MSD 6AL wiring to MS3 v3.57 w/MS3X

General support questions and announcements for MS3. See also MS3 manuals.

Moderators: jsmcortina, muythaibxr

black 89turbo
Experienced MS/Extra'er

MSD 6AL wiring to MS3 v3.57 w/MS3X

Post by black 89turbo »

I was wondering if anyone has any information on how to wire a MSD 6AL ignition box to MS3 V3.57 w/MS3X with a 4 wire distributor? I have a 1987 Nissan 300zx and the dizzy is a 4 wire, power, ground, and 2 signal wire distributor. The MSD box says to wire the Violet(+) and Green(-) to the power and ground on the distributor. Now my issue is the Negative on the MS3 main board DB37, pin #1, is the ground for the distributor and is not to be spliced. Should I just ground the MSD box to the chassis? Should I ground the MSD to an unused ground (pins 14-19) on the main board? My original plan was to wire the power to the Violet and the ground to the ground on the dizzy (as just power and ground to the dizzy) go just power the dizzy. Then just wire the 2 signal wires to the MS3. But then I realized that the ground from the MS3 was in the shielded wire harness from the MS3 and should not be spliced. Does anyone have any insight they wanna share?

On the second hand, I have emailed DIYautotune on this issue this morning(03/27), and Matt Cramer said, "Do not use the green or violet wires - connect the MS3 ignition output to the white wire. The grounds should not be tied together." I don't think he understood what I was asking. Also, Im not sure if the MSD box can be used without the Violet and Green wires, wired to the dizzy? I could not find anything online stating the box can be used w/out these wired. Now I do know how to wire the 2 signal wires, but im looking to wire the POWER AND GROUND.

(great diagram picture made from paint!)
black 89turbo
Experienced MS/Extra'er

Re: MSD 6AL wiring to MS3 v3.57 w/MS3X

Post by black 89turbo »

So I did finally find;

"These wires are routed together in one harness to form the Magnetic Pickup connector. The connector plugs directly into an MSD Distributor or Crank Trigger. It will also connect to factory magnetic pickups or other aftermarket pickups. The Violet wire is positive (+) and the Green is negative (-). When these wires are used, the White wire is not."
Matt Cramer
Super MS/Extra'er

Re: MSD 6AL wiring to MS3 v3.57 w/MS3X

Post by Matt Cramer »

Wire the distributor to the MS3 - ONLY - and the MS3 tach output to the MSD white wire.
Matt Cramer -1966 Dodge Dart slant six running on MS3X