MS3x first start - questions...

General support questions and announcements for MS3. See also MS3 manuals.

Moderators: jsmcortina, muythaibxr

AlexLTDLX
Helpful MS/Extra'er

MS3x first start - questions...

Post by AlexLTDLX »

I hope I'm posting this in the right place. After fiddling with the VR pots (and to my surprise), the car fired right up. It's an SBF using a duraspark distributor (and the VR pickup in the distributor). Upon hot re-start, however, it wouldn't fire. I switched the trigger to "falling edge" and it seemed much better, but wouldn't stay running - it seemed lean.

Here are my questions:

1. Looking at this screen shot:

Why is the "sync" box red? It stays red all the time. And what are the other marked boxes? And what do the markings mean? (is there some place that gives a key?)

2. In the screenshot, you'll notice that my AFR is way rich - my LC-1 isn't connected to the megasquirt yet. Can I use an input on the 3x expansion board for the O2 and retain full functionality? My main harness is a little cramped.

3. For hot restart, what should I adjust? Air temp correction? (or whatever MS calls it - I've had a Haltech for 20 years - still learning my way around these parts)

Thanks!
-alex
AlexLTDLX
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Re: MS3x first start - questions...

Post by AlexLTDLX »

I got my answer to #1 in the TS forum; I think I know the answer to #2 (confirmation would make me feel better); and #3 is still an open question.
Matt Cramer
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by Matt Cramer »

Yes, you can assign any analog input to be the O2 input.

For starting fuel tips, see this link.

http://www.diyautotune.com/tech_article ... uning.html
Matt Cramer -1966 Dodge Dart slant six running on MS3X
AlexLTDLX
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by AlexLTDLX »

Thanks Matt. I found that page late last night. Since my IAT sensor is mounted in the lower intake manifold, I'm betting that's the issue and I'd probably be best served by disabling it during ASE.

Are there any tricks to determine if I've got the proper VR "edge" selected? I had to change from rising edge to falling edge, because it wouldn't start at all when warm with rising edge.
Matt Cramer
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by Matt Cramer »

Set the timing to fixed angle and check with a timing light. If the timing is stable, you're on the correct edge.
Matt Cramer -1966 Dodge Dart slant six running on MS3X
AlexLTDLX
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by AlexLTDLX »

Checked it today - seems fairly stable. Thanks for the help.