Variable Pulse Width

General support questions and announcements for MS3. See also MS3 manuals.

Moderators: jsmcortina, muythaibxr

OrangeAlpine
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Variable Pulse Width

Post by OrangeAlpine »

Suddenly started getting highly variable pulse width. In an effort to trouble shoot the problem, I have "dumbed down" the MSQ to basic start up parameters. No luck. While checking the log, I noticed the battery voltage was 13.8 instead of the normal 14.5. Could the two be connected?

I'm wondering if as the alternator is dying, AC is bleeding through, causing the erratic behavior.

Bill
jsmcortina
Site Admin

Re: Variable Pulse Width

Post by jsmcortina »

:msq:
I can repair or upgrade Megasquirts in UK. http://www.jamesmurrayengineering.co.uk

My Success story: http://www.msextra.com/forums/viewtopic ... 04&t=34277
MSEXTRA documentation at: http://www.msextra.com/doc/index.html
New users, please read the "Forum Help Page".
DaveEFI
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by DaveEFI »

OrangeAlpine wrote:Suddenly started getting highly variable pulse width. In an effort to trouble shoot the problem, I have "dumbed down" the MSQ to basic start up parameters. No luck. While checking the log, I noticed the battery voltage was 13.8 instead of the normal 14.5. Could the two be connected?

I'm wondering if as the alternator is dying, AC is bleeding through, causing the erratic behavior.

Bill
13.8v is the normal reading for a battery on charge but fully charged. Any higher, and you risk excess 'gassing'. It will be higher if charging a low battery, though.
Rover SD1 3.5 EFI
MS2 V3
EDIS
Tech Edge O2
London UK.
OrangeAlpine
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by OrangeAlpine »

2015-05-13_20.34.46.msl
2015-05-14_10.46.21.msq
Here are the logs.
billr
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by billr »

In the log posted, PW is near-constant at about 2.4 msec. Can you post a better example of the "highly variable pulse width"?
OrangeAlpine
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by OrangeAlpine »

Sorry about all of my inadequacies. What with my computer ineptness, balky computer and inexperience with TS, it has been a circus. So I will try again.

The problem started quite suddenly and is variable. Just before making this log, the car was running fine. Shortly afterward, it got much worse.

Bill
billr
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by billr »

Was that most recent run log taken with an SD card? Many of the interesting data fields are not there. Take another log, when the PW is fluttering, using the same method you used with the first log posted.
OrangeAlpine
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by OrangeAlpine »

Bill, the first log was taken with a new computer that I no longer find usable. Dug out an old computer that I stopped using because I suspected it was modifying the tune without my input. Giving the computer swap no thought, I made the new log. After posting the log I realised that a lot of needed data fields were probably missing. In the meantime, it appears the old 'puter is up to it's old tricks.

Won't be able to make a new log for several days.

Oh how we struggle!

Bill
billr
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by billr »

Something sounds kind of strange there. I would think the MS firmware (and TS) would be pretty immune to having a computer make unintended changes to a tune, "all on its own". And, if it can do that, I would expect it could corrupt data being logged, that "variable PW" being seen may not be real! I suggest you post your firmware and TS version, as well as the TS OS and version. I can't tell anything from that info, but maybe one of the software experts will see something.
OrangeAlpine
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by OrangeAlpine »

One more time.

Firmware is 1.3.2 Tuner Studio MS v2.5.05

Whatever is wrong is now getting worse pretty quickly. It is now running so poorly I hesitate to take it out of the garage.

Bill
OrangeAlpine
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by OrangeAlpine »

Log downloaded 9 times and no comment.

Any ideas?

This is a DIY preassembled unit. Is this repairable? Need a new MS? Running ms3x, do I need just the main board?

Bill
jsmcortina
Site Admin

Post by jsmcortina »

I looked at the log but didn't see anything that jumped out as wrong. Probably the same for others.

Whatever you are experiencing is most likely a tuning issue.

James
I can repair or upgrade Megasquirts in UK. http://www.jamesmurrayengineering.co.uk

My Success story: http://www.msextra.com/forums/viewtopic ... 04&t=34277
MSEXTRA documentation at: http://www.msextra.com/doc/index.html
New users, please read the "Forum Help Page".
OrangeAlpine
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by OrangeAlpine »

jsmcortina wrote:I looked at the log but didn't see anything that jumped out as wrong. Probably the same for others.

Whatever you are experiencing is most likely a tuning issue.

James
The tune has not been changed from the initial msq posted above. How can the tune deteriorate? It went from running very good to very bad overnight and the problem exists from idle up to at least 3,000 rpm under all conditions. I drove the car 12,000 miles last year, taking several long trips. It is now difficult to even get it out of the garage, which is the reason for the high idle log.

Bill
Matt Cramer
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by Matt Cramer »

Try reloading the firmware and a known good tune, and see if the problem goes away.
Matt Cramer -1966 Dodge Dart slant six running on MS3X
billr
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by billr »

I gotta ask... have you checked compression? Do you have a sensor for fuel pressure, to log that? I assume there is no cat on the exhaust that may have gotten plugged, correct?
OrangeAlpine
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by OrangeAlpine »

Bill, no cat, fuel pressure sensor or compression check. I understand how these things could impact AFR, but cannot see how they could influence injector pulse width.

Should get the firmware and tune reinstalled tomorrow. Waiting the the family computer genius. Me - I'm what you would call "Computer stupid".

So I wait.

Bill
OrangeAlpine
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by OrangeAlpine »

At the moment, it appears to have been in the tune. We reinstalled the firmware, but retained the current tune as I lost all the good, recent tunes (they were in the laptop that croaked). We then installed a tune from a year ago. Started and ran okay, but not the best. So I manually entered the fuel and timing values from the corrupted tune. Basic tune runs fine in the garage. Now for some road time then turn on the more advanced features, like Accel an Idle.

Needless to say, I have no idea of the real problem.

Many thanks to all.

Bill
OrangeAlpine
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by OrangeAlpine »

Whatever the problem, reinstalling firmware and software did not help. Ran for about 5 miles before going haywire.

Bill
Matt Cramer
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by Matt Cramer »

Please post a "haywire" data log. This will give everyone more to go on.
Matt Cramer -1966 Dodge Dart slant six running on MS3X
OrangeAlpine
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by OrangeAlpine »

The appropriate logs should be attached. Don't know for sure, think I might be loosing my mind with all the computer issues. Today the pulse width gradually decreased. The other, on the road, it was bouncing around.

Bill