cam sync pulse question

General support questions and announcements for MS3. See also MS3 manuals.

Moderators: jsmcortina, muythaibxr

sd1nl
Master MS/Extra'er

cam sync pulse question

Post by sd1nl »

Hi,

I'm planning to make my v8 fully sequential with MS3. I currrently run semi-seq with a 36-1 triggerwheel. So I need a camsync pulse.

Because I like to keep the distributor and single coil I am planning to use a sensor wrapped around the nr2 cylinder ht lead, thus providing a suitable cam sync pulse.

Apperently old BMW's and Audi's did the same.

My worry is this: it is necessary to have the coil sparking otherwise I will have no camsync pulse, but will the coil start sparking without the camp pulse?

Is there anybody who knows this, because I have been desperately looking into the manuals but this seems something no one has done before.

Rene
Rover Vitesse 3.5
MS3 full-sequential
36-1 triggerwheel
Direct coil control
Innovate LC1 wideband lambda sensor
sd1nl
Master MS/Extra'er

Re: cam sync pulse question

Post by sd1nl »

Let me rephrase: is it possible in a single coil installation to get a spark before there is a camsync pulse?

Anyone?
Rover Vitesse 3.5
MS3 full-sequential
36-1 triggerwheel
Direct coil control
grom_e30
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by grom_e30 »

as far as im aware it should work, when using sequential ignition the ignition starts in wasted spark then switches to full sequential when the ecu sees the cam pulse same with the fuel, starts in semi and switches to sequential so i think you will be fine with a single coil. my bmw originally had one of the sensors on the plug lead and i often wondered if that could be used as a cam signal.
1990 bmw 320i daily driver with m20b25 ms3 sequential fuel, 380cc injectors, d585 coil near plug, home made cam sync, launch control, fan control, vss, homebrew egt logging what's next????
DaveEFI
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by DaveEFI »

Hi Rene,
Since you already have a 36-1 crank wheel, the dizzy is only being used to send the spark to the correct plug? If so, you could grind all the teeth but one off the dizzy trigger wheel, and use the original dizzy VR sensor?
Rover SD1 3.5 EFI
MS2 V3
EDIS
Tech Edge O2
London UK.
sd1nl
Master MS/Extra'er

Post by sd1nl »

grom_e30 wrote:as far as im aware it should work, when using sequential ignition the ignition starts in wasted spark then switches to full sequential when the ecu sees the cam pulse same with the fuel, starts in semi and switches to sequential so i think you will be fine with a single coil. my bmw originally had one of the sensors on the plug lead and i often wondered if that could be used as a cam signal.
Ok, but I don't use sequential ignition. I use single coil. There is nothing in the literature about if the system starts giving ignition pulses before camsync

@ mr James Murray: could you help me out here?
Rover Vitesse 3.5
MS3 full-sequential
36-1 triggerwheel
Direct coil control
jsmcortina
Site Admin

Post by jsmcortina »

That's not a recommended configuration. I don't know if it would work.

I'd suggest following Dave's advice and implementing a real cam trigger.

James
I can repair or upgrade Megasquirts in UK. http://www.jamesmurrayengineering.co.uk

My Success story: http://www.msextra.com/forums/viewtopic ... 04&t=34277
MSEXTRA documentation at: http://www.msextra.com/doc/index.html
New users, please read the "Forum Help Page".
sd1nl
Master MS/Extra'er

Post by sd1nl »

I would have to modify the car for that. It is possible, but I would rather not.

I guess it should work, I just need to know if the ignition starts before the campulse, otherwise it would obviously not work.

Is there a way to find out? (as I haven't bought the MS3 yet, and I cannot try 8 cyl sequential on an MS2)....
Rover Vitesse 3.5
MS3 full-sequential
36-1 triggerwheel
Direct coil control
DaveEFI
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by DaveEFI »

I'm slightly confused, Rene. :D You have a crank trigger wheel. But is the ignition still more or less standard dizzy? Ie, standalone - not controlled by MS?
Rover SD1 3.5 EFI
MS2 V3
EDIS
Tech Edge O2
London UK.
sd1nl
Master MS/Extra'er

Post by sd1nl »

DaveEFI wrote:I'm slightly confused, Rene. :D You have a crank trigger wheel. But is the ignition still more or less standard dizzy? Ie, standalone - not controlled by MS?

Crank trigger, ignition single coil, but controlled by MS. In theory you are right, I could use the trigger inside the distributor. I would have to sacrifice the distributor for that though....
Rover Vitesse 3.5
MS3 full-sequential
36-1 triggerwheel
Direct coil control
sd1nl
Master MS/Extra'er

Post by sd1nl »

I already have the ht lead sensor prepared....
image.jpg
Rover Vitesse 3.5
MS3 full-sequential
36-1 triggerwheel
Direct coil control
DaveEFI
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by DaveEFI »

sd1nl wrote:
DaveEFI wrote:I'm slightly confused, Rene. :D You have a crank trigger wheel. But is the ignition still more or less standard dizzy? Ie, standalone - not controlled by MS?

Crank trigger, ignition single coil, but controlled by MS. In theory you are right, I could use the trigger inside the distributor. I would have to sacrifice the distributor for that though....
Don't see why. All you need to do is grind off 7 of the teeth on the reluctor wheel. The wheel is a separate item - I'll send you one if you need a spare. I'd remove the amp and take the tach feed direct from the VR sensor - but you could probably leave the amp in place, add a dummy load, and take the tach signal from that. (I'm assuming you have the DLM dizzy - but the principle is the same with others.
Rover SD1 3.5 EFI
MS2 V3
EDIS
Tech Edge O2
London UK.
sd1nl
Master MS/Extra'er

Post by sd1nl »

Been thinking about it and maybe you guys are right and am I making my life too difficult.

I might go for the stock vr sensor inside the dizzy. (If it works in combination with the ms3x board)

Which tooth would I have to leave on? The first pulse before the missing crank tooth of tdc of cylinder nr1 is the pulse of cylinder nr2, should I leave that tooth on? Bit confused about this bit.
Rover Vitesse 3.5
MS3 full-sequential
36-1 triggerwheel
Direct coil control
racingmini_mtl
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by racingmini_mtl »

sd1nl wrote:Which tooth would I have to leave on? The first pulse before the missing crank tooth of tdc of cylinder nr1 is the pulse of cylinder nr2, should I leave that tooth on? Bit confused about this bit.
That's the one I would use.

Jean
jbperf.com Main site . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . jbperf.com Forum
sd1nl
Master MS/Extra'er

Post by sd1nl »

Does anyone know what kind of sensor is inside the stock rover v8 DLM8 distributor? Some say it is a hall sensor, but it has only two wire so it looks more like a VR sensor.
Rover Vitesse 3.5
MS3 full-sequential
36-1 triggerwheel
Direct coil control
DaveEFI
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by DaveEFI »

It's a VR sensor. I have used it with other aftermarket ignition systems that are designed for a VR sensor, so it should be fine with MS. Its connector to the amp uses standard (IIRC 1/8") spade connectors, so easy to make one up.

I'm going down the same route as you - MS3X and sequential. Not fitted yet. So we'll be able to compare notes when done. Only difference is I'm using EDIS, and will fit a cut down dizzy to provide the cam signal. One difficulty is the fuel rail for later high impedance injectors. The stock ones have the in and out on the wrong side.

I've also decided to use a Bosch PWM idle valve instead of a stepper motor which fits to the plenum were the stepper goes.

Rover SD1 3.5 EFI
MS2 V3
EDIS
Tech Edge O2
London UK.
sd1nl
Master MS/Extra'er

Post by sd1nl »

Looks good the pwm. Think it will be better than the stepper I use.

Looking forward to compare msq's. Maybe we'll be able to meet up in the uk sonewhere along the line. I usually go there once a year in the Rover.

Rene
Rover Vitesse 3.5
MS3 full-sequential
36-1 triggerwheel
Direct coil control
sd1nl
Master MS/Extra'er

Post by sd1nl »

image.jpg
My engine bay. Stock at first sight.