transfer fuel pumps?

General support questions and announcements for MS3. See also MS3 manuals.

Moderators: jsmcortina, muythaibxr

savagerocco
Master MS/Extra'er

transfer fuel pumps?

Post by savagerocco »

I installed a Bosch 044 in line pump on the GTO I have been building. I originally mounted it high above the diff but had issues not pulling fuel out the sender past half tank so I mounted it below the tank hoping it would work better but it still has issues. The sending unit comes out the top and I didn't think the Bosch pump would have issues but it does. So what are som3 good options? Another external in line pump to feed the Bosch or should I just pull 5he tank and put a pump on the sender?
I had originally hoped the sender was on the side or bottom of the tank but it's not so now I have to rethink the fuel system. Or maybe there is another in life e pump that has better suction?
Brent Savage
life behind the zion curtain
90 audi RS2 20VTQ 6sp MS3, MSX COP and Sequential and now MAF
87 Scirocco 2.0 ABA 16v EIP tubular cast MSII COP
86 Audi 4K20VTQ MSII
90 Audi 90 sedan 3.6l DOHC V8TT (project car)
89 VW cabbie (bitch basket) 2.0 ABA Turbo MSII
ashford
Super MS/Extra'er

Re: transfer fuel pumps?

Post by ashford »

most early cars still had a pickup screen on the sender, i had neverending probems with rust and varnish plugging it up till i replaced the tank.

a good test is to remove the tank cap, plug the supply hose pull it off the pump and blow air through it. then reassemble if it runs good for awhile the screen is getting plugged
prof315
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by prof315 »

None of the Bosch 044 style pumps do well pulling up hill. They all need either a good gravity feed or a transfer pump. An inline low pressure high volume Peirburg style pump will work ok but the best solution would be a low pressure pump feeding an external sump that gravity feeds the 044 or a sump box for the 044 fed by a low pressure pump
Linfert Performance/321 Motorsports
SCCA 2019 SM National Champion Crew Chief
SCCA 2023 FP National Champion Tuner/electrical engineer
100s of MS systems built installed and tuned
Support the developers!
billr
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by billr »

No way to add new in/out ports down low on the tank?