Help with MS3 3.57, VR conditioner, timing avances

General support questions and announcements for MS3. See also MS3 manuals.

Moderators: jsmcortina, muythaibxr

Toma
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Help with MS3 3.57, VR conditioner, timing avances

Post by Toma »

So, have a 2jz here, and I cant get the VR conditioner dialed in.

What happens is, It starts, and runs well, but no matter what I do, with fixed timing at 10 degrees, as I rev the motor, the timing advances by another 10 or 15 degrees.

I've tried flipping around capture edges in the software, monkeyed with the VR pots, toyed with various filter settings, and nadda zilch nula.

Now, for some reason, last night, I swear when the motor was hot (overheating, cause I forgot to load the thermistor values), it SEEMED it was way better.

So stock cam and crank sensors, except crank trigger wheel is now a 12-1 (I took a tooth off).

Attaching latest MSQ, and a composite log of a free rev, if it tells anyone anything.

Now, I had a customer a few weeks ago bring a 2jz with the diyautotune Hal sensor bolted in stock location, with stock wheel, and it had beautiful steady timing as high as I checked it. My experience with the Supra trigger wheel style of tooth, has not been very good, but theirs worked nicely. Is this ok to do, and what would I have to do with this prebuilt MS3/MS3x to convert if I cant get this working nicely?

Thanks
Toma
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Re: Help with MS3 3.57, VR conditioner, timing avances

Post by Toma »

FOUND IT! :yeah!:

Bloody hell lol. Stung by GM Truck coils again. They are mounted in the Valley where stock coils are normally. They must be more tolerant of dwell when hot.

So previous tune I attached, dwell set at 4.0. I lowered to 3.5, and it's beautiful. Raise back to 4 while running, bang, advances.

Its crazy what a pain in the ass these things are.

What's funny is, years ago when everyone was reccomending 5.5ms, they seemed very jittery as they advanced. Since, I've seen them smooth at 4.9. But these advance fairly smoothly right off idle at 4.0ms.

So what's a well behaved coil with good output, that is about that size?