Experiences with widebands equipped with Bosch 4.9?

General support questions and announcements for MS3. See also MS3 manuals.

Moderators: jsmcortina, muythaibxr

HIturbo
MS/Extra Newbie

Experiences with widebands equipped with Bosch 4.9?

Post by HIturbo »

I'm really having a hard time figuring out which wideband to get. Theres plenty of info out there on old set ups but seems limited on the new Bosch 4.9 sensor equipped widebands. Who has some input on widebands equipped with the Bosch 4.9?
kjones6039
Super MS/Extra'er

Re: Experiences with widebands equipped with Bosch 4.9?

Post by kjones6039 »

FWIW............ The Spartan Lambda controller (the one I use) from 14point7<dot>com uses the 4.9 sensor.................. I suspect there several others also.

My experience with the 14point7 unit has been nothing but positive, if that's what you're asking. :D

Ken
1979 Corvette - 383 CID SBC w/ Holley Pro-Jection 900 CFM TBI, 4-85 lb lo-z injectors & Walbro 255 pump
MS2 v3 w/extra 3.4.2 Release
36-1, Delphi LS2/7 coils in wasted spark, driven by v2.0 logic board from JBPerformance
Spartan Lambda Sensor from 14point7
TinyIOX from JBPerformance
MWPau
Master MS/Extra'er

Post by MWPau »

The 14point7 units look great, and have good reviews, but the guy running the company is *shocking* at sales & support.
I wanted to buy a Spartan2, but needed some more info. I sent him an email, asked on his forum, asked on his facebook page. It took him ~3 weeks to reply to me, and i got a vague reply which did not answer my question.
On looking around more, it seems this and people never receiving the units they've paid for is a common problem.

Innovate are now selling 4.9 enabled LC2's and similar products.
They haven't been out long though so there aren't many reviews around yet.

The other company i know of is TechEdge.
There are lots of good reports about their products.
Toyota Celica GT4/Alltrac with 5S-GTE stroker (2.2L I4 turbo, high CR) on E85 w/FlexFuel.
MS3 + MS3X + KnockBoard + RTC + BT + DIY CAN-IO-Board + DIY CAN Digital Dash.
kjones6039
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by kjones6039 »

MWPau wrote:The 14point7 units look great, and have good reviews, but the guy running the company is *shocking* at sales & support.
I wanted to buy a Spartan2, but needed some more info. I sent him an email, asked on his forum, asked on his facebook page. It took him ~3 weeks to reply to me, and i got a vague reply which did not answer my question.
On looking around more, it seems this and people never receiving the units they've paid for is a common problem.
I understand your frustration. Alan is not real good at looking after his clientele. All-in-all, I have personally gotten fairly good service from Alan.
Innovate are now selling 4.9 enabled LC2's and similar products.
They haven't been out long though so there aren't many reviews around yet.
I know I'm gonna get flamed for this, but I would not have an Innovate as a precious gift! I have several in my shop that I use for door stops, paper weights, etc. Wanna buy one??? :lol:
The other company i know of is TechEdge.
There are lots of good reports about their products.
TechEdge may well be a good choice. I have seen a lot of good comments from any number of users, on several forums, including this one of course.

Ken
1979 Corvette - 383 CID SBC w/ Holley Pro-Jection 900 CFM TBI, 4-85 lb lo-z injectors & Walbro 255 pump
36-1, Delphi LS2/7 coils in wasted spark, driven by v2.0 logic board from JBPerformance
wes kiser
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by wes kiser »

I have purchased a little over a dozen spartan's (both old "cables", 4.2 controllers, and 4.9 controllers). They work great. I don't really care about support, as it isn't really the type of thing that requires support. I do have about a 20% infant mortality rate, but never a failure of a working "good" one. He has always been quite good about sending replacements, and I always buy more than one at a time so no big deal.
86 Rx-7, swapped to 2.3 ford turbo (BW EFR 6758), ms3/ms3x sequential fuel /waste spark, ls2 coils
88 Tbird 2.3t, Microsquirt Module (PIMP), TFI ignition
prof315
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by prof315 »

wes kiser wrote:I have purchased a little over a dozen spartan's (both old "cables", 4.2 controllers, and 4.9 controllers). They work great. I don't really care about support, as it isn't really the type of thing that requires support. I do have about a 20% infant mortality rate, but never a failure of a working "good" one. He has always been quite good about sending replacements, and I always buy more than one at a time so no big deal.
Ditto except I'm seeing about 10% "infant mortality.
Linfert Performance/321 Motorsports
SCCA 2019 SM National Champion Crew Chief
SCCA 2023 FP National Champion Tuner/electrical engineer
100s of MS systems built installed and tuned
Support the developers!
HIturbo
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by HIturbo »

I actually ended buying a new mtlx because after calling around, the guy at innovate definitely sounded much more knowledgable on the topic and I also found out that innovate since last week has begun shipping all widebands with the updated bosch 4.9. They guaranteed me that the new sensor will not have any significant real world gains over the 4.2 and if I can get a good deal on a 4.2 that it's perfectly fine and I shouldn't care. Well since the 4.2 is being phased out anyways, I decided I would want to get the updated 4.9 sensor. Luckily I found out that 949 restocks innovative stuff every week so they should have the new 4.9. The item number is apparently the same so the only way you can tell the difference is by looking at the box appreantly. Anyways, I put in a order with 949 and its on its way. at $160 I'm suuper happy :yeah!:
gui67
Experienced MS/Extra'er

Post by gui67 »

kjones6039 wrote:I understand your frustration. Alan is not real good at looking after his clientele. All-in-all, I have personally gotten fairly good service from Alan.

Ken
I must be very lucky then, I have a LC1 since 2007 and it is still working fine. I just had to replace the sensor last year after 7 years. I bought a new 4.2 for 70$ and it is working fine again.
I bought an LC2 for an other project, I hope it will hold as long as the LC1.
EspeNS
Experienced MS/Extra'er

Post by EspeNS »

What I have figured out is that AEM use LSU 4.9 in all new wideband kits, thoug you still find some old stock with 4.2. Not long ago i buyed 2 AEM kits with 4.9.
After several failures of LC-1 and MT-X's from Inovate I want to try another brand. The funny thing is that all Inovate widebands I have used in my own cars have worked flawless, but none of the installs I have done in other cars.
-84 Ford Sierra 2,0ohc GL, soon to be MS'd, NA tuned with rallyecam and TBI.
-98 Mustang Cobra, track car.
MWPau
Master MS/Extra'er

Post by MWPau »

gui67 wrote:I must be very lucky then, I have a LC1 since 2007 and it is still working fine. I just had to replace the sensor last year after 7 years. I bought a new 4.2 for 70$ and it is working fine again.
I bought an LC2 for an other project, I hope it will hold as long as the LC1.
Yeah, same here. My LC1 works just fine.
I thought it had died, hence looking at 14point7 units, but since have got the LC1 working again.
It was a problem with serial communications to my TinyIOx. It was due to cable length, easily fixed with better cables.
Knowing that the reading from the LC1 is accurate (no analog drift/ground issues since its digital) is very reassuring.
Toyota Celica GT4/Alltrac with 5S-GTE stroker (2.2L I4 turbo, high CR) on E85 w/FlexFuel.
MS3 + MS3X + KnockBoard + RTC + BT + DIY CAN-IO-Board + DIY CAN Digital Dash.
HIturbo
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by HIturbo »

New 4.9 sensor, check

I'm pretty sure I'll be going with the white face to match my oem gauges but either way I'l be painting the black surround flat black. I want this thing to stay low key. I'll give a try at making a good write up with plenty of pictures. Tips are welcome
slow_hemi6
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by slow_hemi6 »

Those mtxl still using the one ground wire for both heater and controller? If so my guess you will soon be posting to find out why you have an offset between the gauge and tuner studio. Anyways with regards to looking for the best salesman to get the best product.... well good luck with that.
Fishermen have a saying that "most lures are designed to catch fishermen, not fish."
Find the Manuals up top under Quick links: Manuals. :RTFM:
Cheers Luke
HIturbo
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by HIturbo »

kjones6039
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by kjones6039 »

Yep!! Just what Luke was alluding to! The heater and controller share the same ground! :?

Ken
EspeNS
Experienced MS/Extra'er

Post by EspeNS »

If I've read right, the lsu 4.9 should use quite a bit lesser current than the 4.2.
That could result in lower offset?
-84 Ford Sierra 2,0ohc GL, soon to be MS'd, NA tuned with rallyecam and TBI.
-98 Mustang Cobra, track car.
HIturbo
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by HIturbo »

7.5 on the 4.9 compared to 10? on the 4.2. http://www.bosch-motorsport.com/media/c ... 083pdf.pdf

I have no idea how this will play a role. LOL
slow_hemi6
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by slow_hemi6 »

This is the type of issue others have had with the mtx-l's output. http://www.msextra.com/forums/viewtopic ... 93#p406893
Find the Manuals up top under Quick links: Manuals. :RTFM:
Cheers Luke
old guy
Experienced MS/Extra'er

Post by old guy »

You can get the ALM board with the 4.9 sensor here for $129. It uses the Bosch CJ125 controller chip that they recommend for this sensor. http://www.ecotrons.com/products/wideba ... alm-board/
9secz
Experienced MS/Extra'er

Post by 9secz »

old guy wrote:You can get the ALM board with the 4.9 sensor here for $129. It uses the Bosch CJ125 controller chip that they recommend for this sensor. http://www.ecotrons.com/products/wideba ... alm-board/
Has anybody connected an ALM-S to their MS3 via CAN?

I'm ready to abandon my old LC1/TinyIOx setup, but I like the noise immunity of digital AFR data transmission.

Jeff
racingmini_mtl
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by racingmini_mtl »

9secz wrote:I'm ready to abandon my old LC1/TinyIOx setup
It's a bit off topic but can you tell me why you want to abandon it?

Jean
jbperf.com Main site . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . jbperf.com Forum