Adding a resistive sensor

General support questions and announcements for MS3. See also MS3 manuals.

Moderators: jsmcortina, muythaibxr

Schuyler
MS/Extra Newbie

Adding a resistive sensor

Post by Schuyler »

So I am attempting to add a resistive coolant temp sensor from a saturn for my oil temp. I had found it online, on msextra I think, where people recommended using it. However, my understanding was I just put 1 lead to ground and 1 lead to an analog input (EGO2) on the ms3x card. Set to GM calibration. Did not work, and the values are crazy, and jumped a lot. Do I need to a 12V pullup with a 1k resistor to make this work? Or is there something else I am doing wrong?
elutionsdesign
Super MS/Extra'er

Re: Adding a resistive sensor

Post by elutionsdesign »

Ground is sensor ground, correct? Back to the MS unit?
Graduate of EFI University.

I build, repair, install and tune Megasquirt systems in North Dakota and beyond!
kjones6039
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by kjones6039 »

Schuyler wrote:just put 1 lead to ground and 1 lead to an analog input (EGO2) on the ms3x card.
I don't know anything about MS3, but I suspect that your ground should go to sensor return, as with all other MS sensor grounds!

I could be wrong, but I don't think so.

Ken
Last edited by kjones6039 on Sun May 24, 2015 8:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
1979 Corvette - 383 CID SBC w/ Holley Pro-Jection 900 CFM TBI, 4-85 lb lo-z injectors & Walbro 255 pump
MS2 v3 w/extra 3.4.2 Release
36-1, Delphi LS2/7 coils in wasted spark, driven by v2.0 logic board from JBPerformance
Spartan Lambda Sensor from 14point7
TinyIOX from JBPerformance
grom_e30
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by grom_e30 »

did you fit a resistor to the ms3x card??
R65,R66,R67 are optional 'bias' resistors on the analogue inputs EXT_MAP, EGO2, SPARE_ADC respectively.
These would be typically used when connecting a resistive temperature sensor to one of the inputs. For
standard calibration, use a 2.49K resistor with a GM style coolant or air temperature sensor.
1990 bmw 320i daily driver with m20b25 ms3 sequential fuel, 380cc injectors, d585 coil near plug, home made cam sync, launch control, fan control, vss, homebrew egt logging what's next????
billr
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by billr »

You are going to need a 2490 ohm pull-up to the 5V ref; you need to build an input circuit similar to that existing for the (standard GM) CLT and MAT sensors. Look at the V3.0 mainboard schematics.

Ah, I see I was too slow in typing! Besides, the rely above is more thorough.
Schuyler
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by Schuyler »

Thanks! I will add the resistor to the board. I did not use the sensor ground... Maybe I should consider moving the ground.