Adding an NTC oil temperature sensor to MS3pro

General support questions and announcements for MS3. See also MS3 manuals.

Moderators: jsmcortina, muythaibxr

Baxsie
MS/Extra Newbie

Adding an NTC oil temperature sensor to MS3pro

Post by Baxsie »

I wanted to add an oil temperature sensor.

I have an air-cooled VW, my CLT is reading head temp using a GM sensor, and the AIT is also using a GM sensor, both of which work fine. I have a separate Baro sensor connected to analog input 1.

So I hooked my oil temp sensor up to analog in 2, using a 1K pull-up.

In the Advanced Engine/Generic Sensor Inputs, I made Sensor 01 look at Analog In 2 and named it Oil Temp. If I set it to RAW and assign it to a gauge, the ADC reading corresponds nicely to what I would expect from my spreadsheet, the cold engine temperature and reading the sensor with my ohmmeter. So I am pretty sure that the hardware is good.

I can easily generate a table with 1024 lines, each containing a number that corresponds to the sensor temperature in degrees F for that ADC reading.

How can I tell the system to use my table? I understand that I need to create an INC file, but when I copy example INC files into my C:\Users\Brent\Documents\TunerStudioProjects\(project) or C:\Users\Brent\Documents\TunerStudioProjects\(project)\inc or C:\Users\Brent\Documents\TunerStudioProjects\(project)\projectCfg directories, the system does not seem to know about them.

What I really want is for my thermistor table to show up in the "Transformation" pull-down of the Generic Sensor Inputs dialog, right?

Do I need to edit the very scary mainController.ini file?

Can someone walk me through the step-by-step of how to add an NTC oil temperature sensor to the MS3Pro software?

Or if you can point me to a tutorial or example somewhere?

Thanks in advance for any help you can offer.
MS3Pro in Air-Cooled VW 2085cc
grom_e30
Super MS/Extra'er

Re: Adding an NTC oil temperature sensor to MS3pro

Post by grom_e30 »

when i added my oil temp sensor i used the same sensor as my water temp and use the same sized bias (pull up) resistor as what is used inside the ecu for its sensors that way i could use the same calibration data without having to edit any ini files
1990 bmw 320i daily driver with m20b25 ms3 sequential fuel, 380cc injectors, d585 coil near plug, home made cam sync, launch control, fan control, vss, homebrew egt logging what's next????
Baxsie
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by Baxsie »

. . . used the same sensor as my water temp . . .
Due to size constraints, I used a smaller sensor. The GM sensor would have been very bulky to fit in. The one I have is 1/8 NPT.

In my head, I just thought it would be fairly simple to add a new "oil temperature" sensor to the MegaSquirt.

Under "Tools", "Calibrate Thermistor Tables" I see the pull down for "custom inc file", but it can only be applied to "Coolant Temperature Sensor" or "Air Temperature Sensor". Is that where it needs to go? How would I add "Oil Temperature Sensor"? How would I link that back to the generic inputs?
grom_e30
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by grom_e30 »

can you find a sensor that uses the gm calibration but has the 1/8th thread i seem to remember someone mentioning that they do exist.

as far as im aware you cannot add another inc file.. and if you mod the ini i believe the data logged would be the raw adc value where as if u do it the way i mentioned it will show the actual temp in data logs.
1990 bmw 320i daily driver with m20b25 ms3 sequential fuel, 380cc injectors, d585 coil near plug, home made cam sync, launch control, fan control, vss, homebrew egt logging what's next????
billr
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by billr »

Standard Motor Products #TX73 is a GM temp sensor with 1/8" NPT; was used on '91-'01 S-series Saturns.
grom_e30
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by grom_e30 »

billr wrote:Standard Motor Products #TX73 is a GM temp sensor with 1/8" NPT; was used on '91-'01 S-series Saturns.
boom :D

for this to work you will need to use the same pull up resistor the ms3 pro uses for its other sensors i think its a 2.49k.
Baxsie
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by Baxsie »

Hey guys, thanks for the help. If I had only known that it was this big of a deal to add a new sensor, I would have got a GM compatible one for sure,

Well I guess I could drain the oil again, throw away the sensor I just bought, cut off and throw out the cable end, order a new sensor, order a new connector, cut away the 1K pull-up, throw that out, order a 2.49K 1% from DigiKey then solder/crimp/heat shrink/install it all back together and put new oil in.

There I was thinking that it would be easier to type a bit to fix it :(

Heh, maybe I'll just log it as raw ADC, print out a little chart and tape to to the dash :)

"Oh man, the oil temp is up to 219, if it gets up to 199 we are going to have to pull over and let it cool down."
billr
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by billr »

I think there is a way to do this with just TS settings, I don't know how myself; I was just offering the TX73 info. Wait for somebody else to join in.
grom_e30
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by grom_e30 »

http://www.msextra.com/doc/pdf/Megasqui ... ce-1.3.pdf

pages 224 & 225 covers the generic sensors.
Baxsie
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by Baxsie »

grom_e30 wrote: . . . Megasquirt3_TunerStudio_MS_Lite_Reference-1.3.pdf: pages 224 & 225 covers the generic sensors.
Yes. But the only choices are the canned choices that came pre-programmed, with no option for a custom thermistor curve.

It appears that there is a limitation of only two thermistor tables. You can modify either one of them in the "Calibrate Thermistor Tables" dialog, but at the end of the day it looks like there is only one table for "Coolant Temperature Sensor" and one table for "Air Temperature Sensor".

Since both my CLT (head) and IAT/MAT are "GM" sensors, I thought of making one table "GM" and a second custom table for my custom thermistor. But that does not work, since it looks like the CLT is hard coded to use only the "Coolant Temperature Sensor" and the "IAT/MAT" is hardcoded to use only the "Air Temperature Sensor". So even though I only have two thermistor curves active in the system (CLT and IAT/MAT are all "GM", plus my custom curve for the oil temperature), it still cannot work since the CLT and IAT are coded to use one each of the two (identical, in my case) curves.

I hope that I am wrong, and that there is a way to add an additional thermistor table. It seems like a pretty serious limitation, and in general it the MS team does not code themselves into a corner like that.

I am starting to see why you recommended just junking my new/expensive/accurate sensor and getting a "GM" curve one :(
grom_e30
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by grom_e30 »

the options are to same as clt, same as mat or gm calibration.... i wonder where it takes the gm calibration from?? could you in theory edit that gm calibration to match your sensor, then create a custom inc using the gm data for you mat and clt sensors.
racingmini_mtl
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by racingmini_mtl »

If this is for logging and display purposes only, you can create a custom.ini file and use the 'table' function which will use you inc file. Since this is a TunerStudio function, ask on the TunerStudio forum how to create this if you need help.

Jean
jbperf.com Main site . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . jbperf.com Forum
Baxsie
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by Baxsie »

I'll look into what it takes to do the custom. Inc.

I did have in mind to use this oil temperature reading, the oil pressure, and the CLT (actually my CHT) in combination to activate the CEL (check engine light). Maybe that could be done with the raw ADC information.

We also plan to run Shadow Dash on a tablet. I wonder if Shadow Dash would have the same problem showing customer sensors in real life units.
vw_chuck
Master MS/Extra'er

Post by vw_chuck »

This is tragic. I thought MS3X was supposed to be the most flexible ECU out there. They don't even have basic transfer function mapping for different sensors. What is the deal???
Reverant
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by Reverant »

Agreed, we should be able to add at least two more tables for custom transfer functions.
The man behind MS Labs
2005 Audi A3 2.0L TFSI DSG AWD - Extreme MS3
2002 Mazda Miata 1.8 6sp - Enhanced MS3 1.4.0, sequential injection, sequential ignition, big turbo, lots of boost
jsmcortina
Site Admin

Post by jsmcortina »

I'd hardly call it a tragedy. However, I already plan to remove the old-style MAF calibration and make it a customisable calibration for sensors.

James
I can repair or upgrade Megasquirts in UK. http://www.jamesmurrayengineering.co.uk

My Success story: http://www.msextra.com/forums/viewtopic ... 04&t=34277
MSEXTRA documentation at: http://www.msextra.com/doc/index.html
New users, please read the "Forum Help Page".
billr
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by billr »

Yeah, that GM sensor I referenced before can be had (new) for about $10; hardly a "tragedy" to have to use it and not fuss with cal curves.
vw_chuck
Master MS/Extra'er

Post by vw_chuck »

This is for a generic sensor input. It is doubtful you would be using a GM coolant temp or air temp sensor again since you are already measuring these temps. What if you want to measure something higher temp than 300f like EGT or something? What if you need something smaller to fit in a tight region?
That GM sensor is very limited.
grom_e30
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by grom_e30 »

a lot of bosch sensors use he same calibration as other bosch sensors, and are smaller m12 or m10 thread size.

for egt you usually use a thermocouple these require some form of a signal amp so usually output a 0-5v linier signal
billr
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by billr »

Aren't we wandering "out in the weeds" here? This thread started with asking about an "NTC sensor", which I think means "negative-temperature-coefficient" and applies commonly to thermistors; none of which are going to hold up in high temperatures. Further, the OP was concerned only with MAT, CLT, and oil temp; all well in the range of standard sensors. For higher temps, or other inputs needing custom cal curves, there are several ways MS can handle those.