MS3X harness construction

General support questions and announcements for MS3. See also MS3 manuals.

Moderators: jsmcortina, muythaibxr

Gregetter
Helpful MS/Extra'er

MS3X harness construction

Post by Gregetter »

I've built my MS3 and am waiting until a little cash becomes available to purchase the Expander Board. So, I'm starting to think about the cables. Having built aviation cables before, I'm not intimidated by the thought but I haven't been unable to gather the information I need to start to plan the harness construction. I'm sure some of this information is in the hardware manual so I know I need to sit down and plan out my connections and routing. Does anyone know of a comprehensive source for termination points for the two DB37 connectors. Also, I haven't seen anything about Wire Gauges required. Since the signals and even power connections that I've seen in the manual are less than 5 amps, my assuption is that 22 Awg would be fine. (I hope so, I have several hundred feet of MilSpec Aviation 22 awg) I've also got some 22 or 24 shield twisted pair. Does this seem reasonable for signal wiring?
So to sumarize,
Is there a comprehensive hook up table?
Are there wire sizes required in excess of 22AWG.

PS. I'm new to MS and this forum and so far I've very happy with what I've seen and read here. Great community!!

Donny
brianj5600
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Re: MS3X harness construction

Post by brianj5600 »

i'm searching for tips on harnesses too. I will be going through search results. Anyone have good links to share?
1967 Mustang Coupe, 351w, S475 turbo, MS3.0 3x, c4, 8.8, ls coils, e85
DaveEFI
Super MS/Extra'er

Re: MS3X harness construction

Post by DaveEFI »

Gregetter wrote:I've built my MS3 and am waiting until a little cash becomes available to purchase the Expander Board. So, I'm starting to think about the cables. Having built aviation cables before, I'm not intimidated by the thought but I haven't been unable to gather the information I need to start to plan the harness construction. I'm sure some of this information is in the hardware manual so I know I need to sit down and plan out my connections and routing. Does anyone know of a comprehensive source for termination points for the two DB37 connectors. Also, I haven't seen anything about Wire Gauges required. Since the signals and even power connections that I've seen in the manual are less than 5 amps, my assuption is that 22 Awg would be fine. (I hope so, I have several hundred feet of MilSpec Aviation 22 awg) I've also got some 22 or 24 shield twisted pair. Does this seem reasonable for signal wiring?
So to sumarize,
Is there a comprehensive hook up table?
Are there wire sizes required in excess of 22AWG.

PS. I'm new to MS and this forum and so far I've very happy with what I've seen and read here. Great community!!

Donny
Personally, I'd use a different colour for each circuit. Only use the same colour where it really is the same circuit. An injection engine loom from scrap yard can be a good cheap source of assorted wiring colours. And obviously will use the correct gauge wires. Measure it up to make sure it is long enough. If you choose carefully, it may well have the correct injector plugs so you can use those and their wiring right back to the DB37. And maybe also with some sensors. In the UK, I generally use Range Rover looms as a starting point, as they are longer than you need for most installations. Pay about £40 for a good one. So a custom made MS3X 8 cylinder sequential loom costs me under £100 for parts.

The DB 37 connector requires care. You can get crimp types, but in this case I prefer to solder. Place a piece of cardboard between the rows when soldering. Sleeve each wire and pin with heat shrink sleeving as you go. There is a big variety of DB37 housings available from Digi-Key etc ( perhaps side entry) which may be more suitable for your installation than the supplied one.

Draw out your own schematic using the MS one as a guide, and substitute the colours you actually use for the circuits on your schematic. When it comes time to do any revisions etc to your installation, you'll be pleased you did.
Rover SD1 3.5 EFI
MS2 V3
EDIS
Tech Edge O2
London UK.