Fractional Tachometer Signal

General support questions and announcements for MS3. See also MS3 manuals.

Moderators: jsmcortina, muythaibxr

Healey3000
Experienced MS/Extra'er

Fractional Tachometer Signal

Post by Healey3000 »

Hi,

I have a situation where the engine is a four-cylinder but the tach is designed for a six-cylinder. Therefore, the tach is expecting to see six pulses per engine cycle (three per crank revolution) but MS3 naturally can't provide that.

One possible way I could do this is to trigger off a single Tach Out pulse from MS3 and then count crank teeth, generating a pulse every N teeth, thereby creating "extra" pulses (using a separate microcontroller). To do this, it is important to know the timing of the tach pulse from MS3 with respect to crank position. I have searched through the documentation but have not found this information. I assume the mention of "cylinder event" means that the pulse is indeed at a known position.

Alternatively, I suppose I could build a missing tooth detector external to MS3 and generate precisely positioned pulses that way. Does MS3 offer a "sync" output of any kind that would allow me to know engine position at each revolution?

Thanks!
DaveEFI
Super MS/Extra'er

Re: Fractional Tachometer Signal

Post by DaveEFI »

How easy is it to get inside the actual tach? Might just be easier to replace the electronics with a modern chip which allows you to select the number of cylinders. Other way might be a kit from Jaycar designed to correct electronic speedos when you change the axle ratio. It's the same sort of thing.

Unless it really is easy to do it with MS.
Rover SD1 3.5 EFI
MS2 V3
EDIS
Tech Edge O2
London UK.
billr
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by billr »

I have used a CMOS 4046 PLL to increase frequencies.
phoenix3d
Experienced MS/Extra'er

Post by phoenix3d »

Hi guys..

have a look at the Latest MS3 firmware (Beta) of course.. it has fractional Tachometer output run it at 130% or so...

Gordon
kaeman
Master MS/Extra'er

Post by kaeman »

why not put a 4 cylinder tach in the vehicle to match the 4 cylinder engine?
64 el camino, 383 SBC, 11.7 to1 CR, accufab tb/rhs intake, 44lb injectors, trick flow heads, xr292r solid roller cam, belt drive camshaft, dry sump oil system, 2400 stall, turbo 350, spooled 9 inch, strange axles, 3.89 gears, dual wideband, full sequential fuel/cop, MS3x using 1.4.1 code.