What I need is 0-5V. Is there an option in the megasquirt software to turn the PWM-output voltage from 0-5V?
Thank you very much!

Megasquirt doesn't use high side drivers. With the exception of logic level spark outputs that are 5V at milliamp current levels all the rest of the standard outputs are GROUND drivers. If you need a high side driver you will have to build your own.
Linfert Performance/321 Motorsports
SCCA 2019 SM National Champion Crew Chief
SCCA 2023 FP National Champion Tuner/electrical engineer
100s of MS systems built installed and tuned
Support the developers!