what happens on loss of cam input ?

General support questions and announcements for MS3. See also MS3 manuals.

Moderators: jsmcortina, muythaibxr

bill
MS/Extra Newbie

what happens on loss of cam input ?

Post by bill »

Hi all , been reading through posts and manuals but not been able to find anything relating to this one .
we are running 4 cyl turbo unit with cop and 60-2 crank and single cam pulse full sequntial fueling . on ms3x latest code
while running on track we had a cam sensor fault and i am asuming that the code switched to wasted spark and semiseq fuel .
we have not got any sensor checking enabled at this time.
the car still was drivable but was running very rich afr 9 .
just wondering where i would find infomation on what happens when these faults happen and what the software does .

regards Bill
dontz125
Super MS/Extra'er

Re: what happens on loss of cam input ?

Post by dontz125 »

The way James explained it to me, when running a normal Dual Wheel (missing tooth), is that the code only checks for the cam tooth while cranking. Once it achieves sync, it ignores the cam signal until a loss sync event, at which point it tries again.

If you had a loss of sync AND a cam failure at the same time, then it should be running semi-seq. If you have the CEL / Limp Mode activated and set to monitor the cam signal, then all sorts of things can happen, depending on how you've set it up.
Temporarily shut down - back soon!
QuadraMAP Sensor Module -- PWM-to-Stepper Controller -- Dual Coil Driver
Coming soon: OctoMAP Sensor Module
TTR Ignition Systems
bill
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by bill »

thanks for reply, ok can see once it has started with the cam it would know where it is if cam signal removed .
and no problems with crank signal , but i undestand from driver that car stalled and he had to restart when bringing it back to pits , the motor had been changed and the cam cover with the sensor in it had been switched to the new motor .
it seems that once it got hot and the cover expanded it stopped working looks like we need to dowl the cover so it always fits back to same place . will try a test next time at the car will remove cam plug and see if it will start.
it could be that the cam sensor was working at low speed when cranking and then stopped once speed picked up .
all good fun

bill
dontz125
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by dontz125 »

Some Hall sensors / gear tooth sensors have limited temperature ratings - great for transmissions, VSS, even carefully placed crank sensors. A cam sensor above the engine has to be selected with some attention to the datasheet ...
Temporarily shut down - back soon!
QuadraMAP Sensor Module -- PWM-to-Stepper Controller -- Dual Coil Driver
Coming soon: OctoMAP Sensor Module
TTR Ignition Systems