sync loss reason 2

General support questions and announcements for MS3. See also MS3 manuals.

Moderators: jsmcortina, muythaibxr

jeffmarsh750
Experienced MS/Extra'er

Re: sync loss reason 2

Post by jeffmarsh750 »

You should not run R plugs with resistant wires. If all this is needed to correct sync loss maybe it is time to look elsewhere for solutions.
Fastest MS powered vehicle on the planet ! 6.60@208mph
kjones6039
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by kjones6039 »

jeffmarsh750 wrote:You should not run R plugs with resistant wires.
I would be very interested in understanding the rationale behind that statement....... Please explain!

Ken
1979 Corvette - 383 CID SBC w/ Holley Pro-Jection 900 CFM TBI, 4-85 lb lo-z injectors & Walbro 255 pump
MS2 v3 w/extra 3.4.2 Release
36-1, Delphi LS2/7 coils in wasted spark, driven by v2.0 logic board from JBPerformance
Spartan Lambda Sensor from 14point7
TinyIOX from JBPerformance
jeffmarsh750
Experienced MS/Extra'er

Post by jeffmarsh750 »

You only need 1 resistor in the circuit for the plugs and wires. You should have a better spark with less resistance. Resistor plugs with resistant wires will probably not help with any noise issue. A good set of wires is your best bet.
kjones6039
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by kjones6039 »

jeffmarsh750 wrote:You should have a better spark with less resistance
Thanks for the clarification, but I respectfully disagree.

Given the extremely low current generated by the ignition coil, I would submit that the voltage drop across the plug/coil combination (guessing here- maybe ~10k?)is probably negligible.

Ken
1979 Corvette - 383 CID SBC w/ Holley Pro-Jection 900 CFM TBI, 4-85 lb lo-z injectors & Walbro 255 pump
36-1, Delphi LS2/7 coils in wasted spark, driven by v2.0 logic board from JBPerformance
kjones6039
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by kjones6039 »

jeffmarsh750 wrote:You should have a better spark with less resistance
Thanks for the clarification, but I respectfully disagree.

Given the extremely low current generated by the ignition coil, I would submit that the voltage drop across the plug/coil combination (guessing here- maybe ~10k Ω)is probably negligible.

Ken
jeffmarsh750
Experienced MS/Extra'er

Post by jeffmarsh750 »

Ken,
do you actually feel that adding a 10k resistor plug to a set of quality wires will reduce electrical noise or EMFI that interferes with cam, crank or input sensors ? And if so how many MJ drop across the plug would you expect to see saying we started with 200mj.
kaeman
Master MS/Extra'er

Post by kaeman »

yves,
I was having some issues with sync loss when I first fired up my engine I ended up going to the noise filtering on the ignition settings tab, (don't turn on the noise filter enabled, leave it set to off) turn on the TACH PERIOD REJECTION mode and set it for .1ms and 10%. I was able to cure my sync loss using .2 ms and 10%, haven't had a sync loss since, I have a 36-1 wheel and the same sensor as you are using. you will need to set the time to .1ms and 10 % for your trigger wheel. Give this a try.
it will allow you to log any issues, it just stops them from affecting your engine control.

Ken, I second your findings, I have talked to lots of engine builders and tuners, they all recommend using both resistor plugs and resistor wires together for the spark..... if using efi or cdi ignition..etc. Also all the manufacturers seem to think resistor wires and resistor plugs should be used together.. but then again they have to warranty the vehicles.
64 el camino, 383 SBC, 11.7 to1 CR, accufab tb/rhs intake, 44lb injectors, trick flow heads, xr292r solid roller cam, belt drive camshaft, dry sump oil system, 2400 stall, turbo 350, spooled 9 inch, strange axles, 3.89 gears, dual wideband, full sequential fuel/cop, MS3x using 1.4.1 code.
kjones6039
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by kjones6039 »

jeffmarsh750 wrote:do you actually feel that adding a 10k resistor plug to a set of quality wires will reduce electrical noise or EMFI that interferes with cam, crank or input sensors ?
Yes. I think the empirical evidence presented on this forum comes down in favor of that belief.

Now, I think we have managed to ignore the OP's (Yves) original issue, so I am going to get the hell out of the way so he can get the help he was asking for! Something about sync lose, wasn't it? :D

As we say in my profession, 'further, your affiant sayeth not' :lol:

Ken
Yves
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by Yves »

Thanks for the input. Wires are brand new msd 8.5 mm. I measured resistance and it's 0.

As soon as i get back home and repaired my exhaust ( blew up my muffler last time) i'm going to give the noise reduction a try. If that fails i will try the holley sensor that was meant for my trigger wheel.
Yves
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by Yves »

kaeman wrote:yves,
I was having some issues with sync loss when I first fired up my engine I ended up going to the noise filtering on the ignition settings tab, (don't turn on the noise filter enabled, leave it set to off) turn on the TACH PERIOD REJECTION mode and set it for .1ms and 10%. I was able to cure my sync loss using .2 ms and 10%, haven't had a sync loss since, I have a 36-1 wheel and the same sensor as you are using. you will need to set the time to .1ms and 10 % for your trigger wheel. Give this a try.
it will allow you to log any issues, it just stops them from affecting your engine control.

Ken, I second your findings, I have talked to lots of engine builders and tuners, they all recommend using both resistor plugs and resistor wires together for the spark..... if using efi or cdi ignition..etc. Also all the manufacturers seem to think resistor wires and resistor plugs should be used together.. but then again they have to warranty the vehicles.
I have tried this and so far it has worked.