14point7 Spartan 2 problem...

General support questions and announcements for MS3. See also MS3 manuals.

Moderators: jsmcortina, muythaibxr

hobieboy
Master MS/Extra'er

14point7 Spartan 2 problem...

Post by hobieboy »

Hi,
I have just replaced my dead LM1 with the Spartan 2 but can't get it to work and am wondering if I have a defective unit (I have sent email to them but thought I'll ping this board to see if someone had seen same issue before).

As soon as power is on, Tuner Studio start seeing a fluctuating AFR from ~10.2 to 12.5. The LED on the Spartan 2 flashed once then off permanently. If I continue to start the car, the AFR continues this noise-like cycling of AFR.

Has anyone seen something like this? Does it sound like a defective unit?

thanks!
elaw
Super MS/Extra'er

Re: 14point7 Spartan 2 problem...

Post by elaw »

The LED blinked once ever, or once every time you power the unit up?

You're not using the same sensor with the Spartan as with the LM1, are you? The LM1 uses a Bosch LSU 4.2 sensor, the Spartan uses an LSU 4.9. It wouldn't surprise me if something could be fried by connecting the wrong sensor.

Regardless, I'd suggest contacting 14point7 for support, it's probably your best option.
Eric Law
1990 Audi 80 quattro with AAN turbo engine: happily running on MS3+MS3X
2012 Audi A4 quattro, desperately in need of tweaking

Be alert! America needs more lerts.
hobieboy
Master MS/Extra'er

Post by hobieboy »

Eric,
The LED blinks once overtime I power up the unit then stopped (off).
And I did change to the new LSU 4.9 sensor that came with the new unit :)
I have already sent an email to 14point7 asking for help but thought I'll post here to see if anyone else had similar experience before.

thanks!
elaw
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by elaw »

Hmm... something's definitely not right then. I think the LED is supposed to blink slowly until the sensor heats up, then remain on steadily unless the sensor gets too hot in which case it'll blink quickly. So one blink only would indicate a problem.
Eric Law
1990 Audi 80 quattro with AAN turbo engine: happily running on MS3+MS3X
2012 Audi A4 quattro, desperately in need of tweaking

Be alert! America needs more lerts.
hobieboy
Master MS/Extra'er

Post by hobieboy »

I'd like to give an update & close this thread...
As it turned out, the unit is 100% fine. I returned it & Alan emailed back that he tested the unit & shipped it back to me.
The problem turned out to be a faulty relay that I used to power the unit - I didn't take it apart but what happened is that it opens/closes as it should when I used a multimeter to check for +12V. But as soon as the unit starts to draw power something funky happened & the unit never powers up. I simply replaced the relay and all was fine... still a mystery that I'd like to look into later.
What I do want to say is that while the email exchange is not lightning fast, the overall experience with 14point7 is good - no hassle return & he even returned the unit without charging me shipping again.